Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone here who does not like taking medications?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
gone traveling

Anyone here who does not like taking medications?

I’m 48 now, when I was 35 i made a visit to the doctor and my BP was slightly elevated, he immediately threw me on meds and I developed a nagging cough. I took them for a few years, took myself off and noticed my cough went away. I’ve been keeping it under control with natural foods and it’s been under 120/80 for most the time, I’ll occasionally get a 140/90 reading. Some of the foods I’ll use to maintain are vinegar, celery, green tea, ginger and just recently started eating raw garlic with every meal, just curious if anyone here dislikes medications, I have an aunt that takes around 20 pills every day.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do not take supplements and almost no medicine. I’d like to preserve my liver and kidneys. Some medicine absolutely necessary if truly needed. DH turned down cholesterol meds. Food is medicine as far as I’m concerned. I don’t take vitamins.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I dont take meds. Not because I want to preserve my liver, because I dont want anything else destroying it but alcohol.
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I take more meds than I like, but I need them.
I was originally on two blood pressure meds, but am down to one at a reduced dosage. I was diagnosed with arteriosclerosis and put on a generic for Lipitor, even with low cholesterol. I have Essential Tremors, and take a med that works wonders. I also take a generic for Celebrex that makes arthritic pain bearable. Lastly I take depression meds that so far work well. I hate taking them, but am thankful for them at the same time because they make life livable.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #5

If there are meds that are really necessary, sure, but I'm not currently taking anything.

The only long term medicine I was taking was omeprazole and I was able to get off that after a few years by taking my weight down another notch.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
If there are meds that are really necessary, sure, but I'm not currently taking anything.

The only long term medicine I was taking was omeprazole and I was able to get off that after a few years by taking my weight down another notch.
Same here. I was on a few meds but went to a holistic doctor and now I’m off all meds. I do take a lot of supplements, but they are normal things - vitamins and minerals. All needed based on extensive blood work. Most significant change was in the diet.

I would take a med if needed, but I’d explore alternatives first. Never met a med that didn’t have a negative side effect. Worth it if the only option, but not to be taken casually.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I would take a med if needed, but I’d explore alternatives first. Never met a med that didn’t have a negative side effect. Worth it if the only option, but not to be taken casually.

+1. I take only one med. (metaprolol, very low dosage), and I am hoping to be able to get off of that soon. It irks me that most doctors would rather prescribe a med. to relieve symptoms, than talk to the patient about lifestyle/diet changes that could help them stay off meds in the first place. But that is our system of insurance-driven medical care these days........more meds prescribed means more money for Big Pharma (yes, I am a bit cynical, I admit it). I have several friends who are on so many meds, with so many side effects from all that stuff, that it becomes one huge confusing mess. I really wish I could find a good functional medicine doctor around here (they focus on seeking the actual cause of a problem, rather than just prescribing meds to relieve symptoms), but they are unfortunately not very common in the rural area where I live.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #8

No, I am not partial to taking drugs. (Unless you count coffee) I am on one, fairly innocuous, drug now. An alpha blocker, but I am looking into having a procedure to obviate that.

I do take some Vit C, and Vit D in the wintertime on the chicken soup principle of "It couldn't hurt."
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I only take necessary drugs like heart, HBP and asthma. I will not take cholesterol medication.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I absolutely hate the one drug I'm on, metoprolol. Lose a little weight and poof you're dizzy. Then cut the dosage and your heart beats like a hummingbird's. Take too much and your heart goes 30 bpm.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #11

I do not like taking medication, but sometimes you have to. Sometimes the body just doesn't respond the way we need it to without that medication. So yes, I take BP pills. I have to in order to keep my BP under control.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lucky to not take any meds, although both brothers do. One for cholesterol, the other for BP. Must have hit the lucky number on the roulette wheel.

Counting my blessings......
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

In addition to a lot of supplements and vitamins, my only prescription meds are valsartan and synthroid.

Curious, was the drug that made you cough lisinopril by any chance?
i was on that briefly. In addition to coughing, it made me spontaneously barf. happened once at work. Later found out from a friend of a friend who heard about the embarrassing incident, that is is a common lisinopril side effect.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
In addition to a lot of supplements and vitamins, my only prescription meds are valsartan and synthroid.

Curious, was the drug that made you cough lisinopril by any chance?
i was on that briefly. In addition to coughing, it made me spontaneously barf. happened once at work. Later found out from a friend of a friend who heard about the embarrassing incident, that is is a common lisinopril side effect.

No, it was something else, can’t remember the name offhand but I’m sure it wasn’t lisinopril, I’m familiar with that name from my dads use of it, he complained about constapation from it
Old 07-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

While I do enjoy using some drugs, I'm not so fond of medications. I'm on some for BP and Type II diabetes. I've managed to get off of a few over the years, and hopefully with continued effort I'll be able to get off most of the rest.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:36 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'm an absolute minimalist- 65 and on zero prescriptions. I believe in cheap prevention and in letting nature take its course (provided it's not on a collision course). I take antibiotics maybe once every 5 years, most recently after a root canal.

So far, so good and I go for regular checkups and recommended screenings. I hope this doesn't change for a long time.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:50 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm an absolute minimalist- 65 and on zero prescriptions. I believe in cheap prevention and in letting nature take its course (provided it's not on a collision course). I take antibiotics maybe once every 5 years, most recently after a root canal.

So far, so good and I go for regular checkups and recommended screenings. I hope this doesn't change for a long time.

My brother is one person that eats antibiotics like crazy, he is on one right now for some kind of gut related problem, my belief is the more you take of them the less responsive you are to them
Old 07-20-2018, 05:54 AM   #18
gone traveling

65 and no meds. Mayo documented that i refused cholesterol meds back in 81. I was given arthritis meds, and long story short, almost lost my leg! NO MEDS!!!! HOWEVER...i do self medicate. i rarely eat sugar, i exercise daily, eat NO fast food unless i'm traveling on the road. i eat out only as a treat on the weekend.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #19

No meds or supplements taken here. Don't have any issues that would require them - a good thing I think.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

No meds yet in pretty good health. I always feel I will put them off as long as I can by doing what I can to off set taking pills.
street is online now   Reply With Quote