Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #101
Administrator

Regarding pre-existing conditions, the language in the bill allows insurers to impose underwriting conditions if there is a lapse in continuous coverage.

It also allows states to redefine what essential health benefits must be covered by insurers, and which are not.

It also establishes a separate, high risk pool, defines 8 conditions that automatically qualify, and delegate to the state the authority to add to that list. There is no language in the bill that requires the high risk pool to provide coverage for essential health benefits removed from the mandatory list.

Based on the language, it is reasonable to assume that under this bill, it is possible to have a condition that is not covered by insurance. That is a legitimate concern, IMHO.
MichaelB is online now   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Regarding pre-existing conditions, the language in the bill allows insurers to impose underwriting conditions if there is a lapse in continuous coverage.

It also allows states to redefine what essential health benefits must be covered by insurers, and which are not.

It also establishes a separate, high risk pool, defines 8 conditions that automatically qualify, and delegate to the state the authority to add to that list. There is no language in the bill that requires the high risk pool to provide coverage for essential health benefits removed from the mandatory list.

Based on the language, it is reasonable to assume that under this bill, it is possible to have a condition that is not covered by insurance. That is a legitimate concern, IMHO.
So if no lapse in coverage then pre-existing conditions are covered? That makes a lot of sense to me... it would be a bigger stick to prevent people from cherry-picking and applying for insurance only when they get sick than the mandate and related penalties were.

What they are doing is effectively punting the medical underwriting/pre-existing conditions and essential health benefits issues to the states... so governors and state legislatures will bear the political cost of "taking away" coverage for pre-existing conditions... quite clever actually.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #103
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
So if no lapse in coverage then pre-existing conditions are covered? That makes a lot of sense to me... it would be a bigger stick to prevent people from cherry-picking and applying for insurance only when they get sick than the mandate and related penalties were.
I wouldn't say exactly that. One may have a preexisting condition and lose coverage due to a redefinition of EHB. The lapse in coverage allows the insurer to underwrite. That's all it says. To discourage people from jumping in and out, there is a fine for dropping coverage, and a reduced opportunity for enrollment.

We are really getting ahead of ourselves with this discussion, because how it is implemented is just as important, and many of these details are only known then.
MichaelB is online now   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
As long as you have had coverage (and weren't we ALL supposed to be covered under ACA?), you are OK.
With subsidies being reduced for many under the current house plan, especially older Americans, and median household income in the U.S. around $50K, many households simply can't afford $1 - $2K or more a month to keep continuous health insurance premiums alone, especially during times of unemployment or disability.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

What they are doing is effectively punting the medical underwriting/pre-existing conditions and essential health benefits issues to the states... so governors and state legislatures will bear the political cost of "taking away" coverage for pre-existing conditions... quite clever actually.
What they are doing is effectively PUTTING the medical underwriting/pre-existing conditions and essential health benefits issues to the states where it belongs.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You might look into the benefits available to members of any professional organizations to which you belong. This sometimes can include group health insurance.

https://www.thebalance.com/membershi...urance-2645660

From what I gather, there still are credits to be able to buy insurance... if they continue to make you buy through the exchange to get those credits then any of the outside options are not a good choice for many...

Now, if the credits are like other refundable credits and you just buy anywhere then some of these might be an option...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajones View Post
It is too late.

You can try to bury your head in a sand but uncertainty in insurance market is already driving expected 2018 price increases up as compared to relatively "modest" hikes in 2017.
Papajones, this is a polite forum. It's considered rude to send people a nasty message just because you don't agree with them. Maybe I should report you to the moderator. Spreading mis information is not allowed. Maybe you are the one whose head is bury in the sand.
Fedup is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Papajones, this is a polite forum. It's considered rude to send people a nasty message just because you don't agree with them. Spreading mis information is not allowed. Maybe you are the one whose head is bury in the sand.
Notice his status in the past few minutes has changed to "Gone Traveling". I can assure you that he won't be sending any more nasty messages.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #109

Quote:

As I have thought about it that is my impression of the reason for introducing PE conditions. It is a way to "coerce" rather than "mandate" all have insurance. [mod edit]

Whether it will work as intended, and not spin out of control causing many to be swept up in PE conditions, is anyone's guess.
LARS is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

That is because we are being screwed. As an ex physician who got out at 49 these insurance companies are crying crocodile tears while they laugh all the way to the bank. The only way to fix this is FREE MARKET health care coops etc for all but high dollar catastrophic dx with docs charging AND COMPETING for business.
Quantum Sufficit is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wouldn't say exactly that. One may have a preexisting condition and lose coverage due to a redefinition of EHB.
Yes, I see your point. OTOH, it's no different than if an individual had a health problem from the start that was not covered as an EHB.

Quote:
To discourage people from jumping in and out, there is a fine for dropping coverage . . .
It's a provision that the insurance company may increase premiums by up to 30% for one year when the person decides to jump back in, right? (but no fine/tax from the IRS every year, like we have at present).
samclem is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
As I am doing, call your senator and congressperson, let them know how you feel about this latest bill.
hesperus is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #113
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
As I am doing, call your senator and congressperson, let them know how you feel about this latest bill.
My Congressperson voted the way I wanted, but unfortunately, I have no control over the others.
broadway is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

While it is a bit comforting to say that we should wait to see what the Senate does, few of us got to (or are heading to) ER without a lot a good solid pre-planning. I believe I will be able to figure out a solution to all of this health insurance mess no matter what Congress does. However, it's all about planning and having the time to do so. Living in AZ, where my wife and I experienced a 170% premium increase, with basically no notice, I am concerned that one option for us will be to move to another state, or perhaps country. That doesn't happen in a few months. So at least I hope our lawmakers have the common sense and decency to make changes slowly and make sure the HI ship doesn't tip over while it's making the U-turn.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Health care and health insurance are important issues to early retirees. The moderator team finds that this thread has run its course - AHCA has passed in the House and now is in the Senate's court.

A lot could change in the Senate. Continuing to discuss the details of the House bill at this point is speculation given the anticipated changes..

It would make sense to discuss the issue again after the Senate has made their changes.

Thanks for the discussion.

Ronstar on behalf of the ER.org moderator team.
Ronstar is online now   Reply
Closed Thread