Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've donated a couple of times but got bruises each time so I stopped.

I know--I'm quite wimpy. I might try again when the bloodmobile comes here to our workplace.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

According to the CDC website, any person who has had any type of viral hepatitis after age 11 (includes Hep A,B,C etc.) is ineligible to donate blood. Too bad, I wish I was allowed. I believe donation of blood is very important and a civic duty.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Numbness
Old 12-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Numbness

I have donated blood since college. I have never fainted though have gotten queasy mostly when I haven't eaten. The more well hydrated I am, the faster it seems to go and the better I feel afterwards.

The only problem I have is pins and needles in the donating arm. My arm stays numb the whole time and then recovers a few minutes after. Has anyone ever experienced this?
:confused:
Old 12-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyBear View Post
The only problem I have is pins and needles in the donating arm. My arm stays numb the whole time and then recovers a few minutes after. Has anyone ever experienced this?
:confused:
Ask the nurse about this next time. Maybe the vein they typically use is near a nerve. They could try a different vein. You've tried both arms?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've always wanted to donate blood, but I've got a pretty bad coffee addiction... No, actually I did it a few times, felt pretty faint afterward but they did give me a free cookie of some sort, if I remember correctly.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I did once... and was like the OP...

My blood pressue drops a lot when I give blood... and in fact once when they were taking three tubes it stopped flowing out on the 3rd one...

Now my BP is more normal, so I don't do it as much as before, but I still do not give blood as I don't want to get a cold sweat and faint...
Old 12-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #27

One time there was a handsome EMT taking the personal histories. I was so jazzed that my blood pressure shot way up and the draw was done in record time. He told me he often had that effect on women. Never mind he was 20 years younger than me.....
So for those with blood pressure problems, it might help to find a blood bank with good scenery.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #28

[quote=Texas Proud;591876]I did once... and was like the OP...

My blood pressue drops a lot when I give blood... and in fact once when they were taking three tubes it stopped flowing out on the 3rd one.../quote]

I went once, and in the pre-donation process, the nurse took my blood pressure and noted it was in the borderline/high side.

She told me about it, then laughed and said by the time they were done drawing off my blood, my B.P ought to be several points lower!

So those who want to control their B.P. without medication---maybe here's another way!

Also, I did read once of a purported causal relationship between regular blood donations and fewer stroke/heart problems. This was maybe 6 or 8 years ago. Never saw or heard anything else about that study.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

They won't take mine any more. I lived in Europe during the 1980s and there is a one in a gazillion chance that I might have eaten meat containing the virus that causes CJD.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
They won't take mine any more. I lived in Europe during the 1980s and there is a one in a gazillion chance that I might have eaten meat containing the virus that causes CJD.
...CJD being the homo sapiens version of mad cow (Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease).

It is interesting how they will refuse a risk of 1 in 10^6 or more at a time when blood shortages have the potential to create a risk many magnitudes greater. At least in the US I imagine it is largely medicolegal in nature.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
I thought that donating blood would be a good thing to do in ER and maybe redeem myself as a productive member of society in some people's eyes. Not a good experience! I fainted after it was over and then had to lie down and stay an extra hour. Has anyone else had this experience?

I'm in good health and not underweight. I did get up quickly after the blood was taken and the blood was taken quickly, in about seven minutes. I have had a couple of vasovagal reactions where I fainted after drinking one glass of wine (I swear! Just one glass).

I'm not sure if I should even try again...
To ward off fainting, pump the blood into the bag using a slow steady ryhthm. (seven minutes may have been too fast) . When you're done, get up very slowly and stay seated on the gurney for a few minutes. This seemed to work for me when I used to give blood. (I can no longer do so
for health reasons).
Old 12-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Too many vampires

Until mid-year, I was giving blood every 2 months. Then, a series of MD's all wanted lab work at the same time ... a couple of then got bad results, and demanded that I be re-stuck, several more times.

When I went in to give blood again, the vein was so scarred up and mobile that their best phlebotomists couldn't find the vein ... along with a lot of pain as they dug around.

Eventually, I said 'stop!', checked myself out of the center, and haven't been back.

I'd let them take blood from other places on my body, but apparently their rules say arm or nothing.

Sigh!
Old 12-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I used to be a big blood donor however, since I was diagnosed with skin cancer a few years ago, nobody wants my blood any more.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
And just don't watch!
I like to watch when they take my blood. I find it very interesting how quickly it spurts out once they puncture the vein.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
...CJD being the homo sapiens version of mad cow (Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease).

It is interesting how they will refuse a risk of 1 in 10^6 or more at a time when blood shortages have the potential to create a risk many magnitudes greater. At least in the US I imagine it is largely medicolegal in nature.
I couldn't agree more. I am O= (cmv negative as well as O-) so I was a member of the "baby club" at the local hospital and used to donate every 2-3 months. Giving blood was something that I used to feel really good about, particularly with a blood group that could be used for new-born babies. ("The gift of life"). One time I was in the waiting room when a small crowd of folks appeared - a child from their church with cancer needed a blood transfusion and they were all there getting tested to see if their blood types were acceptable. I joined them and said if I matched then I'd be happy to donate for the young chap. (My blood was acceptable).

However, since the BSE/CJD thing I haven't been able to donate for many years and it really grieves me since I know the risk is so low.

Going back to the original post, there has only been one time I ever felt faint, and in fact had to go back in and lie down to recover. That was one time when the blood folks turned up at church and the timing was such that I was able to donate. The person drawing the blood took 3 attempts to get a good stick, and then it took a long time to get the blood (I normally am through after 5-8 minutes). After that experience I made sure I continued going to the blood bank at my local hospital.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:24 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I never had a mechanical problem giving blood. Never fainted, though someone next to me did (young, athletic kid). At my last job, we went as a group and had a competition as to who could generate a pint the fastest. I won once.

When I came back from India, they wouldn't let me give for a year (so any malaria would show up). I was astounded! I had my shots and ate my Fansidar, but they told me Fansidar only defers the onset of malaria. Holy $$$$! And my 'doctor' who gave me my shots in Houston was an Indian woman. I hope India is turning out better doctors nowadays.

I donate in the US and Canada. I think the waiting time is overly conservative.

Thanks for reminding me! I will donate tomorrow!

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote