Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
b/c of I have high cholesterol.
That Dietary Cholesterol causes high Blood Cholesterol is not universally accepted... and certainly not proven.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents ate bacon regularly. Dad got colon cancer in his 70s. Mom, currently 86, has not so far. So many factors involved!

Old 10-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
That Dietary Cholesterol causes high Blood Cholesterol is not universally accepted... and certainly not proven.
I have taken cholesterol test every 6 months for over a decade now. My personal observation has been that eating meat increases my C-level. E.g, I didn't need C pills at all when I tried all vegetarian diet for a few months.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What do you cure it with? AFAIK, it is the nitrates that are the carcinogenic concern. And, AFAIK, most curing involves nitrates (maybe some use only sodium?), even the 'uncured' meats that use some celery derived product.

-ERD50
That was meant tongue in cheek. And no we don't use sodium in our cure, just really heavy on the salt
Old 10-29-2015, 05:10 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What do you cure it with? AFAIK, it is the nitrates that are the carcinogenic concern. And, AFAIK, most curing involves nitrates (maybe some use only sodium?), even the 'uncured' meats that use some celery derived product.

-ERD50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
That was meant tongue in cheek. And no we don't use sodium in our cure, just really heavy on the salt
Ohhhh. Do you mean like this?

Your Dreams Coming True In The Kitchen: Cured & Smoked Beef Tongue....Not Easily Found In Commerce But Delicious.

Quote:
I love cured and smoked tongue. In Egypt and most of the other countries I've lived in, I used to find it very easily but now in Greece...can't. So I guess I'll have to do it myself. ...

-ERD50
Old 10-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Prosciutto! Pork and salt - that's it.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Prosciutto! Pork and salt - that's it.
Hmmmm, Prosciutto! A little can really dress up a dish. Prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe, or asparagus, or use a piece to line another meat to kick up the flavor. Hmmmm.

I just assumed it was nitrate cured, I'll need to look at the ones I buy. Wiki says it is done both ways, but tradition is just salt and air drying and pressing.

Quote:
Prosciutto is sometimes cured with nitrites (either sodium or potassium), which are generally used in other hams to produce the desired rosy color and unique flavor, but only sea salt is used in Protected Designation of Origin hams. Such rosy pigmentation is produced by a direct chemical reaction of nitric oxide with myoglobin to form nitrosomyoglobin, followed by concentration of the pigments due to drying. Bacteria convert the added nitrite or nitrate to nitric oxide.
-ERD50
Old 10-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #68
Administrator

I ate a well done 8-oz steak last night at dinner. I'm doomed! Call the doctor, call the nurse, call the lady with the alligator purse.

(BTW, it was utterly divine.... )

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I ate a well done 8-oz steak last night at dinner. I'm doomed! Call the doctor, call the nurse, call the lady with the alligator purse.

(BTW, it was utterly divine.... )

You GO, girl! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Old 10-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmmm, Prosciutto! A little can really dress up a dish. Prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe, or asparagus, or use a piece to line another meat to kick up the flavor. Hmmmm.

I just assumed it was nitrate cured, I'll need to look at the ones I buy. Wiki says it is done both ways, but tradition is just salt and air drying and pressing.

-ERD50
Yep. The brand I buy at Costco is just pork, salt.

The additives to many bacon brands has me avoiding it at the moment - often maltodexrrin or caramel coloring, and "spices" or "flavorings" listed without specifying the exact ones.

I finally figured out prosciutto was an option for me right now.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

The title gets it wrong, imo. It should read, "Heroin and tobacco are as safe as bacon!" Now that's a headline that'd make me happy. (Not that I'm an opiate user, I just enjoy the glass is half-full and contrary perspectives).
Old 10-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The additives to many bacon brands has me avoiding it at the moment
I'm surprised to hear that. I had no idea such a thing was done. Haven't bought "branded" bacon in probably 20 years -- I get it from an old-fashioned local butcher where they make their own bacon (as well as sausages and lunch meat). Great stuff, and no extraneous "stuff".
Old 10-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

(BTW, it was utterly divine bovine.... )
Fify

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Fify
Good one! That too. Utterly bovine and so delicious.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Isn't it about time to raise some strong political opinions in this thread so we can get Porky to tie it up? I suspect he would be strongly opposed to the bacon-loving members here.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let me take another tack on this:
About 30 years ago I was visiting a winery in Napa (you've all heard the name).

The owner's daughter was giving a wine tour for us (free wine!) and went on this short speech about how, while the owner didn't smoke, he was dead set against the PC police who were ostracizing smokers.

His take was that first they would go after the smokers, then eating meat would be 'bad' and eventually, drinking wine would be 'bad for you'. (y'know..."alcohol")

That was 30 years ago...now we're at 2 out of 3...maybe he was on to something.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
That was 30 years ago...now we're at 2 out of 3...maybe he was on to something.
Maybe?
Old 10-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

There was a big sale on bacon at the grocery, any connection?
Old 10-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #79

Quote:
I'm doomed too. Succumbed to temptation today and bought 1/2 lb. of that big pepperoni in the deli window. Take a couple slices of that, one of ham, one of turkey breast, and some American cheese on my large salad for late lunch. Mmmmm!
Old 10-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #80
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm doomed too. Succumbed to temptation today and bought 1/2 lb. of that big pepperoni in the deli window. Take a couple slices of that, one of ham, one of turkey breast, and some American cheese on my large salad for late lunch. Mmmmm!
Mmmmm!!! Sounds delicious. Today I'm still eating lightly in an attempt to make up for that delicious steak.

- - H. Melville, 1851