Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Whoooolllleee new meaning to LBYM Gads..
A fitting reaction from someone named Notmuchlonger.

But in all fairness to FD's request for information, my opinion is that circumcision has no medical benefit in the absence of additional risks such as patients unable or disinclined to maintain decent hygiene. There are hints of higher transmission of certain viruses to the sex partners from uncircumcised men but that data is filled with uncertainty and is inconclusive.

The decision needs to be made on the basis of cultural or ritualistic factors, not medical ones.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Let me give ah check, "looking down at little guy" I ask, Moishe, did you get da schnip or vat?

Moishe, leave me alone, don't touch me, they took off enough over 50 years ago, do ya think it grows back? Are you a schmuck for asking such a qvuestion?

Moishe has spoken

jug

Old 01-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post

Moishe has spoken
OK, you started it.

Here is an excerpt from a NPR "Fresh Air" mohel/circumcision story in 2001. I defy you not to laugh at the jokes...especially the last one.

Veteran Broadcaster Larry Josephson : NPR

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I certainly am glad I happened across this thread! Never a dull moment around this place Put me in the category of, ummm...never mind, it was too traumatic. I just can't talk about it! It was 51 years ago, but I remember like it was yesterday! I wish my "memory" was that long!
Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #45
gone traveling

Four Times mo Better

Circumcision Decreases by Four Times the Penis' Sensitivity - This is genital mutilation - Softpedia
Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, there's always penile frostbite to return the lost sensitivity.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I'd hate to be the researcher who had to design the double-blind control tests...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Innocence lost...I worked with guys all my life but this topic never came up on coffee break. You're killing me...
Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Innocence lost...I worked with guys all my life but this topic never came up on coffee break. You're killing me...
I'm really shocked this subject would bother you. We get into the gritty details of portfolio management all the time and no one has ever been the least bit squeamish about the subject of slicing and dicing. Not even the stodgy Norwegian Widow.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm really shocked this subject would bother you. We get into the gritty details of portfolio management all the time and no one has ever been the least bit squeamish about the subject of slicing and dicing. Not even the stodgy Norwegian Widow.
Oh, it takes more than discussions about circumcision to bother me.
It's just the first time I saw this level of detail.
It's been a real education. By all means, continue, gentlemen. I haven't fainted yet.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Dude, stay away from those ice-maidens, it ain't safe.

I am not sure this would be a good thing for haha. Remember "Don't shoot until you see the whites of her eyes".

Ha
Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
A fitting reaction from someone named Notmuchlonger.

But in all fairness to FD's request for information, my opinion is that circumcision has no medical benefit in the absence of additional risks such as patients unable or disinclined to maintain decent hygiene. There are hints of higher transmission of certain viruses to the sex partners from uncircumcised men but that data is filled with uncertainty and is inconclusive.

The decision needs to be made on the basis of cultural or ritualistic factors, not medical ones.
There is however other medical reasons that make it essential to be circumcised like "Phimosis" where the foreskin will not retract and at times cause extreme pain during intercourse. I know what I am talking about because I was surgically circumcised at the age of 20 and believe me the recovery was not fun at all.

We had our son done at birth.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I know what I am talking about because I was surgically circumcised at the age of 20 and believe me the recovery was not fun at all.

We had our son done at birth.
So how was the nursing care?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Your friendly forum pediatrician checking in.
My opposition to routine neonatal circumcision is based on
(a) observation of some very, very serious mishaps (don't ask)
(b) coming from Europe, where most men are not circ'ed, and get along just fine
(c) a general philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
(d) my ethical opposition to nontherapeutic/cosmetic procedures on nonconsenting children.

I respect parents' right to do this to their soms for religious reasons, though it does make me squirm....

http://www.amazon.com/As-Nature-Made.../dp/0060929596
Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
... "gentlemen" ...
Only by virtue of an act of Congress, but at least I have the paperwork to prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
So how was the nursing care?
This type of surgical recovery is one of those specific cases where you'd desperately wish to avoid having an arousing good time...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
There is however other medical reasons that make it essential to be circumcised like "Phimosis" where the foreskin will not retract and at times cause extreme pain during intercourse. I know what I am talking about because I was surgically circumcised at the age of 20 and believe me the recovery was not fun at all.
True, there are unusual conditions that may require therapeutic circumcision at any age -- sorry your number came up.

But paraphimosis is very uncommon and certainly doesn't justify routine circumcision for all boys. You'd need to circumcise 99 boys for no medical reason to prevent one episode, which episode could be treated at the time it occurs in any case.

That said, I'm sure it was no fun for you.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
It is much easier to keep the male's genitals clean and I understand that statistically it is healthier for their wife.
Remaining faithful during marriage will take care of that. Sure, if a husband is unfaithful, he will be more susceptible to sexually transmitted disease and would infect his wife. Circumcising children is child abuse, plain and simple.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #58
gone traveling

Here's help!

NORM - The National Organization of Restoring Men
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #59
Dryer sheet wannabe

after the stock market returns of 08', we all feel clipped in the ----.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #60

I was thinking on this.. esp. Brat's leaping to the (very common) defense of "cleanliness".

JUST WASH!! We don't cut off fingertips to avoid dirt under the fingernails, nor do we pull teeth to avoid possible tooth decay. [I seem to remember, though, that "preventive" hysterectomies hit a height of popularity in the '60s/'70s..]

To me it all ties in with a creepy anti-sex vibe as I grew up in the US. Better to slice off a 'dirty' part of the penis than to WASH it.. which COULD involve more than a few seconds of SELF-TOUCHING on practically a DAILY BASIS!!! Which is obviously to be avoided.

I think of my mom, with her preventive hysterectomy, getting agitated because "WHAT was I DOING in the shower FOR TEN WHOLE MINUTES!? (not an issue of water or heat cost, believe me). It wasn't 'til I left home that I even "got" what that tone of tension was all about. It was the same borderline psychosis that viewed bidets as blatant and offensive badges of sexual licentiousness rather than convenient aids to mundane personal hygiene.

I guess I came from a not-uncommon American bkgd. of a certain era in which not only genitals but any 'private' bodily need or function was shoved into the tiniest mental, physical and temporal space humanly allowable, lest be opened the family floodgates to day-long orgies of who-knows-what in the powder room.

At almost 49 I still get crap from my mom for public nose-blowing (with Kleenex, of course). Good thing we don't circumcise noses!

-----
The interesting thing (to me) is that I can't even identify a separate "foreskin" on an uncircumcised adult male; I think even some of the diagrams I was shown in school and encyclopedias of the time and whatnot were (willfully?) incorrect. The only thing I can imagine being cut away is a marginally random swath of whatever "extra" skin happens to seem to be around the shaft when it is not erect. In "real" uncut life it's all continuous skin from the glans to the abdomen, without particular distinction (as far as I can tell).

For example, as a "laywoman" I would aver that this is an unrealistic and deceptive diagram:
Acucullophallia - definition of Acucullophallia in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.