Join Early Retirement Today

Article: Foods rich in omega-3 may not help the heart
Old 03-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Article: Foods rich in omega-3 may not help the heart

Foods rich in omega-3 may not help the heart, analysis finds - chicagotribune.com

<snip>
The research showed insufficient support for nutritional recommendations by groups such as the American Heart Association that advocate high consumption of polyunsaturated fats like omega-3, found in fish such as salmon, and omega-6, found in corn and sunflower oils, as well as some nuts and seeds. The study appears in Monday's Annals of Internal Medicine.
</snip>

Should I return the 50 pounds of chia seeds I bought at Costco? jk. I am going to continue to eat mostly whole food and tune out the noise from the "experts".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

Should I return the 50 pounds of chia seeds I bought at Costco? jk. I am going to continue to eat mostly whole food and tune out the noise from the "experts".
You must have picked up the same bag I did at Costco!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #3

Quote:
I am going to continue to eat mostly whole food and tune out the noise from the "experts".
Smart thinking.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Foods rich in omega-3 may not help the heart, analysis finds - chicagotribune.com

<snip>
The research showed insufficient support for nutritional recommendations by groups such as the American Heart Association that advocate high consumption of polyunsaturated fats like omega-3, found in fish such as salmon, and omega-6, found in corn and sunflower oils, as well as some nuts and seeds. The study appears in Monday's Annals of Internal Medicine.
</snip>

When was Omega 6 ever considered heart healthy? I thought corn and sunflower (polyunsaturated) oils were to be avoided. I don't understand why they wrapped that into the article - maybe the AHA is still recommending them?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Interesting final paragraph:

Quote:
Monday's analysis also supports present guidelines restricting consumption of foods high in trans fats. The study didn't find evidence that saturated fats pose a heart risk, Chowdhury said.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

JERF - Just Eat Real Food.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

My nutritional guru continues to be Julia Child. She lived to 92 despite sugar, gluten, dairy, animal protein, fat, nightshade vegetables and wine, but alas, no chia seeds. Small portions, though.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
My nutritional guru continues to be Julia Child. She lived to 92 despite sugar, gluten, dairy, animal protein, fat, nightshade vegetables and wine, but alas, no chia seeds. Small portions, though.
I just watched an old episode. She cooked her ground beef hamburgers rare too!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:33 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Get yourself two slices of whole grain bread made with highly processed pulverized flour. It's good because it is whole grain. Spread some high transfat margarine on it. It's good because it's not real butter with all that dairy fat in it. Then put some of the low-fat 'mostly fruit' spread on it. It's good because it is very low in fat.

Do you remember when this was considered good, heart healthy advice??
Old 03-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #10

Latest! Wow! SatFat okay?

Study Questions Fat and Heart Disease Link

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...=MYWAY&ei=5065

Quote:
Many of us have long been told that saturated fat, the type found in meat, butter and cheese, causes heart disease. But a large and exhaustive new analysis by a team of international scientists found no evidence that eating saturated fat increased heart attacks and other cardiac events.

The new findings are part of a growing body of research that has challenged the accepted wisdom that saturated fat is inherently bad for you and will continue the debate about what foods are best to eat.

For decades, health officials have urged the public to avoid saturated fat as much as possible, saying it should be replaced with the unsaturated fats in foods like nuts, fish, seeds and vegetable oils.

But the new research, published on Monday in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, did not find that people who ate higher levels of saturated fat had more heart disease than those who ate less. Nor did it find less disease in those eating higher amounts of unsaturated fat, including monounsaturated fat like olive oil or polyunsaturated fat like corn oil.
Much more in the article, about the fact that people who go to low fat diets, typically compensate by turning to more refined carbohydrates.

Personal observation: As recent dietary studies evolve to change the accepted recommended "best food" guidelines, I look back to the 1940's, and the foods that we ate at that time... before pizza, before prepared foods, before frozen foods and before fast foods. It's beginning to look like a gravitation toward that norm.

The battle joined!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Some of us have been saying this for years.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #12

The two threads are the same topic so I merged them.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
When was Omega 6 ever considered heart healthy? I thought corn and sunflower (polyunsaturated) oils were to be avoided. I don't understand why they wrapped that into the article - maybe the AHA is still recommending them?
From what I understand, Omega-6 fatty acid is needed by the body but the important thing is the Ratio of fatty acids in different foods. Americans typically get way too much Omega-6 in relation to Omega-3's.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #14

With the linkage between saturated fat and heart disease now in question, I'm going to try to get my spouse to go back to real butter.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
From what I understand, Omega-6 fatty acid is needed by the body but the important thing is the Ratio of fatty acids in different foods. Americans typically get way too much Omega-6 in relation to Omega-3's.
. This study couldn't find any problem with high omega-6 seed oils or even the trans fats in chuckanut's margarine. Oh well. Eat less, don't smoke, get some exercise, get a decent amount of sleep, buckle your seat belt and, above all, make sure you picked the right genes.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...........Should I return the 50 pounds of chia seeds I bought at Costco? ..........
If you have some extra, I have a balding Chia Pet.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The human body needs both, but the SAD (standard American diet) contains too much O6 relative to O3. Additionally, the body uses the same chemical pathways to process both O6 and O3, so too much of one limits the absorption of the other.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
JERF - Just Eat Real Food.
+1

And its corollary, JIOG (just ignore official guidelines)
Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right - the problem is high Omega 6 already present in American diet.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The human body needs both, but the SAD (standard American diet) contains too much O6 relative to O3. Additionally, the body uses the same chemical pathways to process both O6 and O3, so too much of one limits the absorption of the other.
Exactly - this is a problem.