Anyone taking turmeric to prevent Alzheimers?

sunnysideup

Recycles dryer sheets
Just wondering if anyone is taking this supplement to stave off Alzheimers and what your thoughts are on its efficacy.

I am concerned since my mom's family lives long and gets dementia. Mom started to show signs in her early 80s, and she is now stage 2 in her mid 80s. I just started taking it--I am 55 and already suffer from CRS ("can't remember s***")(in the rare case this is an unfamiliar acronym).

So I am hoping it is a natural way to hold on to what I've got!!! My thinking is--even if it doesn't work, it won't hurt me. An entire country eats it daily in their food.

Norma

Never heard of it related to health. Do you have any references, links, controlled studies regarding its efficacy? What are the incidence rates in that country that eats it daily?

-ERD50

I have used turmeric for arthritis pain in my hands. No research, just an anecdotal "It worked for me!"

It supposedly helps with inflammation.

We eat curry at least a couple of times a month. Not sure how much turmeric there is in that, but we don't intend to add more of it to our diet.

Never heard of it related to health. Do you have any references, links, controlled studies regarding its efficacy? What are the incidence rates in that country that eats it daily?

-ERD50

Just google "turmeric and alzheimers" and you get more info. I belive there have been animal studies. No full blown clinical trial has been conducted, but the Indian population has a significantly lower incidence of Alzheimers, and they eat it in their curries. Of course, they have a shorter life span so that may have something to do with it.

Until there is a clinical trial we won't know "for sure", but since there is no adverse effect from adding it to my diet, I am doing it. And just because no one has proven it to FDA's standards doesn't mean it's not effective. It just means we don't have the statistics to support it.

I guess I will know in 30 years if it helped!! I'll keep you posted. :D

Norma

Never heard of it related to health. Do you have any references, links, controlled studies regarding its efficacy?
-ERD50
Large controlled studies testing non-patentable substances are never going to be common. What's in it for the funder?

Ha

Last edited:
Large controlled studies testing non-patentable substances are ever going to be common. What's in it for the funder?

Ha

What about the TPA (Tumeric Producers Association)? j/k

But we do have people promoting garlic, and other non-patented products for their health benefits, and studies have been done:

Garlic and Cancer Prevention - National Cancer Institute

Your point is probably correct though, that controlled studies are too expensive, but I just threw that out as one of several things that could provide some evidence for us. Population studies (like in that garlic link) should give us an indication though.

... , but since there is no adverse effect from adding it to my diet,

Norma

Can you be so sure? Sassafras and lemongrass are two plants that were found to possibly have negative health effects, long considered safe.

Just google "turmeric and alzheimers" and you get more info. I belive there have been animal studies. No full blown clinical trial has been conducted, but the Indian population has a significantly lower incidence of Alzheimers, and they eat it in their curries. Of course, they have a shorter life span so that may have something to do with it.

OK, I just thought that since you were bringing up the topic, you might provide some background like that.

Here's a study, with age accounted for:

The effect of curcumin (turmeric) on Alzheimer's disease: An overview

The prevalence of AD among adults aged 70-79 years in India is 4.4 times less than that of adults aged 70-79 years in the United States.[9] Researchers investigated the association between the curry consumption and cognitive level in 1010 Asians between 60 and 93 years of age. The study found that those who occasionally ate curry (less than once a month) and often (more than once a month) performed better on a standard test (MMSE) of cognitive function than those who ate curry never or rarely.[10]

That looks interesting. I wonder how much tumeric I get in yellow mustard (which I use pretty frequently, and generously when I do, probably at least once/week) versus what a typical Indian diet would provide?

-ERD50

Large controlled studies testing non-patentable substances are ever going to be common. What's in it for the funder?

Grant funding? Keeping your grad students and post docs fully employed?

Organizations, foundations, and governments have been known from time to time to fund studies ostensibly for the public good.

I add a healthy portion of turmeric to rice when making homemade seasoned rice dishes. I am avoiding the high salt found in the boxes of prepared rice products.
Other than that, not taking it as a preventative for anything.

None of my ancestors experienced Alzheimers, as far back as the family narrative goes. Also I'm sure that none of my ancestors before my parents' generation ever even tasted turmeric. So, I'll take a chance and not bother.

What about the TPA (Tumeric Producers Association)? j/k

But we do have people promoting garlic, and other non-patented products for their health benefits, and studies have been done:

Garlic and Cancer Prevention - National Cancer Institute

Your point is probably correct though, that controlled studies are too expensive, but I just threw that out as one of several things that could provide some evidence for us. Population studies (like in that garlic link) should give us an indication though.
Thanks for quoting me. I see that I typed "never" as "ever". One letter, but quite different meaning!

Grant funding? Keeping your grad students and post docs fully employed?

Organizations, foundations, and governments have been known from time to time to fund studies ostensibly for the public good.
read about what large randomized controlled studies cost. No way.

Thanks for quoting me. I see that I typed "never" as "ever". One letter, but quite different meaning!

My mind read your intended meaning due to context. Still, never say never! ;)

-erd50.

IIRC Dr. Oz talked about turmeric and AD but every show he throws out a ton of info and if you ate all the stuff you'd be busy shopping for these things and probably gain weight! It may work, who knows.

I am always very skeptical of "so and so eats such and such and they have less of this and that". There are so many variables I think it's almost impossible to know how diet effects things unless it is studied or generally observed in large populations over time. For example, 7 Day Adventists who are vegetarians are healthier and less sick than the 7DA that are not vegetarians.

Just wondering if anyone is taking this supplement to stave off Alzheimers and what your thoughts are on its efficacy.
I know a guy who ate a lot of curry and died of a stroke.

Now what do we do?

We read about it and have started throwing it into our lentil soups (along with some negative health stuff like pork). Ask me again in 30 years.

Large controlled studies testing non-patentable substances are never going to be common. What's in it for the funder?

Ha

Aspirin, long out of patent and probably cheaper than turmeric, is still being studied.

Aspirin, long out of patent and probably cheaper than turmeric, is still being studied.
To fullfill what I am saying, a study would have to be prospective, large, randomized with one group getting the aspirin, and the control getting nothing. And it would have to be impossible that the controls were not just using aspirin in daily life, and meaningful, well defined endpoints would need to chosen. This is what many famous studies include. I have not been interested in the aspirin issue, but if you know of any studies that meet the criteria for a large, randomized, prospective, controlled study, I would be very interested in reading about it- so links or citations please?

To fullfill what I am saying, a study would have to be prospective, large, randomized with one group getting the aspirin, and the control getting nothing. And it would have to be impossible that the controls were not just using aspirin in daily life, and meaningful, well defined endpoints would need to chosen. This is what many famous studies include. I have not been interested in the aspirin issue, but if you know of any studies that meet the criteria for a large, randomized, prospective, controlled study, I would be very interested in reading about it- so links or citations please?

I'm neither scientist nor statistician. And pretty much all I'm saying is just because there might not be a huge monetary return on research doesn't mean it isn't being done (high/low carb, red wine, etc.). And big pharm can probably figure out a way to make money on proprietary formulations of turmeric extracts.

But funny you should ask re aspirin :) -- I didn't include any links because the thread was about turmeric, but before I posted above, I of course googled news about aspirin studies and found several stories. This one talks about the results of randomized controlled trials involving 25,570 people over several years. The researcher seems to be well qualified and respected (his Oxford University page: Peter M Rothwell)

Here is the link to the story: Study: Daily Aspirin Helps Reduce Cancer Deaths | Healthland | TIME.com

Peter Rothwell, a neurologist at Oxford University, oversaw the analysis of eight previous randomized controlled trials involving 25,570 people, in which some people were given 75 mg to 100 mg of aspirin per day (baby aspirin contains 81 mg) and others were given a placebo. Overall, patients who took aspirin regularly for several years were 20% less likely to die of solid tumor cancers, such as cancers of the stomach and lung, 20 years later.

Back
Top Bottom