Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone on a Collagen peptide regiment .. Dear Wife wants to try.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone on a Collagen peptide regiment .. Dear Wife wants to try.

So DW wants to try it .. and we are just starting to read some product reviews ? Is it working great for you ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #2

I use collagen and sometimes gelatin as a potential aid for my back(joint) pain on a regular basis, but am not quite militant about it.
With daily use there will be a noticeable change in skin texture within a month or so, an indication that something is happening.
Anecdotally, it appears to correlate with some relief.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We use a brand called Great Lakes Gelatin (pasture raised and grass fed). DH puts it in our coffee every morning. Dissolves nicely. We figure it couldn’t hurt and may help!
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I just started, but I use half of the recommended daily dosage. I haven't noticed anything yet.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #5

I take - but it is part of my beauty drink, for my complexion. It works (for me) if taken regularly.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Just started using it today on the advice of two of my yoga teachers. We'll see.
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:52 PM   #7

Ok. So Costco finally had a sale on Orgain’s Collagen Peptides .. Costco online says $46 but we bought it store for $29. We bought 6 cans 2.2 lbs. Base on my research Collagen Type 1 and 3 are the best .
Bovine grass fed. The other types are from shellfish and chicken which some articles said are inferior source. Anyway, it mixes easily with my coffee and it makes me feel full with 18 grams of protein. Reviews at Amazon showed some people said their hair grew back and they had pictured, some said it cured their skin eczema after 4 days, and some said it improve their joints. We’ll see..
Old 05-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

We use it to "Heal" our gut. It works wife is off her meds by using the great lakes brands of collagen hydrosolate in her breakfast I put it in my coffee.

Seems to help as I stopped my acid reflux medicine as well.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
We use it to "Heal" our gut. It works wife is off her meds by using the great lakes brands of collagen hydrosolate in her breakfast I put it in my coffee.

Seems to help as I stopped my acid reflux medicine as well.

Can you elaborate more on this? Dosage etc. I am dealing with a gut issue and have used several rounds of antibiotics and even herbal antibiotics over the past year and a half with my gastroenterologist and then a functional medicine doctor. I have been reading about a new product that is for intestinal repair that is made from bovine and sounds like what you are taking might be similar.
volfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried it to help with my weak, brittle nails, but it hasn't helped do far. Gelatin didn't work either.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #11

After 3 weeks of use, DW and I see results - improvement on facial skin .. more supple, more radiant, and less wrinkles around the eyes. Probably will take time to see effect on joints.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any more views on using collagen peptides?

https://peterattiamd.com/jamesokeefe/

I am normally very skeptical about so called super foods, health foods, and supplements. But, I heard an interview that Peter Attia did (start at 1 hr 20minutes above) with a cardiologist (really, I'm not kidding) who recommended collagen supplements for better nails, skin, hair, bones and muscle.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Any more views on using collagen peptides?

https://peterattiamd.com/jamesokeefe/

I am normally very skeptical about so called super foods, health foods, and supplements. But, I heard an interview that Peter Attia did (start at 1 hr 20minutes above) with a cardiologist (really, I'm not kidding) who recommended collagen supplements for better nails, skin, hair, bones and muscle.
Thanks, I listened to the whole podcast. A lot of good info there. I have to make a point to listen to his show more frequently.eig

Since he retired, DH lost a lot of weight walking; and as a result decided to incorporate MY collagen to improve HIS skin!
Old 12-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Thanks, I listened to the whole podcast. A lot of good info there. I have to make a point to listen to his show more frequently.eig

Since he retired, DH lost a lot of weight walking; and as a result decided to incorporate MY collagen to improve HIS skin!
Sounds like you married a smart guy!

Old 12-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I've been using the grass-fed bovine stuff for about a month. Haven't noticed the slightest improvement in anything. If anything, my acid reflux is worse.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Sounds like you married a smart guy!
True!
Old 12-03-2020, 08:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I've been using the grass-fed bovine stuff for about a month. Haven't noticed the slightest improvement in anything. If anything, my acid reflux is worse.

From what I’ve read it may take several months to notice a difference. Or maybe it’s just another supplement that doesn’t do much.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I already take a B complex, a multivitamin, and calcium+magnesium+zinc. Thought I'd try the collagen for my nails, which are brittle due to all the DIY. If I'd just stop gardening, pressure washing, painting, house cleaning, etc. etc. my nails would probably be fine!

Quote:
From what I’ve read it may take several months to notice a difference. Or maybe it’s just another supplement that doesn’t do much.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #19
gone traveling

I live with advanced OA and a mess from hip replacement 10 yrs ago and a messed up knee as a result of hip job...long long ugly story.

I have tried tried many collagen products and the one I'm using now into 8 months is NT2 a supplement product from Life Extension. I shop for best prices and just bought 3 more bottles, they are capsules, and one bottle gives me 2 months of use...1 capsule daily is recommended dose.

Not a cure but makes it all more manageable.
jam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can anyone who's had success with this recommend a particular brand?
lucky penny is online now   Reply With Quote