Join Early Retirement Today

Are you on drugs?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are you on drugs?

I am planning to not take all the prescription drugs doctors prescribe.

Why should I need them in older ages if I never needed them before?
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Good plan. No need to prolong the inevitable...
Old 11-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:

When you ran this by your primary care physician, what was the response?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #4

Sometimes you find that the quality of life is better with than without. But hey, give it a try.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post

Which ones would you take? How will you decide? Why would you not take "all the prescription drugs doctors prescribe?

(I wish I was on drugs but take only otc vitamin D and an all purpose multiple vitamin when I think about it.)
Old 11-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I thought this was a poll and would have answered "No".

Currently, I don't need any drugs (prescribed or not prescribed ).

If you don't want to take any, make sure you run that by your doctor as some have nasty withdrawal effects. Anti-depressives quickly come to mind.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes lifestyle changes can produce results that would make the drugs moot. Maybe that is what you mean?
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #8

I think that is an artery clearing, blood thinning, pressure lowering, beta blocking, prostate shrinking, libido boosting, mind altering, sleep inducing, appetite suppressing, acid inhibiting, mighty fine plan.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post

You will probably save a lot of money, too. And to save even more, just skip the doctor visits.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I love drugs. I take all the ones the Doc recommends. Better living thru Chemistry!

30 years in New Orleans - food, booze, tobacco and all night venues.

heh heh heh - pills, diet and exercise, nuts and twigs I am still above ground and a whole lot healthier. BUT! Ah the memories.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

An acquaintance of mine neglected to refill his high blood pressure medicine about 2 years ago. Just a few weeks later, he had a stroke at the age of 58. His left side and his balance were affected. He sometimes needs to use a cane now.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'd probably be dead now if I hadn't taken prescription drugs when my ruptured appendix led to an infected abdominal abscess.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I share the OP's healthy skepticism of Big Pharma (if that's behind his/her statement). I'm 61 and on zero prescriptions (but a few supplements that probably just make my urine very expensive). I quit taking statins after they gave me tendonitis; my cholesterol is borderline high but the good cholesterol is a big part of that number.

DH is on some meds that are so important to his health that I'd skimp on the grocery bill if we had to in order to pay for them (thank God we don't), so I'm not anti-prescription. I'm just a believer in cheap prevention and using the least invasive/drastic measures to get healthy even if sometimes it takes a bit longer. I take antibiotics about once every 5 years.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It is reasonable to add your own judgement to the question of whether a particular prescription your doctor recommends makes sense. Lipitor and Nexium come to mind. But some drugs are critical and you better know what you are doing if you forgo them.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My mom lived to 92 with high blood pressure. I doubt if she would have made it had she not taken her meds. OTOH, the constant advertising of drugs on TV has made me skeptical of Big Pharma. But, to make sure I am getting all the drugs I need I follow this advice.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #16

I understand the OPs perspective... I tend to be pretty skeptical of ongoing prescriptions. But if I have an obvious infection (UTI, infected wound, whatever) I want some antibiotics...

I have no ongoing prescriptions. It's pretty easy for me to be skeptical - I have normal BP, low cholesteral and zero risk for EDD. I might have a different opinion if I had those issues. (I'm at zero risk of EDD, though, lol)
Old 11-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My impression is that prescriptions tend to accumulate and that once a drug is prescribed it tends to stay prescribed and then new prescriptions have to interact with the effects of the drugs already in one's system. More drugs, more and more interactions.

I dropped Lipitor a few years ago - told my doc I didn't feel my cholesterol had been high and wanted to see if an oatmeal for breakfast regimen would suffice. My numbers did go up, but stayed below when I was first prescribed Lipitor. Currently only on a beta blocker, and not happy about it - I'm a pretty low pressure kinda guy naturally and this gets me downright sloth grade. That said, better than falling down and staying down. Guess I'm in the resist drug proliferation camp but don't BS the doc - they need good data to work with.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #18

In answer to the OP, how about simply finding a primary physician who believes in the the thoughtful (as opposed to liberal) prescription of drugs? They do exist. My doctor welcomes questions and is happy to provide as much information as he can about the pros and cons of any suggested courses of action/treatment. As is the case with more and doctors these days, he is a strong advocate of prevention through lifestyle, but will also prescribe medication if he considers it necessary.

No offense, but the simplicity of the statement in your original post comes across to me as somewhat troll-like in nature i.e. it conforms to the "make a bold, simple, and controversial statement, then sit back and watch the responses" style of posting.

In a somewhat related vein, I have been taking a low-dose aspirin every day for the last couple of years. I don't remember exactly why I started, but I don't think it was at the recommendation of my doctor. IIRC, it was simply because of a few articles I read which suggested it was a good idea for men over 50. My vitals are good - I have an athletic heart rate and my cholesterol is within acceptable limits. Next time I see my doctor, I'm thinking of asking him if I should discontinue, as I really don't like taking the same thing every day unless there's a very good reason.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #19

I am 61 years old and was so very glad that I was not on any prescription drugs. I hate taking pills and only took a Vitamin D. Found out in May of this year that I have a few minor heart problems and I am now on a beta blocker and a blood thinner. I would rather take these pills then have congestive heart failure or a stroke. As far as I know, I will always be on them.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I take the fifth. According to the labels it enhances the effect.