Anyone here ever have cellulitis in the leg?

Nuiloa

Recycles dryer sheets
It's been a few weeks since I finished the antibiotics, but the leg is getting kind of painful again. Is this normal? If you've had it, how long did it take for the swelling to go down and the pain to go away, post-treatment?

No point in seeing the doctor, since the diagnosis is always the same: lose weight. Duh....sure, I'll get right on that. :facepalm:

I got cellulitis in the hip after a nasty fall from a bike. Lasted 2 weeks and the antibiotic cured that. Having said that I would not want to do that again. Going to the hospital every 8 hours for the antibiotic was inconvenient. Good thing I had an understanding boss.

Nui, I recommend you have your doctor look at it. Mainly to make sure that you haven't developed thrombophlebitis (an inflamed vein) or some other complication.

I got cellulitis in the hip after a nasty fall from a bike. Lasted 2 weeks and the antibiotic cured that. Having said that I would not want to do that again. Going to the hospital every 8 hours for the antibiotic was inconvenient. Good thing I had an understanding boss.

Ouch! Every 8 hours must have been a pain in the butt (Har!)

They wanted me on IV antibiotics but after waiting 6 hours in emergency for them to tell me there was virtually nothing wrong except a skin infection, I opted for oral meds. They seemed to work but now the leg is all swollen and sore again. Guess I'll learn to live with it. I'll think of it as an old hula injury. ;)

It's been a few weeks since I finished the antibiotics, but the leg is getting kind of painful again. Is this normal? If you've had it, how long did it take for the swelling to go down and the pain to go away, post-treatment?

No point in seeing the doctor, since the diagnosis is always the same: lose weight. Duh....sure, I'll get right on that. :facepalm:
I fail to understand your attitude toward weight loss, as expressed here and in your sig. It can be very hard, but many people have done it successfully, and it sounds as if you have some realistic reasons to commit to the process.

Nui, I recommend you have your doctor look at it. Mainly to make sure that you haven't developed thrombophlebitis (an inflamed vein) or some other complication.

My doc would just tell me to lose weight. That's been his diagnosis for a torn knee cartilage, bronchitis, pneumonia, and a pinched sciatic nerve. I'd actually have to cut the leg off and bring it to him in a plastic bag for him to think it was some other cause. Even then, he'd probably tell me to cut the other one off in order to double the weight loss.

I fail to understand your attitude toward weight loss, as expressed here and in your sig. It can be very hard, but many people have done it successfully, and it sounds as if you have some realistic reasons to commit to the process.

Ah yes, but they have something I don't: willpower. Don't have it, never will and I've given up trying to get some.

I don't let my weight stop me from doing anything: I swim, I geocache, I teach Polynesian and tap dancing, I perform on a regular basis, I camp by myself, and all sorts of things.

It's my doctor's attitude towards my weight that irritates me!

Maybe. Or, he/she might tell you to get an ultrasound to make sure you don't have a clot (caused by the swelling from the cellulitis) that could kill you.
While that would solve your "retire now?" issue, it would be a devastating hit to your sister considering your BIL's situation.

When Meadbh and Rich both chime in with a suggestion, it's probably a very good idea to listen to what they have to say.

Nui - I have a relative, very dear to me, 5 feet 4, 300+ lbs, who makes the same complaint you do: every time she sees a new doctor, the doctor advises her to lose weight, when all she wants is to have whatever's bothering her at the moment treated. She tunes out the "lose weight" part, which (like you) she has decided is impossible for her to comply with. She does whatever else the doctor recommends.

Now, I'm not recommending that anybody ignore their doctors' advice, but at least my relative does get regular medical attention. She would certainly get a sore leg looked at quickly.

Amethyst

If we were to take your side in this conflict with your doctor, would you try to lose some weight?

Lol! It's not a conflict. I quite like the guy. It's just that, after 25 years, I have very low expectations about seeing him for anything more than a splinter in my toe (common injury for hula dancers :) )

I hadn't thought about the clot thing. I initially went to the er because I was worried about DVT - I did a lot of flying this year. The ultrasound and CT scan were clear but it didn't occur to me that the clot might form AFTER the cellulitis.

Guess I'll go see Sam after all.

Back
Top Bottom