Join Early Retirement Today

Baldness linked to heart disease
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Baldness linked to heart disease

Now something else to worry about ( at least for males ). Male pattern baldness linked to heart disease...

BBC News - Male baldness 'indicates heart risk'
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have both the receding and the crown baldness. I'm going to quit buying green bananas.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

It applies only to Japanese (according to the study)
hsv_climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Bald since 17 here, and in the usual "pattern" that they warned about it. I saw it on the news last night. Thanks for nothing, Brian Williams.

The good news is that genetics are otherwise on my side; going back three generations on both sides of the family, I see *no* history of heart attacks or heart disease, and indeed my HDL cholesterol is very high (well into the 60s) and my total cholesterol to HDL is also very good. So maybe that will counteract the baldness problem...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Bald since 17 here, and in the usual "pattern" that they warned about it. I saw it on the news last night. Thanks for nothing, Brian Williams.

The good news is that genetics are otherwise on my side; going back three generations on both sides of the family, I see *no* history of heart attacks or heart disease, and indeed my HDL cholesterol is very high (well into the 60s) and my total cholesterol to HDL is also very good. So maybe that will counteract the baldness problem...
Ziggy, we must be twins separated at birth. Oh wait, you are 3 years younger than me. Nevermind (unless your parents lied about your age!)

Yeah, I suffered baldness starting in high school. Talking about building character! Then, right when I was getting married over 20 years ago, these reports started surfacing. This is old, old news.

My family DOES have history, so I'm paying a load of attention to it. The good news is the men in my family with issues have had low HDL and high triglycs. I have high HDL and low trig. I just hope that my other family side -- the side who ate nothing but bread and lard and lived past 90 (not kidding) is in my genes.

Other than that, just doing my best. Went swimming this morning. Skipped the cookie at lunch, etc., etc.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Glad they didn't discover this during the underwriting days of health insurance. After I checked yes to receding hairline my application would have been rejected.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #7

Maybe it's related to exactly where the hair is or isn't.
My grandfather had a good friend who was a cardiac surgeon. He said that over a lifetime of working on people's hearts, he had never operated on a man with little or no chest hair.

Of course, what he meant by "little or no" is unknown, and I assume he meant before the chest was shaved to prepare for surgery, but I thought it was an interesting comment.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister
Maybe it's related to exactly where the hair is or isn't.
My grandfather had a good friend who was a cardiac surgeon. He said that over a lifetime of working on people's hearts, he had never operated on a man with little or no chest hair.

Of course, what he meant by "little or no" is unknown, and I assume he meant before the chest was shaved to prepare for surgery, but I thought it was an interesting comment.
Good, maybe my hair situation cancels the problem out.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #9

As a member of the Follicly Challenged Brigade I should be concerned I suppose but frankly I'm much more worried about liver failure... ;o)
Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I'm 56 years old. I have a full head of hair, and quite a bit of chest hair.....and I have heart disease and had a triple bypass at 45 years old.

As best as I can tell from old pictures, all of my male ancestors had full heads of hair, and all of them died of strokes or heart attacks.

Soooo, my experience is NOT consistent with that study.
trapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #11

In other news, men with front baldness/receding hairlines are good thinkers. Men who have thinning crowns are good lovers. Men like me, whose hairline is midway down the back of their head "think that they are good lovers"...

R
Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #12

My grandfather (who I greatly resemble) was totally bald and died at age 98 from a broken hip from a fall - not from problems with his heart.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
In other news, men with front baldness/receding hairlines are good thinkers. Men who have thinning crowns are good lovers. Men like me, whose hairline is midway down the back of their head "think that they are good lovers"...

R
What about totally bald men with facial hair ?
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Totally bald is hot unless the man is really heavy, with rolls around the neck and back of head.

Bald with a beard is...well, let's just say it's trying to replace the hair on top with hair in the wrong place, and the wrong kind of hair in most cases...

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
What about totally bald men with facial hair ?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Totally bald is hot unless the man is really heavy, with rolls around the neck and back of head.

Bald with a beard is...well, let's just say it's trying to replace the hair on top with hair in the wrong place, and the wrong kind of hair in most cases...

A.
LoL
Ok I get it, women don't like facial hair. Lucky I'm a slim 75 kgs
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #16

I have a full head of hair, with minimal thinning at age 60, and had a major heart attack at 51. This article is a croc of stuff.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #17

That reminds me, I need to get a haircut.

If I don't have a heart attack that only means I'll die from something else.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
My grandfather (who I greatly resemble) was totally bald and died at age 98 from a broken hip from a fall - not from problems with his heart.
Might have been heart trouble. Did he fall off a ladder trying to make his exit when the neighbor lady's husband came home?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Now something else to worry about ( at least for males ). Male pattern baldness linked to heart disease...

BBC News - Male baldness 'indicates heart risk'
Quote:
However, a receding hairline did not seem to affect the risk.
My hairline is not receding; my brain is just getting bigger! All I need in a Klingon cranial ridge...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #20
gone traveling

I heard about this more than 20 years ago in some other study and I didn't believe it then either. I had a great grandfather that was about 90% bald when he died at 102 and a grandfather who was totally bald when he died at 88. I have crown baldness myself and none of us had (or have in my case) any heart problems.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote