Are you color blind?

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I came across this website on a shooting forum. There is new eye glass technology for correcting color blindness. You can take enchroma's online test to see if you have any deficiencies. I took it and found my color vision is normal, but I suspect this might be a very significant break through for those that are colorblind.

Color Blindness Glasses | Product Categories | EnChroma

I have normal colour vision (like most women) but it still recommends that I try their product. :facepalm:

Normal Color Vision | EnChroma

Well at least you can try them and return if they don't make a difference for you. Seems fair to me, although I am not inclined to bother with further testing:

Normal Color Vision

You were able to see the hidden shape in all or nearly all of the test conditions. This indicates a high probability of having normal color vision.

When people with normal color vision wear the EnChroma Cx glasses, they see a “color boost” effect: colors appear to “pop” with a super-ordinary vibrance. This effect, called chromatic contrast enhancement, is how the Cx also helps people with color blindness.

A complete diagnosis of color vision deficiency is not possible using remote testing. We recommend you try the EnChroma glasses and return them if it does not work. All EnChroma products are satisfaction-guaranteed within 30 days of purchase./QUOTE]

Interesting link. I got the same normal color vision, but try our $300 plus sunglasses anyway. Um, no.

When I bought a pair of polarized sunglasses a few years ago, the color spectrum really popped. Cost was $50 at REI. Got a normal on the OP's eye test.

Well at least you can try them and return if they don't make a difference for you. Seems fair to me, although I am not inclined to bother with further testing:

I'm perfectly happy with my normal colour vision, thank you. I see no need to make colours (or even colors) "pop".

My "diagnosis" after taking the test was Tritanomaly/Tritanopia. Yeah, right. :cool:
For some of the more faded colors with less contrast, there was a slight delay in recognizing the number.

I have an eye exam coming up on the 26th. I do have mild cataracts, but nothing else going on. I'll ask the doc if I have this condition (and where it was diagnosed) and see how long he laughs. :LOL:

It was a cool test though. :)

I'm perfectly happy with my normal colour vision, thank you. I see no need to make colours (or even colors) "pop".

I didn't mean you or anyone had to try, only that it wouldn't cost if it didn't work:D

Last edited:
I have normal colour vision (like most women) but it still recommends that I try their product. :facepalm:

Normal Color Vision | EnChroma

Well, gee. I expected the same, being female also, but instead I got:

Inconclusive/Unknown Type
Unfortunately the test was not able to conclusively identify a particular type of color blindness.

EnChroma glasses are effective for about 80% of cases of color blindness. If you think that you may be helped by having better color vision, we recommend you try the EnChroma glasses and return them if it does not work.​

All EnChroma products are satisfaction-guaranteed within 30 days of purchase.​
I feel like a total failure at taking this type of test! I'll go sulk now.​

Last edited:
When I was in my early 20's I remember taking a color vision test (required for a job to read color codes) and I passed. Took this on-line test and it said my color visor was normal.

Now if it were a hearing test that I was taking and I passed, my DW would say it was totally faulty.:)

My results:

"Moderate deutans (“doo-tans”) have a moderate form of red-green color blindness caused by an anomaly in the M-cone photopigment gene sequence."

But I've known this for many years. My mother's father was the same way. My struggle started with the kindergarten color tests ("use the Red crayon to write the word Red").

I struggle the most with leaf colors in the fall where there is no context to reasonably guess what the leaf color is. My DW is still surprised when I miss that a red lilac or rhododendron is blooming. She's completely given up on asking me color questions about paint, furniture, clothes... :LOL:

And it never ceases to amaze me when people invent two different names for what appears (to me) to be the same color. There's obviously no difference but "normal" people insist on seeing something that's not there.

My result: normal vision, but their glasses will make color "pop". Fun test anyway.

Now if it were a hearing test that I was taking and I passed, my DW would say it was totally faulty.:)

So you too suffer from selective hearing:LOL:

I got a "normal" color vision diagnosis from the website test, although I had to pass on at least three of them.

Color vision is a really interesting (and complex phenomenon.

I remember a good friend from long ago who had one of the most common color blindness varieties. He had considerable difficulty with it as a child, and always came up with the same diagnosis in medical exams, but was able to train his brain to do well enough.

In fact, he did so well that his degree was in electrical engineering and he loved to build things. This was back in the 1960s, when it was essential to read the color codes on resistors, which he was able to do. With difficulty, but he did it.

I got a "normal" color vision diagnosis from the website test, although I had to pass on at least three of them.

So did I. I'm thinking they may have included a few "controls" just to see if people were guessing. Some of them were quite subtle.

I also had to pass on 3 of them. Made me wonder if there was actually anything there to see. Perhaps a control question?

Thanks for the link. I took their test and have Extreme Deutan (I already knew this, having been tested multiple times). Their description of the symptoms of this was right on the mark. Now I need to see if my health FSA will cover them.

Another factor I've rarely seen discussed is how we see the colors we see.

Occasionally, DW will point at something and ask me "What color would you call that?"

I'll respond (maybe "purple") and she'll look at me as if I had three heads and say "Really?"

Occasionally, one of her friends will be there and also give me the "Really?" look.

I'll try to dig myself out of the hole with something like "OK, light purple."

To which I will get a sad head shake. Then I'll say "What would you call it?" and get something like "sea green, of course."

So even though I have "normal" color vision, I obviously don't see colors the same way many others do.

Glasses disproved on a recent news show...

Some people had zero response... some 'saw' a difference, but still failed the color blindness tests...

Even the company says it does not 'cure' color blindness... or as the OP put it 'corrects'...

When I was in my early 20's I remember taking a color vision test (required for a job to read color codes) and I passed. Took this on-line test and it said my color visor was normal.

LOL... reminds me of my sister.... her DH had said that he only listens to half of what she says.... she came back with 'You are listening to the wrong half"...

Another factor I've rarely seen discussed is how we see the colors we see.

Occasionally, DW will point at something and ask me "What color would you call that?"

I'll respond (maybe "purple") and she'll look at me as if I had three heads and say "Really?"

Occasionally, one of her friends will be there and also give me the "Really?" look.

This is not at all uncommon and is one of the reasons it is so imperative to get color management correct in photography and many other industries. The chances that you perceive the exact same shade of green in a tree leaf as another individual are remote, as I understand it.

At this site (aimed at photographers) search on "color management" in the upper right hand corner and you'll get hits on more than enough information: Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community

And of course being able to give a numerical value to any specific color is important in industrial applications and advertising. The specific color of blue in the Ford oval emblem has a number, as does the brown on a UPS truck.

Everyone has seen a wall of TVs in a department store tuned to the same station and all or most showing different colors of the same scene. That's because they are not color calibrated. That's also why on some web sites where color is important they'll tell you that unless your display is color calibrated you will probably see incorrect colors.

Back maybe 52+ years ago I moved to Melbourne, Australia, from South Australia - the police in Melbourne at that time administered the driving tests - I 'failed' the color tests, and even though on the road test, I could correctly identify the status of each traffic light, and my driving was (virtually) faultless, I was failed by officers (who I suspected didn't want any 'blowback' should I be involved in a subsequent accident).

A more sophisticated color test, (ordered by the cops), showed that I perceived red darker than 'normal' people would see it.

Final road test - there's me and three cops, (one of whom was a sergeant), going through the "What color are the lights two intersections ahead?" routine. I'm nervous as hell, but doing well - although still suspecting they're going to find an excuse to fail me.

Sergeant says "Pull around that corner and stop at the curb".......turn the corner and the curb has a solid yellow line, so I think it's a 'gotcha'.

"Sorry, can't stop here, solid yellow line" I said, and kept going.

Sergeant says "When I tell you to stop, you $#@!* STOP"........turns out he wanted to buy some cigarettes.

I got my license.

I'm late to the party, just saw a news report of some teenager try color blind glasses (probably by EnChroma) and it was funny to see him jump due to seeing color that had never been there before.

Amazing, that these work (for some) and you have to be color blind to make it useful.

They are pretty expensive at $350.

I can't buy a pair, as I won't have an excuse for blowing through red "to you" lights :D

Back
Top Bottom