Avoiding Medi-Cal eligibility for children under ACA?

skyline

Recycles dryer sheets
Help! I've spent a fair bit of time trying to figure out how to stay above the MAGI threshold to prevent my kid from qualifying for Medi-Cal, but can't seem to be able to find any concrete rules around how this will work...

I've played around with income levels on coveredca.com's calculator, so I have an idea on the dollar amount that will qualify children for Medi-Cal, but what I can't seem to be able to find is the exact rule. If it's percentage based, it seems to be around 266% of poverty level, but I was hoping to find the rule spelled out so I can confirm that it's not based on any other factors...

On a related note, does anyone else here think it's crazy that ACA is significantly complicating insurance for low-income families by putting adults on a private policy and children in Medi-Cal?

Thanks in advance to anyone that might know what's going on here!

As a follow-up note - in case anyone is wondering why I'm trying to do this: I'm trying to maximize my ACA subsidies w/o losing subsidies to cover my child. Although your income of between 134%-400% MAGI qualifies you for subsidies, you only receive subsidies based on the cost to insure the whole family if your children do not qualify for Medi-Cal. If you have kids that qualify for Medi-Cal, the subsidy gets calculated based on insuring only the adults. At the end of the day it's not a big difference, but like the 400% MAGI cliff, the Medi-Cal eligibility cliff is worth avoiding if you can.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to find. It doesn't make me happy, but it's good to see the exact percentages.

Back
Top Bottom