Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I had the room for a decent home gym, I would definitely work out at home. Right now I have a power rack, bench, 300 lbs of plates and 75 lb adjustable dbs, but my space (its in my master bathroom) is too confined so I only use it when I can't make it to my local gym. Also, the type of gym you go to can make a big difference in your enjoyment factor. My gym is not too big or too crowded. It is owned by an ex body builder and power lifting champion, so it has the right equipment and free weights for me. Most of the members are middle age and use personal trainers and the the gym etiquette is good. I could never handle going to one of those Fitness 24 type places.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
If I had the room for a decent home gym, I would definitely work out at home. Right now I have a power rack, bench, 300 lbs of plates and 75 lb adjustable dbs, but my space (its in my master bathroom) is too confined so I only use it when I can't make it to my local gym.
Home gyms take a lot of space! I am in the process of converting my 22'x13' dining room into my home gym. I have an exercycle now, and tentatively plan to add a treadmill, a total home gym for strength, and plenty of open space for Wii Fit, free weights, calisthenics, etc. Using graph paper and real dimensions, I determined that this is all that I can fit in the room comfortably.

Right now, we are also going to the gym three times a week so I am in no rush to buy everything right away. It's fun to exercycle in a big, nearly empty room with the ceiling fan on - - lots of space and moving air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW-M5
Also, the type of gym you go to can make a big difference in your enjoyment factor. My gym is not too big or too crowded. It is owned by an ex body builder and power lifting champion, so it has the right equipment and free weights for me. Most of the members are middle age and use personal trainers and the the gym etiquette is good. I could never handle going to one of those Fitness 24 type places.
Our gym is similar, and we have never tried one of those 24 hour fitness places.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Home gyms take a lot of space! I am in the process of converting my 22'x13' dining room into my home gym. I have an exercycle now, and tentatively plan to add a treadmill, a total home gym for strength, and plenty of open space for Wii Fit, free weights, calisthenics, etc. Using graph paper and real dimensions, I determined that this is all that I can fit in the room comfortably.
I would love to use our DR, but my DW has already acused me of having too many man caves around the house. Upstairs play room has my office, a home theater and my reloading bench. In the study down stairs I have my ham radio equipment (also serves as a bedroom for one of our cats) and of course the weight equip in the master bath. If I tried for the dining room, I'd end up sleeping on the back porch.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I would love to use our DR, but my DW has already acused me of having too many man caves around the house. Upstairs play room has my office, a home theater and my reloading bench. In the study down stairs I have my ham radio equipment (also serves as a bedroom for one of our cats) and of course the weight equip in the master bath. If I tried for the dining room, I'd end up sleeping on the back porch.
There are many times when both Frank and I are glad that he has his own house, and I have mine. I just love my house, and I love it even more now that it is all recarpeted and painted, and with a great big room devoted to exercise and gym equipment.

If you ever do set up a room for your gym equipment, I recommend as big a room as possible and adding a high ceiling fan. It's great to feel a little breeze in there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #45

I use a Soloflex that I bought in the late '90s and seems to be holding up. I notice several people have mentioned Bowflex equipment and am curious if you think that brand is better, and why.

To my knowledge, Soloflex is still in business but it seems they went through some changes.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I do five senior-citizen water aerobic classes each week. I chat with the ladies while warming up but after that I'm working hard and paying attention to the instructor. Lots of those ladies (men too) go for the socializing so I guess its "to each his own".
Old 03-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #47

Go to workout muscles, fine tune agility, speed and balance. Skip most if not all conversations.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Senior center. Small talk during treadmill warm up and cool down and stretching at the end of workout. Not so much during the heavy duty part and on the machines.

heh heh heh - tongue in cheek on the previous post - us guys chat too.