Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone hear from Whitestick/DLHansen?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone hear from Whitestick/DLHansen?

Just wondering if anyone knows how either of the guys is doing. Seems like a while since we have heard from them.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Although neither have posted for a month or so, both have been on the forum within the past few days.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you Wahoo. Sure hope they are well.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for asking, I indeed have just gotten back to checking in on occasion. Let me give the shortened version of the update.
Lots of good news: DW went through her operation which "only" turned out to be about 8 hours long, and while no research has been successfully done on removing the asbestoes from her body, the current batch of tumors were all removed, and thermo-chemo washed, and the surgeon was pleased with the results. I got a bit frustrated with him when I was trying to explore what the future might hold, and how to know what and how she would be progressing, and although he is the expert, he says he doesn't know. So DW has returned to the gym, doing some exercise, feeling better, and checking out the internet to see if there are support groups (apparently there are none). All in all, she is feeling about 90-95% of her former self. She still gets frustrated because she needs naps now, and she wants to go back to cramming 18 hours of activity in a 10 hour day.
I have been through round 1 of chemo, and all of the radiation, need to go back for the final round of chemo, but was waiting to get health insurance converted over and get it in force again. Actually it remains in force, just changing carriers, and therefore needed new cards to give the chemo guys, so I didn't have to pay out of pocket. I'm about back to 80% and struggling to keep up with DW, which is my normal mode of operation.
I've taken up a new hobby, playing tournament Texas hold-em poker, at the local bars, and that has taken up a lot of my time. Fortunately the entry if free (you just by your food and drinks), but I haven't won more then points and maybe $75 so far, so it has been fun to play and try and get better. Also gives me something to do, while DW is watching TV in the evenings, so it works out for both of us.
It does however, keep me away from the forum a lot, so I'll try and check in more often.
Bottom line "everyone raise your glass in a toast to the future, and getting better and better" Salute!

ps Oh and thanks for all the messages of support and good cheer. It really helped in getting through these trying times.
Thanks for good friends.
Whitestick
Old 06-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for posting and update, Whitestick. It's good to hear that both of you are feeling better. Hope the final round of chemo is over soon.

Continued thoughts and prayers for you both.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:30 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice to hear you two are making good progress. Best wishes for good long term results!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I will repeat...I am so IMPRESSED with your courage and positive attitudes. Wow!
Good thoughts are being sent your way...hang in there.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #8

So glad to hear the positive news!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for the update. I thought about you the other day, and wondered how your treatment was progressing. You are an inspiration to others struggling with health issues.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote