Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

I read through the KFF comparison quickly and found an interesting sticky point with the proposed plan.

You can get tax credits when paying Cobra premiums - but if the health plan provides abortion services - then you can't.

So would the IRS have to track all health plans and then audit that credit?
LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
To me, the repeal of the individual mandate (at least the penalties for not buying HI) will be the most harmful for the individual market. Younger, healthier people will drop insurance and that will do more to drive up rates than anything else.

Here in New York, where rates are already pretty high compared to the rest of the country, I saw rates rise a lot back in 2010-2011 during my first few years or ER. As they rose, the younger, healthier people dropped coverage and the remaining people in the individual market were older and sicker ("death spiral"). It became too much for me (I was healthier back then) and in 2011 I dropped coverage, too, opting for a bare-bones policy to hold me over until the end of 2013.

New York actually has one of the better-run exchanges. Someone here posted a link to an article about now well it is run and how competitive it is. But one reason it has worked well is the presence of the individual mandate.
The mandate has not stopped young people from not buying HI until now. There has been a surge of people enrolled in HI this year since the talk of maintaining continuous coverage is in the news.
Fedup is offline   Reply
Old 05-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastOfTheBoomers View Post
I read through the KFF comparison quickly and found an interesting sticky point with the proposed plan.

You can get tax credits when paying Cobra premiums - but if the health plan provides abortion services - then you can't.

So would the IRS have to track all health plans and then audit that credit?
I used the KFF tool and found out for most people in different income up till $100k from age 27 and 40, there will be a net credit of $2200. Only when I put in age 60, where I saw a premium increase of $250.
Fedup is offline   Reply
Old 05-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #84
Gone but not forgotten

One part of this insurance web, is the EMTALA Act

https://www.cms.gov/regulations-and-...lation/emtala/

I believe that today, this is still unfunded, and may be one of the most important issues to affect healthcare legislation in the future.

Quote:
n 1986, Congress enacted the Emergency Medical Treatment & Labor Act (EMTALA) to ensure public access to emergency services regardless of ability to pay. Section 1867 of the Social Security Act imposes specific obligations on Medicare-participating hospitals that offer emergency services to provide a medical screening examination (MSE) when a request is made for examination or treatment for an emergency medical condition (EMC), including active labor, regardless of an individual's ability to pay. Hospitals are then required to provide stabilizing treatment for patients with EMCs. If a hospital is unable to stabilize a patient within its capability, or if the patient requests, an appropriate transfer should be implemented.
There have been recent changes 2016, 2017, that deal with care subsequent to initial admission, allowing for hospital/patient negotiation, but nothing that changes the costs to hospitals for admission.

Hospitals in rural or low income areas are concerned for the sustainability of this care.

The devil is always in the details.
imoldernu is offline   Reply
Old 05-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
The mandate has not stopped young people from not buying HI until now. There has been a surge of people enrolled in HI this year since the talk of maintaining continuous coverage is in the news.
True, but the penalties for not buying HI have increased sharply since 2014, from $95 in 2014 to $695 in 2016.

ACA Individual Penalties: Many Will Pay More Than $95 | Affordable Care Act Review

Higher penalties surely played a role in decreasing the number of people who willingly went uninsured. Removing the penalty will only increase the number of uninsured, particularly the younger, healthier people who would choose to game the system and tilt the market toward older, sicker people, the same type of market which kept rates high before the ACA.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply
Old 05-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Simple Girl, Pre-ACA we had to have Kaiser (California) for our insurance through DH's employer because they did not have a life time cap. Our household joke was that no one ever lives long enough under Kaiser for them to have to worry about lifetime caps, but the other plans had $1M life time caps which didn't seem to be enough in case a of Christopher Reeves type accident.

Pre-ACA there were various ways to get around the pre-existing condition clause - some states didn't allow it, some part-time jobs had group insurance, HIPAA laws allowed you to continue coverage post COBRA (no $ caps though) and many states had "group" insurance rates with no pre-existing condition screening for small businesses of 1 or 2. These might still be options if needed in a post-ACA world for early retirees.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply
Old 05-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
In other words, there's still a lot of heavy lifting ahead.
Love the School House Rocks video
evilanne is offline   Reply
Old 05-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #88

Read the thread, the white paper and all I am able to say at the moment is "ugh"!. Not going to get to into it until or if it passes the Senate and see what form it all takes then.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply
Old 05-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Read the thread, the white paper and all I am able to say at the moment is "ugh"!. Not going to get to into it until or if it passes the Senate and see what form it all takes then.
I think that is a very smart approach. Honestly until it passes the Senate everything is up in the air. They could change it or not even pass it at all. I understand why it is so stressful, really I do, not being totally heartless. Still, members on this forum have become pretty close over the years. We have been through a lot together. It just kills me to think of forum members stressing out too much over something that isn't a "done deal" yet.

So, here's a fix. After taking a deep breath I'd suggest

(1) exercise.....gym, go for a walk, swim ...
(2) "smelling the roses", enjoying life.... grandkids, puppy, fresh air...
(3) beverage of your choice.... beer, wine, root beer...
(4) distracting entertainment.... video game, TV, youtube...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply
Old 05-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think that is a very smart approach. Honestly until it passes the Senate everything is up in the air. They could change it or not even pass it at all. I understand why it is so stressful, really I do, not being totally heartless. Still, members on this forum have become pretty close over the years. We have been through a lot together. It just kills me to think of forum members stressing out too much over something that isn't a "done deal" yet.

So, here's a fix. After taking a deep breath I'd suggest

(1) exercise.....gym, go for a walk, swim ...
(2) "smelling the roses", enjoying life.... grandkids, puppy, fresh air...
(3) beverage of your choice.... beer, wine, root beer...
(4) distracting entertainment.... video game, TV, youtube...
Good advice, however it's hard to understand why anything so cruel is even being considered. By this age, few of us do not have a "pre-existing condition".
AllDone is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #91

I'm feeling better since hearing that the Senate has decided they will write their own bill and that the margin for it passing is so narrow. That gives me hope that if they do pass something new eventually, it will be more friendly towards those who have pre-existing conditions than the current bill passed by the House.

It also has helped me to look even closer at our contingency plans should something be passed that would require underwriting again. The more well-thought out our plan for the worst case, the better prepared I feel. Just merely waiting to see what happens isn't reassuring enough to me.

Thankful for all of the input from everyone here and being able to talk about this and ask questions without the thread going haywire! This place is where I come for smart feedback about important financial issues, and you all never disappoint!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #92
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
It is too late.

You can try to bury your head in a sand but uncertainty in insurance market is already driving expected 2018 price increases up as compared to relatively "modest" hikes in 2017.
papajones is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #93
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajones View Post
It is too late.

You can try to bury your head in a sand but uncertainty in insurance market is already driving expected 2018 price increases up as compared to relatively "modest" hikes in 2017.
At this point 2018 price increases are pure speculation, and also not the thread topic.

papajones, why not tell us a little about yourself, here Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
MichaelB is online now   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
Good advice, however it's hard to understand why anything so cruel is even being considered. By this age, few of us do not have a "pre-existing condition".

In reading the documents obesity is listed as a preexisting condition so if 30% of the US is obese (all ages) they will also be thrown into the high risk pool. There is no way this will work if 40-50% are considered high risk due to preexisting.

This should come up many times during the discussions and I am confident the preexisting condition clause will be more lenient than evidence of insurability restrictions prior to the ACA.
littleb is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I'm feeling better since hearing that the Senate has decided they will write their own bill and that the margin for it passing is so narrow. That gives me hope that if they do pass something new eventually, it will be more friendly towards those who have pre-existing conditions than the current bill passed by the House.

It also has helped me to look even closer at our contingency plans should something be passed that would require underwriting again. The more well-thought out our plan for the worst case, the better prepared I feel. Just merely waiting to see what happens isn't reassuring enough to me.

Thankful for all of the input from everyone here and being able to talk about this and ask questions without the thread going haywire! This place is where I come for smart feedback about important financial issues, and you all never disappoint!
Yes, all we can do is stay positive, look at all options and have plans in place in case Plan A does not work. Or Plan B, C...

We are actually talking about starting a small business so we can get a group plan through the insurance company. The group plans waive preexisting and in some cases the premiums maybe lower. Our goal is to make just enough money to fund our health insurance premium and cover most expenses.
No salary because we have enough money to retire.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Glad that you are feeling better about things, simplegirl. Waiting is tough when so much depends on the outcome. Everyone here is hoping for the best for you and other forum members, as we read the news every day and wonder what will happen next.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
Yes, all we can do is stay positive, look at all options and have plans in place in case Plan A does not work. Or Plan B, C...

We are actually talking about starting a small business so we can get a group plan through the insurance company. The group plans waive preexisting and in some cases the premiums maybe lower. Our goal is to make just enough money to fund our health insurance premium and cover most expenses.
No salary because we have enough money to retire.
I am looking into this as well. It is a whole new topic for me to research for feasibility.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am looking into this as well. It is a whole new topic for me to research for feasibility.
In some states you only need 2 people for group insurance (husband and wife) and other states it requires 3 or more. We had a group plan in the past with our small business.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
From what I've been able to gather, LARS has it about right in his earlier post (quoted below).

Relax a little, this does not appear to be some outright "cruel" denial of coverage to anyone with any pre-existing condition. That appears to be fear-mongering from opponents. As long as you have had coverage (and weren't we ALL supposed to be covered under ACA?), you are OK. If not, a 30% hike for one year doesn't seem unreasonable to me, those same people 'got away' w/o paying into my risk pool, time for them to chip in a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
What I have read is that PreExisting Conditions only comes into play if there is a lapse in coverage. And if there is a lapse, the policy pricing can only be impacted for one year, after that you are no longer considered to have a Pre Existing.

Moreover, PreExisting can only occur if state requests a waiver, which will only be granted if a high risk, subsidized, pool is put in place.

Caveat: That is what I've pieced together but there is a lot of conflicting info. And, of course, as others have stated, it will all most likely change with Senate involvement.
-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #100
Administrator

You might look into the benefits available to members of any professional organizations to which you belong. This sometimes can include group health insurance.

https://www.thebalance.com/membershi...urance-2645660