Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone use a chiropractor?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone use a chiropractor?

I've been going to one for 12 years, and it definitely helps.

My sports background, including several years of high jumping and landing on substandard pits, had taken it's toll.

I supplement it with stretching and serobic activity, and feel pretty good..

Anyone else see value in them? I know they get a bad rap but so do dentists.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They mainly get a bad rap when they start claiming they can cure all sorts of
non back-related injuries, such as asthma, cancer, etc. They also have
a tendency to fail the occasional screening tests - the Skeptical Inquirer sent
several people with good backs to a number of chiropracters - all were diagnosed
with various troubles requiring an extended set of treatments. Sorry, no link, this
was quite a few years ago.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

My early sports activities of track and gymnastics spawned numerous repercussions that crop up as I age. The chiropractor has helped with most of the back and nerve related issues. Not just a little help but sometimes it seems miraculous. Definently recommend them, just be sure to get a recommendation from someone you trust. There are charlatans out there.
2fer
Old 07-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I know they get a bad rap but so do dentists.........
What is the bad rap about dentists? I've never heard one.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #5

My daughter and I have been seeing one for the past year. We started with 3 treatments a week, then 2 treatments a week and now down to one per week. They have some sort of scanner that is supposed to find out-of- alignment spines. I have no idea if it's a good measure of back problems but we both feel like the treatments have been worth it so far.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
What is the bad rap about dentists? I've never heard one.
That they are failed doctors who took the "easy route"...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #7

My Dad (who had several bouts with his back) went to a chiro. for several years. It always helped somewhat, but never completely. Then one time he couldn't get in to see his chiro. and our family doctor said he'd check him out. Came to find out that our family Doc is also an osteopath. Doc treated him a few times and he never had another back problem. Coincidence? Maybe. But, hey, it worked!

I screwed my back up at w*rk about 11 or 12 years ago, and went to a chiro. I think it made it worse. I stopped at our Doc's office on the way home from the chiro. one day, and he took care of me. It took about 6 weeks everyday but Sunday. Then about once a week for a month or so. Thus far, no further back problems.

Oh, and BTW, osteo's can prescribe DRUGS!!!! The chiro. couldn't! The skeletal muscle relaxers helped BIG time, along with the physical manipulation!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #8

I had a knee joint problem. I was very skeptical, but the chiropractor actually cured my problem in about 3 months. I have absolutely no idea what he did, despite his "rambling" explanations.

Bottom line, my knee is now stronger than ever, and I thanked him profusely.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
That they are failed doctors who took the "easy route"...............
Mmm... I think I'd rather have the worst dentist fill my tooth than the best brain surgeon.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been seeing a chiropractor for just over a year, initially I was having three appoints per week and lately have been having just one per month. My lower back is much better now but I'd prefer not to dependent upon him (I also prefer to keep my money) so I took some advice of a coworker about a month ago and started doing some exercises and stretches from a book he recommended. My whole body is doing better due to the exercises and stretches. Fortunately I was able to skip this past month's chiropractor appointment.

Health-wise, my goal is to still be able to easily climb trees when I'm seventy.
tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapper View Post
I have been seeing a chiropractor for just over a year, initially I was having three appoints per week and lately have been having just one per month. My lower back is much better now but I'd prefer not to dependent upon him (I also prefer to keep my money) so I took some advice of a coworker about a month ago and started doing some exercises and stretches from a book he recommended. My whole body is doing better due to the exercises and stretches. Fortunately I was able to skip this past month's chiropractor appointment.

Health-wise, my goal is to still be able to easily climb trees when I'm seventy.
OK, coming from a very biased point of view here, gotta put in a plug for physical therapy. We work to help our clients become independent by teaching them exercises, as you describe above, so that they learn to care for their bodies themselves.

If you haven't figured it out, I'm a physical therapist.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #12

I've tried chiros a few times, for back problems. I've never been especially impressed with the results. The last time she tried to get me to sign up for a couple of thousand dollars worth of prepaid treatment. Of course, I have friends who swear by them.

My doc shuddered when I told him I had been to a chiro and mumbled darkly about neck manipulation and paralysis.

There was a time when my boss was sure "The Chiro" must be a bar downtown. Seemed like every other day, someone had to go to The Chiro.

Now massage, there's a different story. That really works!

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:21 AM   #13

Yeah, I went to one for a month and he definitely fixed my back, earlier this year. I'd thrown out by sacro-illiac joint, deep inside the pelvis, and he popped it back in, which took away the wincing back spasms right away.

Problem is, they can do all that in one or a half-dozen sessions, but they can't really earn a living on that business model. So they need you to sign on for a longer series of treatments, maybe even make it a permanent part of your life. While this might be needed and good for some people most people don't need to have their backs cracked all the time. What people do need all the time is a good exercise/pt kind of regimen that keeps the back healthy and moving. That comes pretty cheaply, so there aren't too many special interest groups lining up to sell that one to you.
ESRBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
My doc shuddered when I told him I had been to a chiro and mumbled darkly about neck manipulation and paralysis.

There was a time when my boss was sure "The Chiro" must be a bar downtown. Seemed like every other day, someone had to go to The Chiro.

Now massage, there's a different story. That really works!
Coach
Well, as long as everything had a happy ending.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Absolutely. Between bike racing crashes and karate with some judo stirred in, mine has been essential. I'd feel like Quasimodo without him.

When I broke my collar bone in one crash I went to an orthopedist who informed me that broken collar bones healed fine if you just left them alone.

From there I went to the chiropractor because I was having some obvious upper spine alignment problems due to the break. He was utterly dumb founded by the MD's opinion. He showed me an xray of another patient (obscuring the name of course) who had a similar break that was "left alone". This guy healed crooked and it was plain as day. The chiropractor insisted that I get "second opinions" till someone would splint it. It took two more but the guy I finally got agreed completely and I was in surgery the next day. That really impressed me. I've been seeing this guy for 10 years or so.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I know this will be an unpopular viewpoint, but I've concluded, in part due to my background in neuroscience, that many (most? all?) chiropractors are frauds. I'll qualify that by saying that many believe in what they do, in the same way that many whole life insurance salesmen believe in what they sell.

The "hands on" aspect of the treatment results in a strong placebo effect. When evaluating reports of cures, view them alongside similar reports of cures from revival meetings, colored light therapy, aropmatherapy, cerebrospinal manipulation, etc.

My superstitious sisters have spent > $100,000 on chiropractors with no results that I've seen (other than to eliminate their savings).
Old 07-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I know this will be an unpopular viewpoint, but I've concluded, in part due to my background in neuroscience, that many (most? all?) chiropractors are frauds.
You are talking about the individuals, and not about the science behind chiropractic, correct?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Hard to use the group named "all" without getting pretty individual.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I had severe lower back pain several years ago. I went to a local urgent care clinic. The doctor looked at my spine and said I needed to see a chiropractor; they took an X-ray. It looked bad: spine not straight, but a lazy-S.

I pulled a chiropractor name out of the PPO book. First visit, he looked at my spine and at the X-ray.

Next visit, he put me on the table and adjusted. Sounded like a string of firecrackers going off. The stabbing, tearing pain spasms stopped.

I went for more adjustments. Haven't gone back in years now. Haven't had any back problems since (losing weight and exercising probably helped).

Short story: I'm convinced they can be of use in certain circumstances.

He also fixed my Frozen Shoulder Syndrome; but that's not really chiropractic, rather physical therapy (he had separate certification for that).
Old 07-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

He also fixed my Frozen Shoulder Syndrome; but that's not really chiropractic, rather physical therapy (he had separate certification for that).
FYI, there is no "certification" in physical therapy. You must be licensed to practice physical therapy. Lots of chiros like to say they do physical therapy but they are not licensed in it, and of course they do not have the appropriate training.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote