Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
30 years ago when my sister lost all her teeth &had a full mouth of implants they had to take the bone from her hip so she had surgery. So nice we don't have to do that anymore.

Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thank you to all who have replied to me. I wish I could wave a magic wand and have everything over with and have good teeth. I will be calling my dental student and possibly the dentist over him next week with a list of questions. If anyone else has any experience or anything that I should question, I would love to hear it.

Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #23
My long time dentist proposed a dental implant and I didn't go with it.

Then a few visits later (about a year), he proposes a root canal on another tooth.

He's never been one to push procedures which seemed to be a way to generate revenues. Certainly not when I was working and on a generous insurance plan.

Now that I'm retired (and he knows it), you wouldn't think he'd be pushing it on someone who's less likely to do procedures which are not urgently needed.

The thing is, there are other dentists who actually advertise dental implants for a fraction of what my dentist is proposing. Even when I had insurance, it would have cost me out of pocket around the same as what these other dentists are advertising.

I'm thinking of going to another dentist, just for the regular exam and cleaning, to see if they would also push the same procedures. But it's kind of a hassle to go through Yelp and other review sites, cross-reference against the network which the $20 a month plan that I have.

I've had dentists who push for a lot of procedures. I've left them because I got tired of the hard sell or in one case, a gum line filling she put in came out a few months afterwards and she wanted to charge for fixing it.

There are dental HMO's such as those offered by Costco or Delta Dental. Prices seem too good to be true so I figured those dentists can't be that good. But might as well research them a bit more.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #24
I've heard of dentists proposing expensive procedures that may not be needed. We've been with ours for 10+ years and he's got a good track record. It's one of the reasons I hope he never retires. If he says something needs to be dine, we believe him.

athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote