Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to lift 3-4 X a week. Then I came up north to eldercare and all that went down the tubes. Now I want to start up again after I move from here, and will do it. I really love lifting weights for some reason I don't even understand.
However, in the interim, I wear swim "gloves" that are gloves with webbed fingers (swimoutlet.com) which add resistance in the water when I swim 3X a week, and that has had to do it for the past few years. And, yes, it really has made a difference in my arm strength alot...so I'm doing something (just not using free weights).

To the original question: Yes, I find I have to use the swim gloves and the weights on my ankles when I water jog and swim in order to add resistance, thus, building up strength in my arms and legs. If I didn't do that, going up stairs would really be much harder than it is now I'm sure. 'Ya get old and you use it or lose it for sure.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
In the book I mentioned above, the author shows some research that demonstrated that the benefits of strength training three times per week were only a little better than two times per week.
In addition to the above, older folks require longer to recover from a weight lifting session. You should at least skip a day between lifting, and maybe more ideally, skip two days. In effect, this may leave you only 2x/week. Personally I find it easier to schedule 2 weekday(usually Tuesday and Friday) mornings.

Most of my weight lifting is for upper body, I presume the elliptical/cardio I do is sufficient for the legs. Not sure if that's totally true or not, but it seems to be.
barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barker View Post
In addition to the above, older folks require longer to recover from a weight lifting session. You should at least skip a day between lifting, and maybe more ideally, skip two days. In effect, this may leave you only 2x/week. Personally I find it easier to schedule 2 weekday(usually Tuesday and Friday) mornings.

Most of my weight lifting is for upper body, I presume the elliptical/cardio I do is sufficient for the legs. Not sure if that's totally true or not, but it seems to be.
I'm not an expert but I do weight training on lower body in equal measure to upper body, plus I do eliptical trainer and outside cycling. As we grow older I think lower body exercises increase in importance.

Here is an article from April this year.

Fitness: Working out your lower body and the Importance of Lower Body Strenght - Boomer Body Fitness

Quote:
The importance of working out your lower body after a certain age becomes more imperative (you know what happens when you break that hip). Lower body training is ideal for older Baby Boomers who are at risk of serious injury from falling and bone fractures. It improves overall balance, which means greater confidence in daily activities and a lessened likelihood of falling down. Furthermore, studies showed elderly individuals with greater leg strength showed markedly improved mobility. Those with better muscle strength also showed decreased knee and hip injuries.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Good points Alan. I like the list of exercises too. I should probably do some of those - the weight lifting aspect is different than elliptical and walking, although my legs are in pretty good shape, at least compared to the rest of my body. Thx.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Good points Alan. I like the list of exercises too. I should probably do some of those - the weight lifting aspect is different than elliptical and walking, although my legs are in pretty good shape, at least compared to the rest of my body. Thx.
You're very welcome

Both sets of our parents had balance problems and difficulty walking when they got into their 70's, in fact FIL is in hospital at present 'cos his legs keep collapsing under him - he is 85, has always been slim, and is still very active mentally. His planned trip to Cornwall this month is now cancelled and his trip to Canada where we will be meeting him in September is now in doubt.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I was always a big believer in lots of exercise. As those around me have gotten older I've been amazed at how functional they are after having abused their bodies with alcohol, cigarettes, poor eating, and lack of activity. I figured I've been overdoing it, backed down, and found I can maintain and feel great without inconveniencing myself.

I've learned the 4 basics to be strength, cardio, flexibility, and balance.

I do push ups on the counter while I wait for my food to cook or the water to get warm in the shower, etc. I put in a pull up bar on my bedroom door and do pull ups anytime I pass under it. I stretch and do balance work while I watch the sprinklers or TV. And since retiring, there's time to walk and bike anywhere I need to go.

Not much equipment needed and it can be done anywhere. There are plenty of good resources out there to help tailor a program of fun and easy things to do.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I do push ups on the counter while I wait for my food to cook or the water to get warm in the shower, etc. I put in a pull up bar on my bedroom door and do pull ups anytime I pass under it. I stretch and do balance work while I watch the sprinklers or TV. And since retiring, there's time to walk and bike anywhere I need to go.

Not much equipment needed and it can be done anywhere. There are plenty of good resources out there to help tailor a program of fun and easy things to do.
Try doing squats (I hope that's what it's called) when unloading the dishwasher instead of just bending down...
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Try doing squats (I hope that's what it's called) when unloading the dishwasher instead of just bending down...
A few years ago someone showed me an article on how extremely effective squats are for lower body strength and heart health.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I returned to strength training today after having stopped a few years ago. I was appalled at how weak I had become. It had been suggested that I do chest presses (on machine) at 30-40 pounds, 20 reps. This ended up as 10 pounds! Some of the others weren't so bad but I found that my upper body strength was really non-existent. Lower body was bad, but better.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

At my peak strength training with a trainer I was doing two times a week, and made tremendous progress. But I was also doing 3 sets of each exercise!

Rest time is critical for serious strength training. Muscles need time to recover and heal in order to get stronger, so there are real benefits to the waiting part.

I'm not surprised twice a week is almost as good as 3x.

Now if you do "split sessions" - upper body on a different day from lower, for example, you should do 4 times a week.

Audrey
Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not for me! There are huge benefits for lunges, squats (or leg press) and dead-lifts and the occasional calf-raises that elliptical doesn't put enough stress on the body. You need both.

Just my opinion. I do a lot of walking and some cycling and walking seems to keep my calves really toned, but I feel tremendous additional benefit from lower body weight training. Specially for us ladies and keeping our hip bones strong.

Audrey
Old 05-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Here are the graphs related to number of sessions/week:

StrengthTraining 001.jpg

and number of sets:

StrengthTraining 002.jpg
Old 05-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

thx for posting those. Looks like 1 set and 2x/week really does the majority of what you gain with weight lifting.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I could be remembering wrong, but I could swear that heavy squats and deadlifts since they use the largest muscles in your body, release the most HGH into your system which actually is helpful to your upper body efforts, as well.

To the OP who had the high boredom factor, you may want to try some kettlebell training which uses the weights in a more functional, core inclusive way rather than isolating each movement like a bodybuilder would:

This is just a brief example, you can find many more videos on youtube.
start watching at 2:33 to cut past all the talking.

igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #35

Weight training is incredibly important! I had an experience recently that made me so glad that I started weight training in 2000. In Feb I slipped on ice and fell hard on the sidewalk. I fell on my hip and side. It hurt, but I got up immediately and walked away from it with no injury. Not only that! I walked away with no soreness, no bruising either! I attribute it to the layer of muscle I have built over my hip area. It helped that I have a layer of fat too.

I started weight training in 2000 doing the Body for Life program. But really it is easy to do at home with a set of adjustable dumb bells or even using body weight exercises.

I am not a fit looking person, weighing 175 at 5'5" but I have a lot of muscle and I do not have any trace of osteoporosis at age 60. Weight training is good for bone health!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I've read a lot of the research on strength training, and my conclusion is that one set is almost as good as three, and two sessions a week is almost as good as three. So I do one set (sometimes I sneek in an extra set) of each exercise, twice per week.

The research also shows that strength training is the best antidote for fraility among senior citizens. In fact, strength training among those 80+ years olds helps them gain more physical independence and self-sufficiency through greater mobility.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is incredibly liberating for a woman of a certain age to be able to easily lift a maxed out carry on case into the overhead bin, and after the flight, remove it without accidentally decapitating anyone. Also, it takes muscle to stand up and walk straight all the time. Slumping makes you look older than you are. For this, I must do regular weight training.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Here's an indication of how my strength has changed over time:

ChinupsVsTime.jpg

IOW, there was a rapid increase in the first months, followed by a plateau, and now, after two years some more gains. Sept '09 is when I started going low-carb. I lost 4.5 pounds (168 to 163.5), so that weight loss could explain that recent gain.

Analysis of other exercises, such as bench presses, is complicated by the fact that I've changed the amount of weight, and also, I can't push myself to complete exhaustion without worrying about dropping the dumbbells or being unable to lower the weights and get up from the bench.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
It is incredibly liberating for a woman of a certain age to be able to easily lift a maxed out carry on case into the overhead bin, and after the flight, remove it without accidentally decapitating anyone. Also, it takes muscle to stand up and walk straight all the time. Slumping makes you look older than you are. For this, I must do regular weight training.
Yes! Functional fitness is another reason to do the weight training. Many times nice people have offered me their help to lift "heavy" things and were surprised to see me go ahead and lift it effortlessly.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Google Jack La Lane. He's now 95. He trains 2 hours a day I believe.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote