Anyone use a chiropractor?

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've been going to one for 12 years, and it definitely helps.

My sports background, including several years of high jumping and landing on substandard pits, had taken it's toll.

I supplement it with stretching and serobic activity, and feel pretty good..

Anyone else see value in them? I know they get a bad rap but so do dentists.........

They mainly get a bad rap when they start claiming they can cure all sorts of
non back-related injuries, such as asthma, cancer, etc. They also have
a tendency to fail the occasional screening tests - the Skeptical Inquirer sent
several people with good backs to a number of chiropracters - all were diagnosed
with various troubles requiring an extended set of treatments. Sorry, no link, this
was quite a few years ago.

My early sports activities of track and gymnastics spawned numerous repercussions that crop up as I age. The chiropractor has helped with most of the back and nerve related issues. Not just a little help but sometimes it seems miraculous. Definently recommend them, just be sure to get a recommendation from someone you trust. There are charlatans out there.
2fer

My daughter and I have been seeing one for the past year. We started with 3 treatments a week, then 2 treatments a week and now down to one per week. They have some sort of scanner that is supposed to find out-of- alignment spines. I have no idea if it's a good measure of back problems but we both feel like the treatments have been worth it so far.

What is the bad rap about dentists? I've never heard one.

That they are failed doctors who took the "easy route"...............:eek:

My Dad (who had several bouts with his back) went to a chiro. for several years. It always helped somewhat, but never completely. Then one time he couldn't get in to see his chiro. and our family doctor said he'd check him out. Came to find out that our family Doc is also an osteopath. Doc treated him a few times and he never had another back problem. Coincidence? Maybe. But, hey, it worked!

I screwed my back up at w*rk about 11 or 12 years ago, and went to a chiro. I think it made it worse. I stopped at our Doc's office on the way home from the chiro. one day, and he took care of me. It took about 6 weeks everyday but Sunday. Then about once a week for a month or so. Thus far, no further back problems.

Oh, and BTW, osteo's can prescribe DRUGS!!!! The chiro. couldn't! The skeletal muscle relaxers helped BIG time, along with the physical manipulation!

I had a knee joint problem. I was very skeptical, but the chiropractor actually cured my problem in about 3 months. I have absolutely no idea what he did, despite his "rambling" explanations.

Bottom line, my knee is now stronger than ever, and I thanked him profusely.

I have been seeing a chiropractor for just over a year, initially I was having three appoints per week and lately have been having just one per month. My lower back is much better now but I'd prefer not to dependent upon him (I also prefer to keep my money) so I took some advice of a coworker about a month ago and started doing some exercises and stretches from a book he recommended. My whole body is doing better due to the exercises and stretches. Fortunately I was able to skip this past month's chiropractor appointment.

Health-wise, my goal is to still be able to easily climb trees when I'm seventy.

I have been seeing a chiropractor for just over a year, initially I was having three appoints per week and lately have been having just one per month. My lower back is much better now but I'd prefer not to dependent upon him (I also prefer to keep my money) so I took some advice of a coworker about a month ago and started doing some exercises and stretches from a book he recommended. My whole body is doing better due to the exercises and stretches. Fortunately I was able to skip this past month's chiropractor appointment.

Health-wise, my goal is to still be able to easily climb trees when I'm seventy.

OK, coming from a very biased point of view here, gotta put in a plug for physical therapy. We work to help our clients become independent by teaching them exercises, as you describe above, so that they learn to care for their bodies themselves.

If you haven't figured it out, I'm a physical therapist.

I've tried chiros a few times, for back problems. I've never been especially impressed with the results. The last time she tried to get me to sign up for a couple of thousand dollars worth of prepaid treatment. Of course, I have friends who swear by them.

My doc shuddered when I told him I had been to a chiro and mumbled darkly about neck manipulation and paralysis.

There was a time when my boss was sure "The Chiro" must be a bar downtown. Seemed like every other day, someone had to go to The Chiro.

Now massage, there's a different story. That really works!

Coach

Yeah, I went to one for a month and he definitely fixed my back, earlier this year. I'd thrown out by sacro-illiac joint, deep inside the pelvis, and he popped it back in, which took away the wincing back spasms right away.

Problem is, they can do all that in one or a half-dozen sessions, but they can't really earn a living on that business model. So they need you to sign on for a longer series of treatments, maybe even make it a permanent part of your life. While this might be needed and good for some people most people don't need to have their backs cracked all the time. What people do need all the time is a good exercise/pt kind of regimen that keeps the back healthy and moving. That comes pretty cheaply, so there aren't too many special interest groups lining up to sell that one to you.

My doc shuddered when I told him I had been to a chiro and mumbled darkly about neck manipulation and paralysis.

There was a time when my boss was sure "The Chiro" must be a bar downtown. Seemed like every other day, someone had to go to The Chiro.

Now massage, there's a different story. That really works!
Coach

Well, as long as everything had a happy ending.

Absolutely. Between bike racing crashes and karate with some judo stirred in, mine has been essential. I'd feel like Quasimodo without him.

When I broke my collar bone in one crash I went to an orthopedist who informed me that broken collar bones healed fine if you just left them alone.

From there I went to the chiropractor because I was having some obvious upper spine alignment problems due to the break. He was utterly dumb founded by the MD's opinion. He showed me an xray of another patient (obscuring the name of course) who had a similar break that was "left alone". This guy healed crooked and it was plain as day. The chiropractor insisted that I get "second opinions" till someone would splint it. It took two more but the guy I finally got agreed completely and I was in surgery the next day. That really impressed me. I've been seeing this guy for 10 years or so.

I know this will be an unpopular viewpoint, but I've concluded, in part due to my background in neuroscience, that many (most? all?) chiropractors are frauds. I'll qualify that by saying that many believe in what they do, in the same way that many whole life insurance salesmen believe in what they sell.

The "hands on" aspect of the treatment results in a strong placebo effect. When evaluating reports of cures, view them alongside similar reports of cures from revival meetings, colored light therapy, aropmatherapy, cerebrospinal manipulation, etc.

My superstitious sisters have spent > $100,000 on chiropractors with no results that I've seen (other than to eliminate their savings).

I know this will be an unpopular viewpoint, but I've concluded, in part due to my background in neuroscience, that many (most? all?) chiropractors are frauds.

You are talking about the individuals, and not about the science behind chiropractic, correct?

Hard to use the group named "all" without getting pretty individual.

I had severe lower back pain several years ago. I went to a local urgent care clinic. The doctor looked at my spine and said I needed to see a chiropractor; they took an X-ray. It looked bad: spine not straight, but a lazy-S.

I pulled a chiropractor name out of the PPO book. First visit, he looked at my spine and at the X-ray.

Next visit, he put me on the table and adjusted. Sounded like a string of firecrackers going off. The stabbing, tearing pain spasms stopped.

I went for more adjustments. Haven't gone back in years now. Haven't had any back problems since (losing weight and exercising probably helped).

Short story: I'm convinced they can be of use in certain circumstances.

He also fixed my Frozen Shoulder Syndrome; but that's not really chiropractic, rather physical therapy (he had separate certification for that).

He also fixed my Frozen Shoulder Syndrome; but that's not really chiropractic, rather physical therapy (he had separate certification for that).

FYI, there is no "certification" in physical therapy. You must be licensed to practice physical therapy. Lots of chiros like to say they do physical therapy but they are not licensed in it, and of course they do not have the appropriate training.

:LOL::LOL: My Dad fell out of a tree when trying to filch apples when he was in his 70s. Nothing harmed but his dignity.

At age 73, my Grandad had climbed about 35 feet up in a huge tree in his front yard with a chainsaw to trim and prune it. His neighbors called the police because they thought he'd flipped his cork. The cops showed up and asked what he thought he was doing up there, and he asked them if it wasn't fairly obvious. They then called my Dad and explained to him what was taking place, and he told them that if he said he was trimming the tree, then he must be trimming the tree! That sort of thing was normal for the old guy!

I'll go "middle of the road" on this one. Chiropractors have traditionally been second (or possibly third?) class citizens in the world of medical professionals. Their training is less intensive than what MDs (or even many nurses) go through, and there have been a lot of excessive claims of efficacy which don't seem to hold water.

That having been said, I think that chiros have a (limited) legitimate role in the treatment and resolution of orthopedic issues for which surgery is inappropriate or inadvisable.

For the record I have seen a DC a few times in the past, and I believe he helped me with the issue I was experiencing.

I go to one regularly & re: strange claims, it did improve my allergies (among other things). I have no idea what I'm allergic to, but I get allergies most spring-times & fall-times & miserable sinus headaches. when I go to the chiro, the headaches & sniffles get dramatically better.

it has also improved my posture. I need to work harding on having better posture on a regular basis, but between the chiro & the weightlifting, it has made a positive difference.

I will continue to go to one regularly for the forseeable future.

I know this will be an unpopular viewpoint, but I've concluded, in part due to my background in neuroscience, that many (most? all?) chiropractors are frauds. I'll qualify that by saying that many believe in what they do, in the same way that many whole life insurance salesmen believe in what they sell.

The "hands on" aspect of the treatment results in a strong placebo effect. When evaluating reports of cures, view them alongside similar reports of cures from revival meetings, colored light therapy, aropmatherapy, cerebrospinal manipulation, etc.

My superstitious sisters have spent > $100,000 on chiropractors with no results that I've seen (other than to eliminate their savings).

I agree. I had one who popped my neck when I specifically asked her not to do it. My ears rang for over a week, and now, my neck always pops. It's never been the same since. My dad went to see one who claimed they could cure the pain in his lower back which emanated down his legs. I warned him to go see a good orthopedic doctor first. Did he listen? Noooooo. Instead he let the Chiropractor pop his back and the guy ended up fracturing one of the bones in his tail bone. Nice job! It took almost a year before my dad's pain subsided. He finally saw an orthopedic Dr. who gave him steriod injections, and that seemed to do the trick.

Oh yea, and the one who treated me tried some kind of "kinesiology" on me. She put different kinds of substances in little jars on my stomach and then tested the strength of my arms and legs to see if the substance(s) made me weak. If they did, then I automatically had the food allergy, and, almost $200 later, I was told to reduce/eliminate the amount of sugar and wheat in my diet. Duhhhhhh! Like most people don't know too much sugar and wheat is not good for you. I told her that I had a hard time believing in her "science" and that I was sure she almost always made the same conclusion for all of her patients. I am sure that ticked her off a bit, but come on....what kind of science is that?

Most insurance doesn't give much coverage for Chiro, and it amazes me that people are willing to spend so much out of pocket on them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom