Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
gone traveling

As suggested here, I have found that I am indeed eligible for Medicaid starting Jan 1. Nobody can tell me why I received the email saying I was denied.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great news for you!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I applied for ACA and got the Medicaid letter. What is the minimum income needed to avoid Medicaid. We live in Illinois and am looking to get aca coverage for my wife, son and myself. Most of our "income" is coming from taxable investments. We are also, of course, including my wife's and son's salaries from their pt jobs.

Thanks,
Golfnut
Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

We're not your research department. You should be able to figure it out in about 5 minutes using google or your state's subsidy calculator.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We're not your research department. You should be able to figure it out in about 5 minutes using google or your state's subsidy calculator.
Tried that before posting. Maybe others can help.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #26

Medicaid is available to people with up to 138% of the federal poverty level. For a family of three that would be up to $26,951 per year in the contiguous 48 states. Subsidies apply up to 400% of FPL on a sliding scale. Kff.org has a subsidy estimator.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Tried that before posting. Maybe others can help.
According to this article, you can earn up to 138% of federal poverty level - Illinois Medicaid: Gov. Pat Quinn signs law to expand Medicaid to up to 342,000 Illinoisans - Chicago Tribune

Then according to the chart below, for 2013 the federal poverty level in Illinois for a family of 3 at 100% would be $19,530, making 138% = $26,951.40.-

Federal Poverty Guidelines

(Posted at same time as Alldone's reply. Glad my math was right.)
Old 12-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #28

Her's a link to the K.F.F. calculator that can provide state specific results.

Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #29

It's important to remember that asset limits are still in place for states which have not expanded Medicaid. The 138% test applies specifically to states which expanded Medicaid, and in those states no asset limits apply.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #30

Thanks to all who replied here. When applying, I know we had more than $27,000 entered into the ACA site (but still got the Medicaid letter). Want to avoid Medicaid.

Our scenario is we presently are covered by my former employer's retirement hc. The rub is it is $800 per month and it can be cancelled in years going forward (we are good for 2014). I know based on out limited income, the aca coverage (even a gold plan) with subsidies would be much cheaper. However, if I go to the exchanges, we cannot go back to my former employer's plan.

Also, looking far into the future, if the employer's coverage is still in place, it offers x/s coverage over Medicare at a present monthly cost of $691 (for both my wife and me). Not sure if this a reasonable price for x/s Medicare coverage.

Anyone out there with some comments or advice??

Thanks,
Propman
Old 12-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Her's a link to the K.F.F. calculator that can provide state specific results.

Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
When using that calculator and entering 2014 "annual income," is that the MAGI amount, for purposes of Medicaid? I understand that the Exchanges use MAGI, but does the state as well for Medicaid (using 138% of federal poverty level)?

The FAQ section linked by the calculator says, in part:
The calculator allows users to enter household income in terms of 2014 dollars or as a percent of the federal poverty level. Household income includes incomes of the taxpayer, spouse, and dependents. In determining eligibility for exchange subsidies, income will be based on your attestation of your expected income in 2014 and will be verified by the exchange with documentation from your most recent tax return, with consideration of reasonable changes you expect. Exchanges will calculate enrollees’ household incomes using Modified Adjusted Gross Income, or MAGI. The MAGI calculation includes such income sources as wages, salary, foreign income, interest, dividends, and Social Security. MAGI calculation does not include income from gifts, inheritance and some other income sources are partially excluded. More information on MAGI is available here.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
When using that calculator and entering 2014 "annual income," is that the MAGI amount, for purposes of Medicaid? I understand that the Exchanges use MAGI, but does the state as well for Medicaid (using 138% of federal poverty level)?
Yes. Income is determined using the same formula. Medicaid eligibility is also determined by the exchange.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #33

Just saw mention in a local TV newscast that 180,000 people have signed up for health care in Washington state in the last two months, with 160K of those approved for Medicaid, & 20K for other HI!