Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #21

The portion I pay out of my paycheck is going to be up about 16%. Still, that's only around $170 per month.

And what do I get for that increase? A $500 higher deductible and an out of pocket maximum which is $2000 higher than this year.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Megacorp retiree medical/dental went up 4.5% for 2012. Next year I'll be on Medicare with a supplemental Megacorp policy. Don't know the cost for that yet. They don't supplement dental after 65 so that will be all out of pocket. Total cost will probably increase. Still not bad considering what others pay.

Going forward I expect medical costs to continue to increase faster than inflation and coverage to decrease.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I both began Medicare Part B in 2010. Our premiums for 2010 and 2011 have been $115.40 each per month. in 2012 the Medicare Part B premium will be $99.90 each per month. Now our only problem is what to do with all of that extra money.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

My megacorp retiree benefits for medical stayed the same, 0 per month. My DH's megacorp retiree benefits went down from 35.00 a month to 7.19 a month. My dental benefits went up from 22.00 a month to 26.00 a month covering both DH and me. His dental benefits cost nothing a month to cover both of us. Once we get to medicare age, we have to apply for Part A and Part B with our company insurance as secondary. At that point our medical expenses will be going up.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #25

Mine's going up roughly 4.5%. I have several choices for companies and plans withing those companies, and last year I switched from my long-time carrier Blue Cross Blue Shield to a relative newcomer to my employer's (DoD/Fed Govt.) lineup. BCBS costs shot up dramatically at that time and I researched till I found a company that I felt was pretty close in coverage, but less cost. I ended up spending over $110 less per month and so far, I haven't seen any reduction in benefits. In fact, my co-pays & deductibles are actually lower, with lower premiums to boot. I wish I was as good at picking the stock market's moves...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #26

Corporate policy with Blue Cross Shield of IL policy for Fiscal 2012 actually was about 2% lower....but that was mainly due to a high claims record in Fiscal 2010 from a few individuals, which jacked up premiums for Fiscal 2011. Can't recall what my company's dental coverage did...I think went up maybe 10%.

I have my own individual policy in Missouri from Anthem (Blue Cross/Blue Shield). Renewal rate for a $5,500 deductible policy went from $548/yr to $606 (10.6% increase).

I had switched to Anthem for Fiscal 2011 for the first time, as they were significantly lower than all of the competitors (we're talking around 30%-40% lower!). So even though my Fiscal 2012 renewal policy will be 10% higher, it's still substantially lower than any of the other HDHP quotes I had this month from their competition.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

BCBS Luminous went up 21% for me. Partially bracket creep -partial medical inflation.
Hopefully not claim based. I only hit $2,400 of a $5k deductible.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

we have increases every year. usually in the range from 10 to 18 percent. You have to wonder how many years they can have increases like that before it becomes unaffordable. I still haven.t gotten my increase notice for this year but gossip on the internet says thay are asking for 9.6 percent.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

high deductible HSA plan went up only 4% this year, nice surprise.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got my increase notice today. Increase of about 9.3%. My increase happens each February (annual anniversary the month when I started).
Old 12-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #31

I have BCBSIL and my monthly premium cost actually went DOWN rather significantly for 2011 and 2012. The letter I received said the drop was due to fewer and less costly claims. (A couple of folks with major medical problems passed away, which accounted for the greater part of those savings.)

My monthly cost for 2012 dropped from $167.59 down to $158.75, a savings of 5.27%. The cost for the current year (2011) had dropped 8.37% from the 2010 cost.

(My former employer pays 75% & I pay 25%.)
Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Do insurance companies generally change their rates in January? Im on an individual plan Lumenous BC BS and my bill for Jan. and now Feb. is still unchanged. I find that hard to believe, I am safe for another year. I started my plan about a year and a half ago with August being my anniversery date of my plan.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Do insurance companies generally change their rates in January? Im on an individual plan Lumenous BC BS and my bill for Jan. and now Feb. is still unchanged. I find that hard to believe, I am safe for another year. I started my plan about a year and a half ago with August being my anniversery date of my plan.
I don't know what they usually do. My federal (group) BCBS plan charged last year's rates for the January 3rd payment, and they will charge the 2012 rates for the February 1st payment.

Maybe your rates change on your anniversary date for an individual plan?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

I don't know what they usually do. My federal (group) BCBS plan charged last year's rates for the January 3rd payment, and they will charge the 2012 rates for the February 1st payment.

Maybe your rates change on your anniversary date for an individual plan?
I assume it must be next August, and not in Jan. My rate when down last Jan. about $12, then went up about $11 around the 1st anniversary last fall. Maybe Im good until then. Im certainly not going to call and ask
Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I assume it must be next August, and not in Jan. My rate when down last Jan. about $12, then went up about $11 around the 1st anniversary last fall. Maybe Im good until then. Im certainly not going to call and ask
I wouldn't either!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #36

Our HDHP premium went down about $5 ($339 to $334) in January but I'm not sure why. Our anniversary date is May 1.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

My HI is "free" from my employer, but my "retiree" insurance from a former employer went up 11.4%, from $120.55 to $134.38. This includes both medical and dental.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

UHC went from $756/month to $850/month, and that's with a 50% subsidy from megacorp. Very good ins however.

My biggest ER concern (at age 59) is what the cost will be by the time I reach Medicare.

(I'm afraid I know the answer to that Q.....maybe Obama will save me)

B