Attention > Time > Money

It brought a tear to my eye when I transported an elderly man on Hospice to a nursing home and he asked me to pause in the rain while he laid on the stretcher; he remarked it was the last time he would ever feel the rain.

Wow, that is powerful, and a heckuva reminder to enjoy our time now. One thing I vowed, while planning my ER, was to not be hesitant about trying some new things. I'm a creature of habit, and frankly enjoy the habits I do (e.g., running). But I also do my best to try new experiences. For example last year I signed up for a bird watching class. I enjoyed it and will do it again, even if it will not be a lifelong passion. But I will always be game to try new things.

Just came to this thread now. Special meaning...

Jeanie's and my very good friend Dolores, passed away a week ago @93. A sad funeral. Tuesday my next door neighbor's wife passed away, @84. Near our age.

This AM..., we spent two hours viewing some of my 100,000+ pictures... those from 1988 to 1990... when we were first retired. Friends, trips, adventures of all kinds. Cars we owned, places we lived and visited, and traveled to, and most of all friends... dozens, maybe hundreds... remembering names and the joys of life that we shared.

Nothing taken for granted. Every morning, a two minute hug. Every short trip when we're apart, even for a half hour, a quick kiss and a "love ya!"

Last edited:
Just came to this thread now. Special meaning...

Jeanie's and my very good friend Dolores, passed away a week ago @93. A sad funeral. Tuesday my next door neighbor's wife passed away, @84. Near our age.

Still, not a bad run...for either.

My mom's parents passed away at 94...but mom died at 64 & her younger sister at 72.

This thread is getting kind of down beat.

Now what about dogs? They are very much in-the-moment and don't care a bit about time or money. That's probably why we love them so much. :)

But still, I'd rather not be a dog. I agree that more attention to attention is a good thing. :)

It brought a tear to my eye when I transported an elderly man on Hospice to a nursing home and he asked me to pause in the rain while he laid on the stretcher; he remarked it was the last time he would ever feel the rain.

Thanks firemediceric for your post. It definitely brought tears to my eyes.

My wife and I struggle with the upcoming departure of our only child (daughter) to college this fall. We have all been very close through the growing up years. I forwarded your post to the Mrs. and said we have been approaching this wrong. Let's enjoy the "rain" with her tonight and every day. Embrace the changes that are coming. It will enhance our family relationship, not lessen it.

Absolutely true to enjoy the "rain" with your daughter. I didn't do enough to be patient and try to understand my kids better when they were in high school. Now they're grown up and independent. Our interactions are occasional. But I try to really listen. Even though the teen years were sometimes difficult, I often miss those times now.

Great thread - and very touching story about the hospice patient - my mother died while in hospice less than a year ago and while I was busy managing things about her care and location, I did try to remember and enjoy some last things she did for me, like cook for me my favorite dish of hers and talk with her about our lives.....appreciating and enjoying what I have now has dampened some of the grief and/or minimized any regrets I've had or will have.

I agree that it's important to pay attention (and as much as possible) enjoy the journey - not just the destination. Still, I've begun to find it somewhat liberating to realize (at almost 72) there are some things I'll likely never have to experience again.

I'll never lose a parent again. I'm unlikely to need another mortgage again (talk about "just trying to get through it" last time.) I'm unlikely to enter Canada again - the "nice" Canadian lady at the entry point essentially asked my (in several different ways) why the hell I was coming into Canada. She then spent 5 minutes (probably a little more) quizzing me about guns, even though I told her I was NOT bringing a gun into Canada.

I'm trying to get out of the old "glass half empty" attitude that has (otherwise) served me well so far. There is a price to be paid for the attitude and sensational is to be thanked for reminding me of that fact. I think I'm getting better, but I might be 120 by the time I really get the hang of it. YMMV

It's easy to get swept up in the momentum of all the things you "have to do." It's easy to ignore the fact that you've just rushed through one of your routines without paying a bit of attention. So recognizing this is a first step to get more out of your moments by paying more attention. Then it's time for a deep breath and for a question: what's the hurry? Being productive is good, but it's often driven by the worry of not getting "enough" done. This is probably more common for people on this forum than the average person. If I realize I'm not really connecting with my activity, I try to remind myself that there's no rush; I have the opportunity to pay close attention to the task. Once the needless pressure is off, it's amazing how much joy one can find in tasks you think you "don't like", or doing because you "have to".

Back
Top Bottom