Join Early Retirement Today

Are you color blind?
Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
gone traveling

Are you color blind?

I came across this website on a shooting forum. There is new eye glass technology for correcting color blindness. You can take enchroma's online test to see if you have any deficiencies. I took it and found my color vision is normal, but I suspect this might be a very significant break through for those that are colorblind.

Color Blindness Glasses | Product Categories | EnChroma
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is me; I could never have been a pilot, etc, but it's never really affected me that much:

Moderate Protan | EnChroma

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have normal colour vision (like most women) but it still recommends that I try their product.

Normal Color Vision | EnChroma
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have normal colour vision (like most women) but it still recommends that I try their product.

Well at least you can try them and return if they don't make a difference for you. Seems fair to me, although I am not inclined to bother with further testing:

[QUOTE]Normal Color Vision

You were able to see the hidden shape in all or nearly all of the test conditions. This indicates a high probability of having normal color vision.

When people with normal color vision wear the EnChroma Cx glasses, they see a “color boost” effect: colors appear to “pop” with a super-ordinary vibrance. This effect, called chromatic contrast enhancement, is how the Cx also helps people with color blindness.

A complete diagnosis of color vision deficiency is not possible using remote testing. We recommend you try the EnChroma glasses and return them if it does not work. All EnChroma products are satisfaction-guaranteed within 30 days of purchase./QUOTE]
Old 08-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting link. I got the same normal color vision, but try our $300 plus sunglasses anyway. Um, no.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

When I bought a pair of polarized sunglasses a few years ago, the color spectrum really popped. Cost was $50 at REI. Got a normal on the OP's eye test.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Well at least you can try them and return if they don't make a difference for you. Seems fair to me, although I am not inclined to bother with further testing:
I'm perfectly happy with my normal colour vision, thank you. I see no need to make colours (or even colors) "pop".
Old 08-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My "diagnosis" after taking the test was Tritanomaly/Tritanopia. Yeah, right.
For some of the more faded colors with less contrast, there was a slight delay in recognizing the number.

I have an eye exam coming up on the 26th. I do have mild cataracts, but nothing else going on. I'll ask the doc if I have this condition (and where it was diagnosed) and see how long he laughs.

It was a cool test though.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
I'm perfectly happy with my normal colour vision, thank you. I see no need to make colours (or even colors) "pop".
I didn't mean you or anyone had to try, only that it wouldn't cost if it didn't work
Old 08-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well, gee. I expected the same, being female also, but instead I got:

Quote:
Inconclusive/Unknown Type
Unfortunately the test was not able to conclusively identify a particular type of color blindness.

EnChroma glasses are effective for about 80% of cases of color blindness. If you think that you may be helped by having better color vision, we recommend you try the EnChroma glasses and return them if it does not work.

All EnChroma products are satisfaction-guaranteed within 30 days of purchase.
I feel like a total failure at taking this type of test! I'll go sulk now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

When I was in my early 20's I remember taking a color vision test (required for a job to read color codes) and I passed. Took this on-line test and it said my color visor was normal.

Now if it were a hearing test that I was taking and I passed, my DW would say it was totally faulty.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

My results:

"Moderate deutans (“doo-tans”) have a moderate form of red-green color blindness caused by an anomaly in the M-cone photopigment gene sequence."

But I've known this for many years. My mother's father was the same way. My struggle started with the kindergarten color tests ("use the Red crayon to write the word Red").

I struggle the most with leaf colors in the fall where there is no context to reasonably guess what the leaf color is. My DW is still surprised when I miss that a red lilac or rhododendron is blooming. She's completely given up on asking me color questions about paint, furniture, clothes...

And it never ceases to amaze me when people invent two different names for what appears (to me) to be the same color. There's obviously no difference but "normal" people insist on seeing something that's not there.
twestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My result: normal vision, but their glasses will make color "pop". Fun test anyway.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post

Now if it were a hearing test that I was taking and I passed, my DW would say it was totally faulty.
So you too suffer from selective hearing
Old 08-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #15

I got a "normal" color vision diagnosis from the website test, although I had to pass on at least three of them.

Color vision is a really interesting (and complex phenomenon.

I remember a good friend from long ago who had one of the most common color blindness varieties. He had considerable difficulty with it as a child, and always came up with the same diagnosis in medical exams, but was able to train his brain to do well enough.

In fact, he did so well that his degree was in electrical engineering and he loved to build things. This was back in the 1960s, when it was essential to read the color codes on resistors, which he was able to do. With difficulty, but he did it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I got a "normal" color vision diagnosis from the website test, although I had to pass on at least three of them.
So did I. I'm thinking they may have included a few "controls" just to see if people were guessing. Some of them were quite subtle.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
gone traveling

I also had to pass on 3 of them. Made me wonder if there was actually anything there to see. Perhaps a control question?
Old 08-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the link. I took their test and have Extreme Deutan (I already knew this, having been tested multiple times). Their description of the symptoms of this was right on the mark. Now I need to see if my health FSA will cover them.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #19

Another factor I've rarely seen discussed is how we see the colors we see.

Occasionally, DW will point at something and ask me "What color would you call that?"

I'll respond (maybe "purple") and she'll look at me as if I had three heads and say "Really?"

Occasionally, one of her friends will be there and also give me the "Really?" look.

I'll try to dig myself out of the hole with something like "OK, light purple."

To which I will get a sad head shake. Then I'll say "What would you call it?" and get something like "sea green, of course."

So even though I have "normal" color vision, I obviously don't see colors the same way many others do.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Glasses disproved on a recent news show...

Some people had zero response... some 'saw' a difference, but still failed the color blindness tests...

Even the company says it does not 'cure' color blindness... or as the OP put it 'corrects'...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote