Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Anyone have an HSA that allows buying of individual stocks?
Old 11-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Anyone have an HSA that allows buying of individual stocks?

I just found out my HSA (Bancorp) is being bought out by Healthequity and they do not have a linked brokerage account set up. Does anyone here have an HSA that has stock buying and selling privileges through it (not just mutual funds)? I have 3 weeks to figure this out or it gets transferred to them which I do not want. Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,487
HSA Bank uses TD Americatrade for investment options. http://www.hsabank.com/hsabank/members/hsa-investments
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
HSA Bank uses TD Americatrade for investment options. http://www.hsabank.com/hsabank/members/hsa-investments

Thanks Michael. Not many that do. I found 3 others but never even heard of them. I have heard of this outfit before and do remember now people being positive about them. Fees look very reasonable to. Now I just have to call them and figure out if I have enough time to do a direct transfer or pull it out and send it myself. I only have 3 weeks so it will be a tight window.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Cobra9777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,136
Go to hsasearch.com. Click on the 'advanced search' option. Next to investments offered, check 'self-directed brokerage'. Click search. You should get 9 results. It would appear that HSA Bank and Select Account are both popular choices. HSA Bank uses TD Ameritrade, while Select Account uses Schwab.
__________________
Retired at 52 in July 2013. On to better things...
AA: 55% stock, 15% real estate, 27% bonds, 3% cash
WR: 2.0% SI: 2 pensions, some rental income, SS later
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,487
Cobra9777, nice link, thanks.

Mulligan, you have a third choice, which is to do a rollover. HSA Transfer €“ HSA Rollover €“ Transfer Funds into an HSA - HSA Bank I use HSA Bank (not a recommendation) and have done yearly transfers and one rollover, all went quickly and smoothly.

Whatever custodian you choose, I would suggest you make sure it be a bank, or a bank subsidiary, and not just a standalone HSA service provider. The regulation of the bank is much more rigorous.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Go to hsasearch.com. Click on the 'advanced search' option. Next to investments offered, check 'self-directed brokerage'. Click search. You should get 9 results. It would appear that HSA Bank and Select Account are both popular choices. HSA Bank uses TD Ameritrade, while Select Account uses Schwab.

Thanks Cobra. I had stumbled unto Select Account on a search but missed HSA Bank. Select looked good but I never even heard of the outfit. Didn't want my money going to Nigeria in my haste to transfer.
This Bancorp outfit are tools slamming me on short notice. And then transferring to another outfit which doesn't offer brokerage, so its a forced liquidation. At least the timing was good as I was still in some cash, but still had 3 issues to sell. One I just bought 100 shares this Monday. Luckily some nitwit had an overbid on a bid price so I sold them to him and will come out a few bucks ahead anyways. Still it irks me.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Cobra9777, nice link, thanks.

Mulligan, you have a third choice, which is to do a rollover. HSA Transfer – HSA Rollover – Transfer Funds into an HSA - HSA Bank I use HSA Bank (not a recommendation) and have done yearly transfers and one rollover, all went quickly and smoothly.

Whatever custodian you choose, I would suggest you make sure it be a bank, or a bank subsidiary, and not just a standalone HSA service provider. The regulation of the bank is much more rigorous.

Im going with your call, Michael. If I remembered correctly you got screwed over on an HSA several years ago, so I assumed your vetting on this one was probably pretty thorough.
I just called and they said they should be able to do the transfer within the time period through that link you just sent. Its funny how I can remember things like your HSA problem, but cant remember what I was supposed to do 10 minutes ago...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,134
I've been with what is now HSA Bank for eight years and haven't had any issues with them.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
Coolius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 683
Happy to see that you got good information and solutions from the forum members.

The rollover is the best option by far. saves you the hassle of doing paperwork, selling shares at possible loss, and time spent on forms and the phone.

Hope things go smoothly for you.
__________________
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Im going with your call, Michael. If I remembered correctly you got screwed over on an HSA several years ago, so I assumed your vetting on this one was probably pretty thorough.
I just called and they said they should be able to do the transfer within the time period through that link you just sent. Its funny how I can remember things like your HSA problem, but cant remember what I was supposed to do 10 minutes ago...
Ah, yes. I had Shawnee HSA, a service company, which used Canopy Financial, a non-bank custodian. The Canopy execs are all either in prison or dead, for using the HSA funds as their personal spending accounts. The Shawnee team set up shop under a different name and are out giving others the same cut-rate second class lousy service as before.

There are just a few banks that offer HSA accounts directly. Most, like Wells Fargo, use a subsidiary. Not sure why. HSA bank is a subsidiary of Webster Bank.

As for your memory, don't give it a second thought. Even if you do it won't matter much, you'll never remember.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Whatever custodian you choose, I would suggest you make sure it be a bank, or a bank subsidiary, and not just a standalone HSA service provider. The regulation of the bank is much more rigorous.
Great point. I knew Jeremy Blackburn personally from the article below. I never could figure out how the guy had so much money at an early age. I once received $200 for ~45 minutes of work I did for the guy. I mowed the guys 1/4 acre lot and got paid $200.

Canopy Financial was a financial technology vendor in the health savings account area.

Quote:
Two co-founders of Canopy Financial, Inc., a bankrupt health care transaction software company based here, have been sentenced to 15 and 13 years in prison for defrauding investors and clients of more than $93 million.
https://www.fbi.gov/chicago/press-re...-600-customers
__________________
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Great point. I knew Jeremy Blackburn personally from the article below. I never could figure out how the guy had so much money at an early age. I once received $200 for ~45 minutes of work I did for the guy. I mowed the guys 1/4 acre lot and got paid $200.



Canopy Financial was a financial technology vendor in the health savings account area.







https://www.fbi.gov/chicago/press-re...-600-customers

If that would have happened to me I would have personally begged the Judge to cut the prison sentence in half.....Provided I was allowed the opportunity to beat the crap out them for an hour first or until I was too tired to punch anymore.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,847
Elements Financial links to TD Ameritrade.
__________________
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Geez, what a cluster getting signed up already... Started yesterday evening and 3 phone calls later, I am finally in just "pending status" for a few more days. Every organization anymore treats a PO Box address like your a drug lord running under an alias... Yes, law abiding citizens in small towns actually still own homes and have a PO Box!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Gotadimple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've been with what is now HSA Bank for eight years and haven't had any issues with them.
+1
They are a little slow to produce the monthly bank statement, but the website is easy to navigate. Customer Service is excellant.

- Rita
__________________
Only got A dimple, would have preferred 2!
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
+1
They are a little slow to produce the monthly bank statement, but the website is easy to navigate. Customer Service is excellant.

- Rita

What I have liked in 3 phone calls with them is they actually hire American customer service agents who speak in a language I understand.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Geez, what a cluster getting signed up already... Started yesterday evening and 3 phone calls later, I am finally in just "pending status" for a few more days. Every organization anymore treats a PO Box address like your a drug lord running under an alias... Yes, law abiding citizens in small towns actually still own homes and have a PO Box!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My old boss lived on 200+ acres.... had a PO box...

BUT, there is a difference in your house address and your mailing address.... if you are not willing to give out your physical address, then expect to be treated like a drug lord...
__________________
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Anyone have an HSA that allows buying of individual stocks?
Old 11-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Anyone have an HSA that allows buying of individual stocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My old boss lived on 200+ acres.... had a PO box...

BUT, there is a difference in your house address and your mailing address.... if you are not willing to give out your physical address, then expect to be treated like a drug lord...

I have no problem giving out my physical address in fact giving it out usually causes the problems I get. Application asked for address so I just write the PO Box on first line physical address on second line this usually solves most problems....Application was blocked saying they do not take PO Box.... So I flipped it and put physical first then PO...It went through but no response... Called agent to inquire and she said it was blocked and denied also because the Po Box was on application... If I dont put the PO Box on application nothing will ever get sent to me. The materials would be rejected by mail and sent back. Plus then a second problem would occur as none of the info would correlate with HSA I am transferring from.
On third call was able to get an agent who could override the application and get the PO Box mailing address established.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
BTW- I believe most of the PO Box issues with regulations are stemmed from 9-11 legislation. Nothing sinister with the PO Box. 15 years ago I moved to this town, renting, knowing I would buy a house. It is such a pain to transfer all addresses so I just set up a PO Box so I wouldn't have to change addresses again. Its on my daily walk trail so I pick it up on the walk. Some transactions cause huge problems so I am used it, yet others are no problem at all. Im still at the point to keep it as is and complain rather than make one out in front of my yard and change all my address.
Plus I would have to build a fancy brick one to match everybody else's as the "hood" wouldnt appreciate a box sitting on top of a post.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
If that would have happened to me I would have personally begged the Judge to cut the prison sentence in half.....Provided I was allowed the opportunity to beat the crap out them for an hour first or until I was too tired to punch anymore.
I wanted to sit down with him at some point over a lunch to see how someone could be so successful at such a young age. As it turned out, I could have just as well talked to a bank robber.

And not that tattoos mean anything, but this guy had two full sleeves that you could not place a dime on either of his arms and not touch a tattoo. His back was the same way. He said it was from a "different life", when he had a motorcycle shop. It was a far cry from being a 31-year old white-collar worker wearing a suit and tie. As he progressed, I wondered "how can you go from that much ink to a million-dollar lifestyle at just over 35 years old?" It was a bit of a fascination for me.

Ferrari's, Range Rovers, a Shelby, $60K+ motorcycle, $800K house in MN, home in Malibu, CA, a horse ranch, etc. And that was only the stuff I saw. His wife joked with me once that most of the neighbors probably thought that they were drug dealers.

Money was no object. I even did a dumpster dive when he was cleaning out his house, picked up about $300 worth of new tools and supplies.

It was interesting when I searched his name after his wife said that they were a bit short on money and wanted to negotiate my prices.
__________________

__________________
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone have a book recommendation on buying individual bonds or preferreds? ESRwannabe Stock Picking and Market Strategy 4 08-14-2015 05:01 PM
individual stocks vs index funds,stocks poor choice mathjak107 FIRE and Money 31 09-12-2006 01:12 AM
Swedroe comments on buying individual stocks. Nords FIRE and Money 27 10-12-2005 10:20 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.