Are Statins safe ?

Just a couple of comments, wife took statins and her legs hurt so bad she couldn't sleep.

I tried low fat diet, exercising 3 hours per day, 6 times per week for 17 years, and my cholesterol never went down. I am on statins.

Here is my question, every person I know that had bypass's were on statins, so why didn't it prevent blockage? Two of my friends had 2 bypasses each, (20 years apart) still fudged up? They were on statins and fish oil, low fat diet etc. :confused:

Just a couple of comments, wife took statins and her legs hurt so bad she couldn't sleep.

I tried low fat diet, exercising 3 hours per day, 6 times per week for 17 years, and my cholesterol never went down. I am on statins.

Here is my question, every person I know that had bypass's were on statins, so why didn't it prevent blockage? Two of my friends had 2 bypasses each, (20 years apart) still fudged up? They were on statins and fish oil, low fat diet etc. :confused:
I've been on a low dosage of pravastatin for about 20 years. I've had no noticeable side-effects. Last year I had an episode of atrial fibrilation. My cardiologists tell me this is an electrical problem rather than a plumbing problem.

Anyhow, my cardiologists did a very thorough heart work-up and concluded that my arteries are remarkably unclogged for an elderly Americam male. No bypass or stint for me in the foreseeable future!

THe atrial fibrilation was cured for now with a catheter ablation.

Thanks, Stanley. That's a good article, even if the conclusion has long been known by many of us.
The only thing Ancel Keys ever really accomplished was to make Ancel Keys into someone widely considered a prestigious authority.

Recently started them as I had a bad year and my numbers were terrible. I am back on my healthy diet and will get the numbers in line again. @ 50 i have come to the conclusion that a low dose seems like a reasonable insurance plan, even if you eat healthy with good numbers. Most people take a baby aspirin each day - I bet their are studies showing negative affects of those.

I was going to go off them in three months but I think that I will stay on them - why take the risk, esp. when its a low dose and I have no side affects.

Maybe what you described is the most positive outcome in their particular situations, compared to the alternative? This thought occurred to me as I was reading the body count for the Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas. Customer dies of heart attack at the Heart Attack Grill in Vegas

Back
Top Bottom