Bacon under siege!

Wanna get even with the WHO? How about one of these sandwiches!

Silver Palm's - Menus

thumb_600.JPG

This looks surprisingly reminiscent of a cross section of a coronary artery lined by a nasty looking plaque that has eroded and caused a nice occlusive thrombus. Sandwich art imitating life (oh no wait, death!). :LOL:

The bottom line for me is, we are all going to take the long dirt nap sooner or later, so you might as well enjoy the ride as long as you can. I had lunch the other day with a work buddy who is 87, still smokes, has his bourbon every day and is still sharp as a tack.

Bring on the bacon and processed meats.

Why even bother wakening up in the morning if I can't have bacon! I will take my chances. I come from a long line of carnivores. My dad and grandfather were/are meat and potatoes kind of guys. As a matter of fact, Dad and I take one weekend a year and process several hundred pounds of polish, chorizo, pan, and italian sausage. Dad built an awesome smokehouse and it's alot of fun. I believe I will take my chances and enjoy the venison, pork and beef that we use to make some of the tastiest sausage around!

I grow my own pork, cure and smoke the pork bellies myself. I could add carcinogens but I don't. Raise it yourself and you can decide what goes in and what doesn't. And some people say farmers are dumb. Sheeze!

I grow my own pork, cure and smoke the pork bellies myself. I could add carcinogens but I don't. Raise it yourself and you can decide what goes in and what doesn't. And some people say farmers are dumb. Sheeze!

What do you cure it with? AFAIK, it is the nitrates that are the carcinogenic concern. And, AFAIK, most curing involves nitrates (maybe some use only sodium?), even the 'uncured' meats that use some celery derived product.

-ERD50

My parents ate bacon regularly. Dad got colon cancer in his 70s. Mom, currently 86, has not so far. So many factors involved!

That Dietary Cholesterol causes high Blood Cholesterol is not universally accepted... and certainly not proven.

I have taken cholesterol test every 6 months for over a decade now. My personal observation has been that eating meat increases my C-level. E.g, I didn't need C pills at all when I tried all vegetarian diet for a few months.

What do you cure it with? AFAIK, it is the nitrates that are the carcinogenic concern. And, AFAIK, most curing involves nitrates (maybe some use only sodium?), even the 'uncured' meats that use some celery derived product.

-ERD50

That was meant tongue in cheek. And no we don't use sodium in our cure, just really heavy on the salt :facepalm:

-ERD50

That was meant tongue in cheek. And no we don't use sodium in our cure, just really heavy on the salt :facepalm:

Ohhhh. Do you mean like this?

Your Dreams Coming True In The Kitchen: Cured & Smoked Beef Tongue....Not Easily Found In Commerce But Delicious.

I love cured and smoked tongue. In Egypt and most of the other countries I've lived in, I used to find it very easily but now in Greece...can't. So I guess I'll have to do it myself. ...

:)

-ERD50

Prosciutto! Pork and salt - that's it.

Hmmmm, Prosciutto! A little can really dress up a dish. Prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe, or asparagus, or use a piece to line another meat to kick up the flavor. Hmmmm.

I just assumed it was nitrate cured, I'll need to look at the ones I buy. Wiki says it is done both ways, but tradition is just salt and air drying and pressing.

Prosciutto is sometimes cured with nitrites (either sodium or potassium), which are generally used in other hams to produce the desired rosy color and unique flavor, but only sea salt is used in Protected Designation of Origin hams. Such rosy pigmentation is produced by a direct chemical reaction of nitric oxide with myoglobin to form nitrosomyoglobin, followed by concentration of the pigments due to drying. Bacteria convert the added nitrite or nitrate to nitric oxide.

-ERD50

I ate a well done 8-oz steak last night at dinner. I'm doomed! Call the doctor, call the nurse, call the lady with the alligator purse. :LOL:

(BTW, it was utterly divine.... :D )

Hmmmm, Prosciutto! A little can really dress up a dish. Prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe, or asparagus, or use a piece to line another meat to kick up the flavor. Hmmmm.

I just assumed it was nitrate cured, I'll need to look at the ones I buy. Wiki says it is done both ways, but tradition is just salt and air drying and pressing.

-ERD50

Yep. The brand I buy at Costco is just pork, salt.

The additives to many bacon brands has me avoiding it at the moment - often maltodexrrin or caramel coloring, and "spices" or "flavorings" listed without specifying the exact ones.

I finally figured out prosciutto was an option for me right now.

Last edited:
The title gets it wrong, imo. It should read, "Heroin and tobacco are as safe as bacon!" Now that's a headline that'd make me happy. (Not that I'm an opiate user, I just enjoy the glass is half-full and contrary perspectives).

The additives to many bacon brands has me avoiding it at the moment
I'm surprised to hear that. I had no idea such a thing was done. Haven't bought "branded" bacon in probably 20 years -- I get it from an old-fashioned local butcher where they make their own bacon (as well as sausages and lunch meat). Great stuff, and no extraneous "stuff".

I ate a well done 8-oz steak last night at dinner. I'm doomed! Call the doctor, call the nurse, call the lady with the alligator purse. :LOL:

(BTW, it was utterly [-]divine[/-] bovine.... :D )

Fify

Isn't it about time to raise some strong political opinions in this thread so we can get Porky to tie it up? I suspect he would be strongly opposed to the bacon-loving members here.

Back
Top Bottom