Are you a runner or a jogger? Setting target heart rate ...

I used to be a pretty fast runner. Well not really pretty (I'm a guy after all) but fast.

Over the years I just didn't go to the track to check pace and didn't have a watch that checked pace. Now with the new Apple Watch I can see the pace to my horror. I find that the pace can really be affected by terrain. Running on a fairly flat surface but dodging puddles and small undulations can slow me down. Running up hill versus down hill with small rocks on the trails can change the pace by 2 minutes easily.

Notice I'm not mentioning my pace numbers. Nothing to brag about at age 71 except that there aren't many my age out there running any more. I do enjoy walking and know my running years are numbered.

Running is excellent exercise and a nice hobby, but I got sick, early on, of conceited runners. As a gym-goer and general-fitness pursuer, I never hear general-fitness people bragging about their fitness. I certainly don't hear them taunting less-fit people. No doubt some do, but it doesn't seem like the level of conceit that I've observed in many who run for exercise.

I can jog short distances on the treadmill. With a one-centimeter leg length discrepancy, running or jogging on terrain causes back problems. As a young woman, I walked fast for exercise and took all kinds of scornful cr@p from people who ran by me, splashed sweat on me, yelled things like "Why aren't you running?" "You're too slow!" "Get a bicycle!" (In addition to the usual cr@p all young woman take when they appear alone on a public street).

I remember calling the local "striders" club to ask about programs for fast walkers. Instead of a courteous "sorry, there aren't any at this time, maybe you could start one," I received a haw-haw-haw horselaugh from the guy at the other end of the phone.

For a year, I shared an office with a man who believed it made you special to run for exercise. Talked about running all the time. Because I was in shape, he would try to draw me into conversations about how superior we were to people who don't exercise. Yech.

Pepper spray...

well 12 minutes or slower you are a walker.. ok I can't run or jog because I'm so slow I miss the cut off. Though I did find a turtle group and we still consider ourselves joggers as its about the type of motion, not your time.

I do remember years ago, when I was at my fastest, i was running full out on the treadmill, I'm 5'4" and my 6'4" friend gets on next to me, he speeds up to match my speed and he was barely at a brisk walk at which point he laughed so hard he fell off the treadmill. He's like your legs were going so fast but you were going so slow.
I don't think anyone here said that, did they? DFW asked for advice on a jogging speed, and I took at guess at 12 min/mile (5mph) based on him saying he was still sprinting around bases, and had been trying 6mph, which I'm guessing is too fast for him. I hope the words I put with that guess told him that slower was ok if 12 min/mi wasn't comfortable.

I think there's a pretty distinctive difference between walking and running/jogging, probably the foot on ground thing mentioned. I've definitely seen people walking faster in an ultramarathon than what I was running at a late point in a race.

Amethyst, sorry you had a bad experience with a runner. All of us are obnoxious some of the time, some are all of the time. Unless someone actually likes running, I think brisk walking is a better exercise. Lower impact, and more likely to be something you'll keep up. I like running, so I do that.

My usual pace (run/walk) is about 13 minutes per mile, which I think is what Aerides meant, rather than mph. That's very slow, but good enough at my age.

DW belongs to a walking group. While her personal pace is more like 16 min/mile, there are quite a few members at 13 minutes, some even less, and they are definitely walking. Highly trained racewalkers can do 7 min/mile.

ETA: Probably the best distinction between running/jogging and walking is that a walker always has at least one foot touching the ground. Runners/joggers are generally airborne for a part of each stride.

I meant to clarify that 12 minutes was the cutoff for a lot of races I entered, when you were past 12, you got put in with the walkers or not even allowed to be in the "timed" section. I understand we were in Chicago and they can only hold the traffic for so long, still frustrating though because I was definitely not walking. Out in NC there are hiking groups that average 5 mph which I find insane with all the up/downs,elevation, roots, rocks, etc...

I just try to get a little faster walking and jogging as best I can as my better half is 6'2" and was long distance runner in his youth.. he usually places in the top 5 of the charity 5ks but laments his youth, his bad knee, how fast he once was when he was like 60 pounds thinner.

Former runner here. Gave it up due to pain in both knees from osteoarthritis. Switched to cycling for cardio exercise. I love cycling but do miss running.

This is almost me, except for the fact that I was neither a runner or jogger. By that, what I mean is that I have never participated in any planned or structured exercise, but used to absolutely love running and sprinting in short bursts. As a kid, I never walked when I could run, choosing to sprint around the house, and even from one side of the room to the other. I'm sure that's common behavior for kids, but I carried that behavior, at least partially, into adulthood. A good part of me was aware that sprinting indoors, deftly weaving my way around people and other obstructions, was somewhat, erm, childlike! For this reason, I'd moderate the behavior, but still look for opportunities to let rip. I would never walk up a staircase, instead choosing to make it a personal competition to get to the top as fast as possible. It all sounds a bit undisciplined, looking back.

Then, at some point in my 30's, the effects of knee injuries, arthroscopy on both knees, and eventual osteoarthritis, began moderating this behavior. By the time I'd hit my mid-40's, I'd had to accept the fact that running was going to become a thing of the past.

For years, I really, really missed sprinting up staircases. Looking back, I realize that was a very stressful thing to do to my knees, but wisdom is often only gained in hindsight. It took a long time to reprogram myself, and years of ignoring the urge to run, whether up staircases, or on the flat. Pain was a strong motivator!

Now, at the tender ago of 55, I walk everywhere like an old man, and hobble a little too, due to the arthritis. Luckily, cycling seems to still work well, but boy, do I miss running and sprinting!

It was with a lot of runners, actually. A mere one or two glass-bowl experiences would have just rolled off my back. Of course none of it matters now at my age. I could probably hop around on one foot, and nobody but little kids would say a word.

I
Amethyst, sorry you had a bad experience with a runner. .

Great (non) running story. Just after my last marathon I was skating uphill on alpine skis and came across the local high school cross country skiing team. Passed about a third of them. Yes, they were on cross country skis. I think that makes me a runner. :dance:

But now I'm not a runner or a jogger: I'm a crutcher. :ermm:

Here's a way to do it that will give you something like the real number:
​How To Calculate Your Max Heart Rate (You're Probably Doing It Wrong)

braumeister - thanks for the link. It is useful.

I have not been into heart rate monitoring, but I received a Garmin Instinct for Christmas. Yesterday, I cycled around town for two hours - nothing strenuous, just a couple of inclines. The Garmin reported that my heart rate was "in the Red Zone" for one hour 17 minutes with a max rate of 171 bpm. I thought to myself "Red Zone sounds bad". Digging into the device, I realized it had set my "maximum heart rate" at 158 bpm based on my age of 62. If I am going to pay attention to the device (not sure if I will) I need to establish a better maximum heart rate. I may try what is suggested in the link.

I realized it had set my "maximum heart rate" at 158 bpm based on my age of 62.

That is exactly what's wrong with all the online calculators and formulas for determining your max HR based on your age. They may apply in general to much of the population, but all of us are unique individuals. So in order to actually get the kind of workout you want, you have to determine what is your real max HR.

In my case, my max is in the 180-185 range, and I'm in my 70s so clearly the formulas are meaningless for me. Thirty years ago it was about 190, so it really hasn't come down much.

I have not been into heart rate monitoring, but I received a Garmin Instinct for Christmas. Yesterday, I cycled around town for two hours - nothing strenuous, just a couple of inclines. The Garmin reported that my heart rate was "in the Red Zone" for one hour 17 minutes with a max rate of 171 bpm. I thought to myself "Red Zone sounds bad". Digging into the device, I realized it had set my "maximum heart rate" at 158 bpm based on my age of 62. If I am going to pay attention to the device (not sure if I will) I need to establish a better maximum heart rate. I may try what is suggested in the link.

You might want to make sure your Garmin is given you an accurate reading on your heart rate. Those heart rate readings seem very high for a non-strenuous workout. When I get my heart rate close to my max or in the red zone my body lets me know, I can't sustain that level for very long. I also have a Garmin (Vivoactive 3) and although the built in heart rate monitor is usually accurate it can jump around if the watch is loose on the wrist. Most Garmins have the option to pair with a chest strap which will give you a more accurate heart rate monitor.

the option to pair with a chest strap which will give you a more accurate heart rate monitor.

Good point!
The chest strap is generally the most accurate measurement. Surprisingly, the Apple Watch is a close second according to what I've read.

You might want to make sure your Garmin is given you an accurate reading on your heart rate. Those heart rate readings seem very high for a non-strenuous workout.

zinger - thanks for the advice. I think, however, the problem is the 220-62=158 Garmin calculated maximum heart rate. At that max rate, the system considers 143 bpm and above to be the Red Zone. I have since modified the settings and changed the max heart rate to 170 (which may still be too low). The same 143 bpm is now classified as Zone 3 (green zone) which puts most of yesterday's ride more reasonably into the Green and Orange Zones. Just illustrates that the "220 minus your age" formula does not fit all.

I don't think anyone here said that, did they? DFW asked for advice on a jogging speed, and I took at guess at 12 min/mile (5mph) based on him saying he was still sprinting around bases, and had been trying 6mph, which I'm guessing is too fast for him. I hope the words I put with that guess told him that slower was ok if 12 min/mi wasn't comfortable.

Your advice was on target, asked the PT today about jogging speed and he said between 5 - 6 MPH, which ever is more comfortable. I did 6 MPH again today, as I didn't feel overly challenged at 70% body weight. However, if this was a full body weight jog I'd probably be sweating like a pig and breathing heavy.

A thought on ramping up your running. I do it very sloooowly.

If I am off for a month on a vacation (usually involves plenty of walking) then I will give myself a month to get back to the previous distance per week. That is, I might have been doing 5 miles average runs so I will start back at 3 miles and slowly ramp up. Of course, depends on your age and general health.

If I were starting out after some years of not running. I'd do so very slowly and build up very gradually. Maybe ramp up at 10% more per week. So if you are doing a mile, then maybe do 1.1 miles the next week. No harm in plateauing for awhile. Using good running shoes (don't skimp on money here) is smart too.

If you can, try to run on a trail as opposed to pavement or concrete.

^^ Good advice. And when I'm ramping up for a longer race, I'll cut back my long run and weekly mileage every 3rd or 4th week.

Once more this, for me, comes under the heading "I know it when I see it"

As I have said before, I ran in HS and College. (a lot!) My race of choice was 120 yards with stick every 10 yards to go over. Now it only took about 14 seconds, and I have no idea what my heart rate was, but it did not stay up long. In the off season we had to run cross country. As this meant workouts often of more than 17 miles a day, I didn't call it running, not fast enough, but it sure wasn't jogging. The greatest revelation was when I learned that walking was just as good for your health as jogging/running. Now I am just about down to strolling, and I like it even more.

Thinking about it, maybe a simple definition would be something you can keep up for the rest of your life is jogging. Well most of it. There comes a time when we all go to walking.

Back
Top Bottom