Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the current medical system?
YES. It's great 5 7.69%
No opinion, I don't mind 8 12.31%
NO. I have a lot of trouble finding affordable adequate coverage 45 69.23%
I refuse to answer this question 7 10.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Are you satisfied with the current medical system?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Yea government health care!! With the debacle of the Walter Reed treatment for out patients what makes anyone think that Universal Medical Care would be any different than that??

The best way to solve this mess is to have all of the congress and exectivite branch become uninsured for a couple of years and let them grapple with the existing system. Then give them the job of fixing it for everyone not just them.

Senator Wyden's proposal has merit but I doubt it will see the light of day as origionaly proposed after the special interests get a hold of it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually think that the Walter Reed problem stems from the fact that it ISN'T national Healthcare. The wounded had to do paperwork to prove they really needed care. They were not able to walk into any hospital to get the same care. National Healthcare is: You can go anywhere you would like to get treatment. You don't ned to show any membership card:
It is available to all. It is available anywhere.

It will reflect the values of the Americans and just the way Americans are. Just like the healthcare in Canada, India, France, Zimbabwe, etc reflect their values.
America is Walter Reed, it is also a luxurious hospital in New Jersey, a small doctor office in Wyoming...

Old 03-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
But many more of us believe that it is precisely on matters like health care where the future really is a toss of the dice, that Government should step in and help ensure that everyone has a reasonable opportunity to pursue happpiness.
It's up to the citizenry to pursue happiness not the government to provide the opportunity to pursue happiness.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
It's up to the citizenry to pursue happiness not the government to provide the opportunity to pursue happiness.
OK, how about ensuring domestic tranquility and promoting the general welfare?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #25

I'll go with that. Sorrry about the hijack.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did anyone sit down and take the time to read this whitepaper?

http://www.wpri.org/Reports/Volume19/Vol19no10.pdf

If so, I am curious about opinions....This woman spoke at a conference I attended, and she seemed very knowledgable. I thought she made a lot of good points.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidslovedogs
Did anyone sit down and take the time to read this whitepaper?

http://www.wpri.org/Reports/Volume19/Vol19no10.pdf

If so, I am curious about opinions....This woman spoke at a conference I attended, and she seemed very knowledgable. I thought she made a lot of good points.
That's interesting. There is an expert analysis of the problem. Surely returning to a consumer driven health care is a good idea. I am not sure though that we can achieve that through deregulation. It is not because we have bad regulation that all regulation is bad; so maybe we need "good" regulation instead.
The fact is the state cannot deregulate completely life or death choices and choices which individuals make that can affect the welfare of al the others.

One question (maybe cynical) that would need to be answered is how much the insurance industry lobbied this study? Since it can afford to lobby the states to get what it wants. (as in previous reforms, that' is why we have the current system) The consumer doesnot have this option.

Will the state of Wi. apply some of those findings?

Old 03-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Perinova,

From speaking with her, I don't think she is in favor of absolute deregulation, but rather, reform of the medicare and medicaid systems (she gave the Colorado example of people being allowed to make more choices with home health care and how that not only saved $$ but also resulted in better service) and using those changes in conjunction with more of a mentality of using health insurance as protection against bankruptcy vs. protection against any and all heathcare costs.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #29

One of the biggest, if not the biggest, reasons I did 20 years military is healthcare. I am satisfied with TRICARE Prime, and in a little over a year, I shall have Medicare and TRICARE For Life. DW and I are in fairly good shape, and lucky enough seldom to need much care, at 63 years of age. That said, I've seen people destroyed by medical bills. There must be a system better than Canada's or England's because they seem to have long waiting lists. I just don't know what it would be. And guess what, with all our seniors living longer, our medical system is going to cost more and probably be overburdened by the increased demand.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #30

Not at all. But I'm afraid that any attempt to "treat" the patient will kill it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
I would like to take a poll to find out who is satisfied or isn't.

For the dissatisfied: Can you give a brief idea on what you think should change? If a consensus is possible would you consider writing your congressman and senator with a set of complaints and proposals? Or sending a petition to congress?
I couldn't bring myself to vote that I am satisified, but also I couldn't bring myself to vote that I am not.

Do I think there are problems? Sure. Insurance costs going up every year. Price of procedures and hospital visits are outratgeous. I have a seperate thread where I am trying to figure out how to get private insurance for my wife after my wife and I retire, since she has had cancer.

However, I have also heard some of the horror stories from the coutries with socialized medicine. So, while I think there are problems, to date I have to be pretty happy with the care my family has received on the numerous procedures (multiple cancer surgeries, bypass, valve replacements, etc.) that have been performed over the years.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by playaman
I am conflicted on this question.

On the one hand, I've had excellent service from healhcare providers (including insurance companies) over the past three decades; on the otherhand, I live in fear that I will not be able to find affordable healthcare insurance when I enter the 'no man's' land of no-company-insurance when I finally call it quits next year.

One shouldn't be financially able to retire early but fear doing so because he or she may not be able to pay for health insurance.
ditto - 20 years in the system - (I came from the UK age 32), and while fully employed here I have had plenty of need of health care for my family, and been very pleased indeed with treatment, but often frustrated with lots of paperwork, disputes etc.

Only reason I don't RE now is that I'm afraid of being without the company health plan, which I will retain through age 70 if I retire in 3 years at age 55
Old 03-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #33

Quote:
With the debacle of the Walter Reed treatment for out patients what makes anyone think that Universal Medical Care would be any different than that??
-----------------
Privatized Walter Reed Workforce Gets Scrutiny
Some Democratic lawmakers have questioned the decision to hire IAP Worldwide Services, a contractor with connections to the Bush administration and to KBR, a Halliburton subsidiary.

Last year, IAP won a $120 million contract to maintain and operate Walter Reed facilities. The decision reversed a 2004 finding by the Army that it would be more cost-effective to keep the work in-house. After IAP protested, Army auditors ruled that the cost estimates offered by in-house federal workers were too low. They had to submit a new bid, which added 23 employees and $16 million to their cost, according to the Army.

Yesterday, the American Federation of Government Employees, the largest federal workers union, blamed pressure on the Army from the White House's Office of Management and Budget for the decision to privatize its civilian workforce.

------
http://tinyurl.com/2lcla2
WaPo