Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have finally made the transition from being awful at washing my hands, to merely been bad.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in California so I use water sparingly

Old 10-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would have to go with 'no'. If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger! Well not quite to that extreme but I do believe in letting my 'good' bacteria have a fighting chance.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
After the last cruise ship outbreak I read an article about the Navy's take on prevention. Wash a lot is of course mandatory, but when a crew member becomes ill he is immediately isolated until cleared by medical.

That's an operational readiness issue. A submarine or aircraft carrier with half or more of the crew puking isn't going to be much good to anybody.

Perhaps one of the Navy guys here can comment.
Maybe on an aircraft carrier, but there are not a lot of isolation opportunities on a submarine. It is a very cramped shared space and the air is recirculated, not fresh. The medical facilities are also rudimentary; there is no doctor, just a hospital corpsman.

What usually happened is that when we first went to sea after being ashore for a while, the entire crew would get the same cold in the first two weeks. After that, no one would be sick again until we returned to port.

And if we were all puking, we just did our jobs while puking.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wring my hands!!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I have some slight allergies. How to scratch that nose once in awhile?
Frequent hand washer here, but nowhere close to monk level frequency. I try to avoid touching my face (esp. eyes/nose) unless my hands are clean as I've heard that's how colds are spread.

Lots of "ewww" factor when one notices people in public washrooms who exit without washing hands.

For your question - maybe - like sneezing into elbow instead of hands, find a way to keep germs away from fingers. Rub upper part of nose with wrist/back of hand (not touching nostrils or eyes for that matter). Keep fingers away since you touch other things with fingers. Maybe (?) this is safer until you can wash.

Use germ-killing disposable tissues?

Maybe others have better suggestions.

Now I should go wash my hands...
Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
For your question - maybe - like sneezing into elbow instead of hands, find a way to keep germs away from fingers. Rub upper part of nose with wrist/back of hand (not touching nostrils or eyes for that matter). Keep fingers away since you touch other things with fingers. Maybe (?) this is safer until you can wash.

Use germ-killing disposable tissues?
Regarding touching the face, I have all kinds of weird thoughts about this one. I'm very allergic to poison oak and just got a bit on a trip last week. It's actually an oil that you cannot see (kind of like viruses ... invisible but there). I got it on my lips a bit, after touching my shoes (I think). So there is a real time example of the dangers of touching bad stuff.

I mentioned to the doctor just a couple of weeks ago that I use the back of my wrist area which has guy hairs to lightly scratch my nose when it itches a bit. He wasn't impressed with my technique. Gave me a doubtful look.

Maybe using a tissue to itch the face is a good idea? It's an extra effort for sure but I carry them all the time because of light allergies.

I don't think I'm fearful of viral infections, just trying to come up with best practices. After all, what do you do in ER when you like to analyze stuff to death?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wash my hands before and after meals and after I return home from outside. Sometimes I make an excuse to go to the bathroom if I shake someone's sweaty or dirty hands. I don't wash with soap every time.

I very often wash my face or wipe it clean after someone gives me a kiss on the cheek. Thankfully, I live in a country where locals do not practise this often.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum