Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
I had a colonoscopy and requested no sedative. 4 nurses tried to talk me out of it. I declined it anyways. Procedure was not a problem. Definitely will do the same next time.
Me too.

And it's always the nurses that try to talk me out of it. For both my colonoscopy and my endoscopies the nurses seemed to think I was crazy while the docs indicated they though it was fine or even kinda of neat.

I enjoyed watching the monitor - the doc explained it as it progressed. And there was very little discomfort.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Never had a sedative. Even on the day the doctor found my colon cancer, we were looking at it together on the screen.
That said, later, about the operation... 7 hours and 230 stitches later ... It took that long to get thru the stomach muscles and stitch them back up... Couldn't stand up straight for three months.

Then... the good part. The scare made me retire @53.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Ten years ago, during my colonoscopy, I woke up several times. I remember someone telling me to "Breathe!"

I let the docs know this time, and they told me they'd give me a much stronger dose (Versed and Fentanyl). But it seemed to happen again.

Not too painful, but I remember hearing the people in the OR talking. I remember a specific conversation about whether someone should go to the recovery room or some other room.

It wasn't that painful, but I've had dentist visits that hurt less. Perhaps I was hallucinating. It only seemed to take about ten minutes. Maybe I'm someone who tends not to go under all the way?

Threw up on the way home. I never want to have another colonoscopy.

I think there is enough here to write a book about ...
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have one scheduled for the end ... of the month.
Serious tip: Buy one of these (you'll thank me in the end):

https://bluebidet.com/
Old 02-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have enjoyed several colonoscopies with different doctors. They all knocked me out completely and said keeping patients awake was not safe because squirming around on the table can lead to the instruments damaging the colon. They would not do a procedure with the patient awake.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

If I remember correctly, I was given Versed for my cataract surgeries.

First surgery, I came out of it will very little / fuzzy memories of procedure.

Before the second surgery (couple weeks later), nurse said sometimes people are more aware than they were during the first. (She said it more delicately than that.)

While I was on some level sedated (enough that I didn't mind them lancing my eyeball), I heard and later remembered every bit of conversation the doc and nurses had.

"Hey!" I wanted to scream, "stop chit-chatting while you're gouging my eye out!"

PS Thanks for reminding me my colonoscopy is due this summer...
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Since coming home, I've had two ocular migraines (in the midst of the second now). Could be coincidence--this is my third this month.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Was put out. Best 30 minute sleep.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Excellent thread. It confirms/supports my past decisions about colonoscopies.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #30
gone traveling

A go for the lightest sedation I can. I hate narcotics. I had the fentanyl dose cut in half on my recent one.
After colon cancer surgery and chemo, I get to go in every 3 years for a colonoscopy.
Only 8 more to go by my reckoning.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I compare that to my first operation when I was five years old, a tonsillectomy. A pad soaked with ether was forcibly pushed over my nose and mouth, and it smelled so horrible that I screamed and fought as hard as I could until the ether eventually put me under.

Night and day.
Thanks for the reminder, had left and right lateral hernias at age 5. I am having a robotic laparoscopic hernia repair next month. I gag just thinking about ether to this day.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post
It may be less evasive but it's also less effective. When it comes to detecting something as serious cancer I'll opt for more effective.
There is something like 9% of all results are false-positives
erkevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #33
Administrator

I woke up once during a colonoscopy and once during surgery to remove a lipoma. Both times, they were using propofol. I was not distressed or in pain either time, but I knew something wasn't quite right, and I think I spoke both times, whereupon they apparently jacked up the dosage to put me back under.

The worst thing I ever had was a cystoscopy with no anesthesia at all. Holy crap, that hurt!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

My spouse and I both had colonoscopies this week. Just part of doing all those tests that they recommend for us "older" folks. I told the staff before they took me in that the last one I had done years ago, it left me throwing up on the way home. They said they would fix that with a little something 'special' in the anesthesia. Yup, did the trick. One of us had it done on Monday, one today. We told the nurses that it was our Valentine presents to each other. The prep, although better than years ago, is still far from pleasant. But the procedure itself was quick, gave us a really sound nap, and each of us walked out of the hospital with no big side effect.....except for being a little hungry and thirsty.
Momcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Ten years ago, during my colonoscopy, I woke up several times. I remember someone telling me to "Breathe!"

I let the docs know this time, and they told me they'd give me a much stronger dose (Versed and Fentanyl). But it seemed to happen again.

Not too painful, but I remember hearing the people in the OR talking. I remember a specific conversation about whether someone should go to the recovery room or some other room.

It wasn't that painful, but I've had dentist visits that hurt less. Perhaps I was hallucinating. It only seemed to take about ten minutes. Maybe I'm someone who tends not to go under all the way?

Threw up on the way home. I never want to have another colonoscopy.
Would you happen to be a natural red head? People with red hair are known to be resistant to anesthesia for some reason.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #36

Get a doc who uses Propofol. Stuff works wonders.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Thanks for the reminder, had left and right lateral hernias at age 5. I am having a robotic laparoscopic hernia repair next month. I gag just thinking about ether to this day.
I just had the robotic laparoscopic hernia repair last month. There was decent amount of pain the first day, then some pain for a week.
I was cleared to play pickleball/sports after 2 weeks. Just no heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks. After 4 weeks, just a touch of soreness and fine after playing sports.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #38

3 colonoscopies with minimal sedation while watching the procedure on the screen. The 4th one last November was to remove a very large polyp that a few years ago required a colectomy. It was a lengthy colonoscopy that took over 3 hours with minimal sedation also. While it wasn't a painful procedure it was very discomforting especially in the last hour or so.

It was well worth at the end because it saved my colon. Now I have to go back again for another one in April.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
There is something like 9% of all results are false-positives
What I've read is 13% false positives. But much more concerning to me is that Cologuard detects only 42% of precancerous polyps. That's when I want them out, not after they've progressed to a cancerous state. I've had cancer and don't care for any more of it.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #40

From Trombone Al’s description, it sounds like they start the sedation, then his breathing obstructs and he stops breathing, then they stop the sedation and try to arouse him enough to relieve the obstruction and get him breathing. Then he starts breathing and moving around, they try to deepen the sedation so that he’ll stop moving around, he obstructs his breathing again, and the cycle continues. His recollection of someone calling to him to “breathe!” sounds like the scenario. Some people are like that, and it isn’t easy to do sedation on them. Many times, it’s undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnea, but only a sleep study would clarify whether that is the case.

At my GI doctor’s facility, most colonoscopies are performed with sedation provided by a sedation nurse. An anesthesiologist is requested when there are sedation concerns like moderate-to-severe obstructive sleep apnea, severe COPD, need for deep sedation due to excessive patient movement, etc. If there are airways issues during sedation of these at-risk individuals, an anesthesiologist is qualified to handle the airway issues.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote