Join Early Retirement Today

Apple Heart Study
Old 12-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apple Heart Study

Apple, in conjunction with Stanford Med School, has released the Apple Heart Study app for the Apple Watch. You may recall Tim Cook announcing this earlier this year as part of the keynote address that announced the Watch Series 3.

Home | Apple Heart Study | Stanford Medicine

Quote:
The Apple Heart Study app uses data from Apple Watch to identify irregular heart rhythms, including those from potentially serious heart conditions such as atrial fibrillation. Apple is conducting this research study in collaboration with Stanford Medicine to improve the technology used to detect and analyze irregular heart rhythms, like atrial fibrillation - a leading cause of stroke.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Administrator

I discovered my a-fib early through home monitoring of my blood pressure on an Omron bp monitor with “intellisense “ so I can see the benefits of having such a monitor on one’s wrist. I had no idea I had a such a problem until one night when a little shaky heart symbol appeared after taking my bp. I had to dig out the manual to see that the symbol meant irregular heart beat - see a doctor immediately.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Alan, so glad your heart issues were identified! Your world needs you.

The Apple Heart Study is an amazing example of how the data is out there to be used. Every time I log into a tracking program to enter my meals (I'm trying to lose 15 final lbs.), which is connected to my Fitbit (I am moving up to the Apple Watch as a reward to myself once I lose 15 final lbs. haha) and also to my weight, I think how interesting that there is so much research data out there now that we are able to easily provide and that research institutes can harvest (someone who wants to study 67-year-old women who eat chicken seven times a week and are moderately active but need to lose 15 final lbs. already can find my data). The data might not be perfect but it is probably close to what I would provide if i had signed up for a research study and used their monitoring equipment and reports.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Alan, so glad your heart issues were identified! Your world needs you.

I agree, my world just wouldn’t be the same without me
Old 12-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

“Your watch has determined that it’s necessary for us to cancel your health insurance...”

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
“Your watch has determined that it’s necessary for us to cancel your health insurance...”
That was my first thought as well. If in doubt, see my tag line. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The watch health data is encrypted and carefully guarded. So I suppose you should be careful sharing it with your medical provider?
Old 12-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The watch health data is encrypted and carefully guarded. So I suppose you should be careful sharing it with your medical provider?

That was a bit of Orwellian humor...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
You had me at apple
Old 12-10-2017, 04:23 AM   #9

You had me at apple

I came to this thread with thoughts of discussion around the benefits of eating apples in relation to heart health.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:57 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I came to this thread hoping for some revelations. I got Alan's story but I also have several friends who have had afib detected without any device investment.

And I believe that concerns about data protection are also appreciated.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
I came to this thread with thoughts of discussion around the benefits of eating apples in relation to heart health.
Apples like all fruits are among the worst nutritional vectors and are best avoided or eaten in the smallest amounts. Nothing but sugar and calories and trace nutrients that are already being consumed in necessary quantities via other foods.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Apples like all fruits are among the worst nutritional vectors and are best avoided or eaten in the smallest amounts. Nothing but sugar and calories and trace nutrients that are already being consumed in necessary quantities via other foods.
My remark was intended as tongue-in-cheek, but thanks anyway for offering the nutritional advice.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:31 AM   #13
Administrator

On the recommendation of a friend I bought one of these for $99.
https://www.alivecor.com/?gclid=Cj0K...IaAt0uEALw_wcB

It is a very easy to use little device that you just put down close to your phone and place your fingers on the 2 pads. When the recording is complete you can add notes, such as “feeling dizzy”, and I will add my BP which I take immediately before or after. You can then email a PDF of the trace to yourself or anyone. Optionally the summary data can be auto-saved in the Heart app on an iPhone.

Since my cardio dr has asked me to keep a log of the times I have irregular heart beats I will add a copy of the trace from this new device. I only just got the device so don’t yet have a trace of an irregular heart beat but I don’t expect it will be long before I can really see how it performs.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
On the recommendation of a friend I bought one of these for $99.
https://www.alivecor.com/?gclid=Cj0K...IaAt0uEALw_wcB
I got one of those last year and use it about once a month, just out of curiosity. Never had an irregular heartbeat, but it seems to be nearly as effective as a normal EKG. Similar tracing, anyway.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I got one of those last year and use it about once a month, just out of curiosity. Never had an irregular heartbeat, but it seems to be nearly as effective as a normal EKG. Similar tracing, anyway.
I have a history of a-fib. My last electrocardioversion was about four years ago.

I ran the AliveCor Kardia for a while. In all honesty, I wasn't impressed. It's essentially a one-lead ECG with all the limitations that implies. Most of the time, my readings were inconclusive.

I was interested in Apple's study, but guess who's not eligible? People with a history of a-fib.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote