Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Yes! Functional fitness is another reason to do the weight training. Many times nice people have offered me their help to lift "heavy" things and were surprised to see me go ahead and lift it effortlessly.
I love showing those young whippersnappers a thing or two!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
I love showing those young whippersnappers a thing or two!
Yes, me too! When I was still working, I used to love offering to help young co-workers in loading heavy boxes of books, reports, or files onto and off of a cart, if someone was moving from one cubicle to another. Nobody ever took me up on it, but I loved seeing the looks of horror on their faces at the mere thought of it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never needed to strenth train when I was working since I was constantly lifting things but since retiring I've made a consious effort to stay mobile . Like Orchid Flower I swim with resistance gloves and they really work . I also work out with water dumbells and do kick boxing !
Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here are the graphs related to number of sessions/week:

Attachment 9206

and number of sets:

Attachment 9207
I didn't look at these charts carefully before I made my previous post. It appears that lifting 3x/week is only slightly better thatn 2x/week. It also appears that doing more than one set of each exercise produces little or no benefit.

Conclusion: I'll stick with doing one set of each exercise, twice weekly.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Recovery time gets longer with age. This means it's harder to train at elite levels. Muscle and bone mass goes down with disuse, not age. Many start slacking right out of college. For some reason there is a gender difference which makes women train with weights which are far lighter than they should be much to their detriment.
Max VO2 also goes down with age, which is why you're in the Master's class in cycling once you hit 32 years old. Stamina actually tends to go up, so ultramarathon winners are sometimes in their 40s rather than their 20s.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I had always done weight training, from age 20 on, do you think I'd have more muscle mass now (at age 56)?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:29 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
If I had always done weight training, from age 20 on, do you think I'd have more muscle mass now (at age 56)?
I don't know the answer to this - but there was a magnificent display in the museum in Dublin of prehistoric times. They showed the actual leg bone of a woman who (they presumed) had ground corn by rolling a rock repeatedly in a stone bowl. The bone had large bumps where the tendons attached, from the constant repetitive use from an early age. My take home lesson was that our bodies are capable of so much more physically than we modern humans ever achieve, because we sit around so much when young. Of course you could ask someone with an MD for a more credentialed answer!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Weight train every other day and I clearly notice the difference.

Me, I'm convinced the single biggest thing I can do to enjoy my later years (early 50's now) is to maintain a consistent exercise program that includes weights. While diet is important: it is nothing without daily exercise IMH, but uneducated, O.
Agree. I read somewhere that erobic exercise with extend your life but weight training will improve its quality. Healthy weight is also very important though.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The long-term effects of weight training are hard to study, and I don't know of any published study on the matter. I do know about the famous Dallas Bed Rest study, which showed that 20-year-olds put on bed rest for 3 weeks had the fitness level below that of a typical 50-year-old, and that 50-year-olds put on an 8-week exercise program had the fitness of a typical 20-year-old. The data gathered were % body fat and VO2max.

I believe that the same thing applies to strength: Levels of muscle mass are really dependent upon what you've done over the past few months and not such much what you've done over you lifetime.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did not used to weight train but I have added it to my repertoire nowadays. Before I only ran but I have added light weights after my running workout (I only run every other day). I only started doing it about 7 weeks ago and it already has made a visible difference. I live near a huge park and there is a 400 meter track there. There is an outside area with some jungle jim type bars and some free weights.

After my running workout, I rest for about 5 minutes and then just do various exercises for about 15-20 minutes (pull-ups, lifting a few hand weights, push ups, leg bends moving feet from vertical to horizontal). I usually rest about 2 minutes between each exercise. This is in Medellin, Colombia. It is amazing how good of shape some of the guys are there, all doing smart exercises with limited equipment.

I am still much more serious about running than muscle workouts, I typically run 5 kilometers in my track workout at about a 23:00 pace (this is at 1500 meters elevation so that is about 21:30 at sea level). But I would not give up the weight stuff now, I do enjoy it and the difference was quickly visible. Also, it does not take that much time, as little as 15 minutes can make a difference. I can recommend it!

Kramer