Join Early Retirement Today

Bad Diagnosis for DW
Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bad Diagnosis for DW

DW has been a diabetic for a couple years now. Within those last years I have noticed her having more and more trouble with the symptoms related to diabetis. Tired frequently, thirsty all the time, and recently noticing some sores on her arms that wouldn't heal properly. Today I finally got her to back to her doctor to get that checked out. She has now been diagnosed as having lupus and a MRSA infection. They call it "mersa". All this is new to me. As I understand it, the lupus is a result of an immune defeciency which results from breast cancer. The double mastectomy and removal of lymph nodes reduced her ability to ward off infections. Hence the MRSA. Another thing they asked her was if there was any American Indian in her history. Yep, she's got some Cherokee blood in her past. Some time back she contacted a staph(?) infection and it almost killed her. Now she has to have some blood work to determine which type and how much antibiotics to administer. She might have to go into the hospital for the first batch of super antibiotic injections. I don't know what to expect. All this I got from her and from looking some things up on Google. Naturally, all this happens on a Friday and you have to sit on pins and needles until next week.

Prayers are requested. Thanks.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not religious but, especially having lost a wife to cancer, I'm certainly cheering you both on.......good luck to you, I hope your lady comes through with flying colors.

An old friend, whose wife died of cancer about 3 1/2 years before mine, passed on to me a thought that was passed on to him by someone else who'd been in the same situation......."Always remember, it's not about you it's about her."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I'm not religious but, especially having lost a wife to cancer, I'm certainly cheering you both on.......good luck to you, I hope your lady comes through with flying colors.

An old friend, whose wife died of cancer about 3 1/2 years before mine, passed on to me a thought that was passed on to him by someone else who'd been in the same situation......."Always remember, it's not about you it's about her."
You're right. Our whole family revolves around DW. It's the second marriage for us but I raised the kids with her. They were seven and eight when we married. That was 39 years ago. She's the matriarch of the entire family. Everyone needs her. My job is to make sure she doesn't give up. She's 73 and age is against her.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Johnnie,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope and pray that your DW comes through with flying colors.

It'll be a tough weekend for you both, just waiting.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #5

I just sent you a PM about my experiences with MRSA. Hope she feels better soon.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #6

Ouch. Sorry about DW's troubles. Since I am part Cherokee also, I was curious about this possible relationship between lupus and Cherokee heritage. I found some posts from Cherokee women on a lupus support forum: WeHaveLupus.com
Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #7

Your wife will be in my prayers. I hope she improves rapidly.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to read this. It sounds like she had some very thorough docs and now they'll help move her health forward with careful treatment. May she feel much better in the next few weeks than she has recently.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #9

I am sorry to hear about your wife's medical problems. I will keep both of you in my prayers.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Naturally, all this happens on a Friday and you have to sit on pins and needles until next week.

Prayers are requested. Thanks.
Oh my...I know what waiting is all about Johnnie. Maybe y'all could do something different this weekend and try to get your mind off things.

Once you find out for sure what you're dealing with, that's when you can move forward. The both of you will be in my thoughts....and yes, a prayer will be said.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oh Johnnie, I am so sorry to read that you and your DW are going through this. We are all hoping for the best.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I will add your wife ( and you ) in my daily prayers. There is certainly a lot of illnesses and diseases going around everywhere - it is just overwhelming at times.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #13

Sorry to read this. Take care.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #14
Administrator

Johnnie,

So sorry to hear about your wife's health problems. All the best of luck going forward. Try and be strong for her.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Johnnie,

I'm so sorry you and your wife have this misery to deal with and worry about. Hope she responds to treatment and you have many, many more years together.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

So sorry to hear about your wife's illness .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm so sorry to hear this. She sounds like a remarkable woman to have so many that love and need her. Take extra good care of yourself. She'll need you to be strong.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I am sorry for your trouble Johnnie. Best of fortune to you and your wife.

Ha
Old 08-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Johnnie, I hope for the best of health for your wife. And you take care as well.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Johnnie,
We're all hoping for good news. Let us know what the tests say as soon as possible. Best wishes.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote