Join Early Retirement Today

Attention > Time > Money
Old 02-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #1

Attention > Time > Money

Those are "greater-than" symbols in the title. Time can be wasted, so attention is greater than time.

Say you had some specific experience. Anything, good or bad. Was that the last time you will have this experience? To illustrate the point, I'd say it certainly could be, since you could die right after it.

Think back about the last time you did something you liked, maybe wilderness hiking. You don't really know if that was the final time you'll have that experience. You almost certainly didn't think at the time "I wonder if this is the last time I'll have this experience".

Everything you experience, from the smallest most "insignificant" things to the larger "special" things, is an opportunity to pay attention and so to savor your life. Paying more attention can make these experiences more precious.

The tendency for most of us is that we are just trying to get through stuff; to get to the end of what we are doing. But if you're distracted and not paying attention, you're wasting time. Attention is where the richness in life comes from.

If you haven't figured it out yet, this post is just to share the idea that it might be a good idea to be more mindful or to pay a bit more attention to the here and now. Who knows if this is the last time you'll experience another moment like it.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, sometimes I think, "When will be the last time I (fill in the blank)" and "Will this be the last time I (fill in the blank)" but such thoughts start feeling uncomfortably morbid.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I try to incorporate mindfulness on a daily basis, but sometimes it gets too difficult.
I am thankful for every day I have on this earth and express that often, to others and in my prayers.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
gone traveling

If I was in Colorado I would smoke a big fat one since it is legal then watch the world go by...and smile .. Smile.. Smile..
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #5

Two things. I was thinking about this very thing a few weeks ago at Christmas. I will be 62 soon. I could have 35 more Christmases. Or maybe 2 or 3. Ya never know.

Right this minute I am in a Blizzard Warning area. The last one was 10 yrs ago. Having spent most of my life in northern climes I've lived through and cleaned up after many blizzards. This could be the final blizzard that has any real impact on me. The next one will find me in a condo, apartment, or possibly nursing home. I will be shoveling and chopping ice likely through Monday. Not fun at all. But the last one?

I'm watching it. Sort of dreading the work ahead. But still trying to enjoy or at least connect with the experience.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Each year I travel I realize it might be the last time I visit many of the locations.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

There is nothing like avoiding a head on collision by a millisecond. This will get your attention and teach you to pay more attention to all the small and large experiences in life. That moment rolls around in my memory and I immediately sit up and pay attention!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

It brought a tear to my eye when I transported an elderly man on Hospice to a nursing home and he asked me to pause in the rain while he laid on the stretcher; he remarked it was the last time he would ever feel the rain.
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
...the last time he would ever feel the rain.
Thanks for that post. Today I'm going to make it my business to closely attend to something like rain, that I usually try to just "get through".
Old 02-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #10

The ultimate purpose of mindfulness is to touch that place where you are entirely free of all mental constructs, with no attachment to any memory of the past or thought of the future, experiencing the moment just as it is. There's a great force of creation at work, the direct experience of which is the same for everyone. It's quite a tricky task though.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
It brought a tear to my eye when I transported an elderly man on Hospice to a nursing home and he asked me to pause in the rain while he laid on the stretcher; he remarked it was the last time he would ever feel the rain.
Brought a lump to my throat. Thanks for sharing. Tomorrow is not guaranteed .
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #12

Perfect musings for a gloomy day here (weather-wise.)

I think this is sort of along the lines of my own theory about "what is life?"

Life isn't breathing, a beating heart, or brain activity. Life isn't measured by how long you can hang on to it.

Life is what you do with whatever time you're given here.

The interesting corollary to my theory concerns keeping someone "alive" beyond their ability to do anything. Everyone can define doing differently. It need not be a physical activity, but it almost certainly requires participation and awareness.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Perfect musings for a gloomy day here (weather-wise.)

I think this is sort of along the lines of my own theory about "what is life?"

Life isn't breathing, a beating heart, or brain activity. Life isn't measured by how long you can hang on to it.

Life is what you do with whatever time you're given here.

The interesting corollary to my theory concerns keeping someone "alive" beyond their ability to do anything. Everyone can define doing differently. It need not be a physical activity, but it almost certainly requires participation and awareness.
I'm unsure what you are driving at, but I largely feel what a person does, adds to their experience of life.

Having said that, this morning after the alarm went off, I dozed asleep again, and had an incredibly vivid dream in color with lots of interactions with other people, and I knew it was a dream as the cruise ship drove up on land and curved around in segments, which I thought at the time was pretty novel and new.

But it was just a dream, and I did nothing during that time, but somehow it has value.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Each year I travel I realize it might be the last time I visit many of the locations.
Ditto.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
The ultimate purpose of mindfulness is to touch that place where you are entirely free of all mental constructs, with no attachment to any memory of the past or thought of the future, experiencing the moment just as it is. There's a great force of creation at work, the direct experience of which is the same for everyone. It's quite a tricky task though.
^^^ This reminds me of the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. Kind of deep and 'out there' in parts but overall, I really really enjoyed it. After reading this thread, I think I'll go back and read it again. It's been several years since I last read it.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
^^^ This reminds me of the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.
My library system has 9 copies of this 2004 copyright book and I've got 17 people ahead of me in the queue. I guess that says something about the power of this book!
Old 02-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
But it was just a dream, and I did nothing during that time, but somehow it has value.
So, would you want to be kept alive if all you could do was dream?

There's no wrong answer. For me, I think it would be a "no." I don't think I'd find value or purpose in that. But if you do, then your answer would be different. And that's OK.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:38 PM   #18

Staying mindful and living in the "now" is a challenge indeed, but when I focus on it, my life is so, so much richer.

The Power of Now definitely is a great read - but a difficult one.

I also absolutely love "The Untethered Soul". I have listened to it so many times. I have it on Audible. When I find I am getting off balance with what is important in life, I start listening to this book again. It refocuses me onto what is important.

I also have a daily gratitude journal. I write in it every night. Keeps me positive. I have a 5 year journal right now - it's fun looking back at my thoughts from the past few years - and reminds me that time is finite.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Soul > Time > Money
I hope!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:23 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Friday my son and I where at Gore Mountain. He was on race skis and I was on all mountain skis (non high speed Ski). He was racing down the steepest/hardest trails and I was in hot pursuit. Broke my leg and severely dislocated my ankle in the hotel lobby the next morning. So laying here waiting for surgery thinking: Is that the last time that I will every ski like that?
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote