Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone use a Rowing Machine?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone use a Rowing Machine?

I have a modest home gym in my basement, and used to work out 2-3 times per week. Alas, back problems (since January) have severely limited the things I can do with my weights.
I thought a Rowing Machine might be a partial substitute for some weight lifting - in particular help my now-faded biceps. Anyone have experience with rowing machines and can it act as a substitute for some weight lifting?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I have a modest home gym in my basement, and used to work out 2-3 times per week. Alas, back problems (since January) have severely limited the things I can do with my weights.
I thought a Rowing Machine might be a partial substitute for some weight lifting - in particular help my now-faded biceps. Anyone have experience with rowing machines and can it act as a substitute for some weight lifting?
Sorry to hear of your injury.

I use a concept2 almost daily. It is great exercise, and your arms will not go soft, but it will not build biceps. Look at photos of Olympic rowers. The arm movement is almost passive 2ndary to the lats and shoulder girdle pulling the bar to the chest.
Google Image Result for http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-BE080031.jpg%3Fsize%3D67%26uid%3D3507f6e6-31fe-46f9-bad9-4b4d4ea1b7a7

Ha
Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I used a Concept2 at my gym for a couple of months or so last year. I thought it was wonderful exercise, and for me seemed to provide a combination of strength and cardio. I didn't really feel it in my biceps, so much as my shoulders and back, really.

Since they are so expensive, I would suggest trying one out for a month at a local gym, first, to see if it is what you had in mind. Then you can figure out if it is too tough on your back.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Here is a very long thread on the Concept2 a few months ago. It actually led me to buy one which we really like a lot.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ort-58380.html
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have a WaterRower. It's a good workout and I used it every day when I first got it, but I haven't used it in months if not years. Nothing at all wrong with it, just prefer walking, bicycling and resistance training.

I don't know if it's true for Concept2's, but you can pick up a like new WaterRower on eBay for 10¢ to 20¢ on the dollar vs new FWIW...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I once owned a rowing machine but I soon learned they were designed by the Marquis de Sade to torture people. I have had major back surgery and remembering back to when I used the rowing machine I feel they do put a strain on the lower back. I now walk and I just bought a bicycle. I am sure that if you do a Google search you can find ways to build up your biceps without putting strain on your back.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
gone traveling

i have a walker and a rower good for upper body workout
paigeknotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I dont have a row machine, but a alden rowing shell (boat). I row about 3 miles/day (takes about 45 minutes) and have found the results pretty satisfying. Legs get very tone, Upper back gets incredibly strong, and arms get tone but not bulky. Middrift bulk disappears and get buns steel!Alden 16
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use a Concept 2 at my gym on a fairly regular basis. I alternate it with a few other machines for the cardio part of the workout before I lift weights. (Some days elliptical, some days stationary bike, some days C2.) I feel that of the 3 the C2 is the best overall workout.

I also have a very old piston-type rower that I use at home occasionally. I don't like it nearly as much as the C2 but on days I can't get to the gym it can be useful.

Of note, about a year and a half ago I had an impinged rotator cuff and had to go to physical therapy to deal with it. The motion with the C2 is similar to some of the exercises I had to do as part of PT. Since I've been using the C2 I've had no recurrence of the rotator cuff problem. Don't know if that's coincidental or cause and effect.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
gone traveling

Pic of Ha doing his workout on Concept 2

eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote