Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnckpa View Post
Martha, you can fix this. Start by taking the dog out with you while you use an air pistol. Progress to .22's at about 100 yards or so while the other of you is playing with the dog. When the dog doesn't stop playing if the .22 cracks then use a slightly larger caliber every3rd or 4th shot. When he doesn't jump at the larger caliber you can progress to all shots from that gun. Then start sitting down with the dog at 75 yards, then 50 yards, then 25 yards, and finally just behind the shooting line. The dog lays next to you and is getting stroked continuously while shooting takes place. Pay lots of attention to the dog. He learns that you aren't going to let anything happen to him and becomes comfortable with the sound of the rifles. Anytime you increase caliber, or say you go to a shotgun, back off the distance again and work your way in. Shooting weekly this would take less than two months to acclimate your friend to the noise.
I saw one guy bring his dog to an outside gun range.
Doesn't the loudness of the gunshots hurt the dog's ears?
__________________

__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
LeatherneckPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Williamsport
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
but lately, i enjoy pellet guns the most! i can shoot them in my backyard, and within 45 yards, im deadly! theyre quiet, reallllllly cheap ammo, and the guns are cheap too. I bought a competition-grade rifle for 250 or so.
Now there's an idea I hadn't considered lately! Although I do have an old Crossman pump pellet pistol. I even own a set of the pellet gun silhouettes from IHMSA. Those can be QUITE challenging. Used to set them up on sawhorses in the backyard for DD to shoot at. She became quite good.
__________________

__________________
"Iron" Mike - Semper Fi
Jack of all trades; Master of none.
LeatherneckPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Well, Back in the '90s...
Old 09-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
MikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 805
Well, Back in the '90s...

I do not kill things with my guns. I like shooting for the same reason I like fireworks: Wreckin' Stuff. I think it's a juvenile thing. I went with it.

I have a few machine guns that I used to take to organized machine gun shoots down south. I especially like shooting dynamite duct-taped to cars.

I don't do it so much any more.

The first picture is of me in Arkansas standing next to a pile of evidence of a good time. The second is what my wife and I did to an old K-car at a shoot.

All my hobbies are legal and often involve FBI investigations and ATF approvals.

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brasspile.jpg (95.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg mcar.jpg (43.5 KB, 59 views)
__________________
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnckpa View Post
Martha, you can fix this. Start by taking the dog out with you while you use an air pistol. Progress to .22's at about 100 yards or so while the other of you is playing with the dog. When the dog doesn't stop playing if the .22 cracks then use a slightly larger caliber every3rd or 4th shot. When he doesn't jump at the larger caliber you can progress to all shots from that gun. Then start sitting down with the dog at 75 yards, then 50 yards, then 25 yards, and finally just behind the shooting line. The dog lays next to you and is getting stroked continuously while shooting takes place. Pay lots of attention to the dog. He learns that you aren't going to let anything happen to him and becomes comfortable with the sound of the rifles. Anytime you increase caliber, or say you go to a shotgun, back off the distance again and work your way in. Shooting weekly this would take less than two months to acclimate your friend to the noise.
Well, she is an old bitch now, so I don't know if it will work. Funny thing, the problem started when Greg killed a nuisance squirrel with a pellet gun in front of the dog. Ever since she witnessed the event she has been really frightened of gun shots of any sort. Firecrackers too.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Funny thing, the problem started when Greg killed a nuisance squirrel with a pellet gun in front of the dog. Ever since she witnessed the event she has been really frightened of gun shots of any sort. Firecrackers too.
Cause, effect. Smart dog!
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
but lately, i enjoy pellet guns the most! i can shoot them in my backyard, and within 45 yards, im deadly! theyre quiet, reallllllly cheap ammo, and the guns are cheap too. I bought a competition-grade rifle for 250 or so.
I'd love to shoot pellet guns again. But I live in a state that basically regulates them as firearms, I've nowhere to shoot, I have small children in the house and a gun-shy wife... Some day.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:27 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
packrat44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: near Canadian border and near Mexican border
Posts: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I do not kill things with my guns. I like shooting for the same reason I like fireworks: Wreckin' Stuff. I think it's a juvenile thing. I went with it.

I have a few machine guns that I used to take to organized machine gun shoots down south. I especially like shooting dynamite duct-taped to cars.

I don't do it so much any more.

The first picture is of me in Arkansas standing next to a pile of evidence of a good time. The second is what my wife and I did to an old K-car at a shoot.

All my hobbies are legal and often involve FBI investigations and ATF approvals.

Mike D.
Hey Mike, with a little Bondo she will be just like new.

They used to have shoots close by in the Idaho panhandle where the single shot 50 cal guys used to place dynamite at long range. It took the guess work out and eliminated the BS whether you did or did not bring your round on target. Great fun for spectators too.
__________________
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
packrat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 359
A few years ago a friend brought me to an organized "machine gun shoot". Quite entertaining. I wasn't aware of anybody shooting at dynamite, at the shoot I went to they were shooting at blocks of a substance called "tannerite", which produced a nice flash and loud report when struck by bullets.

All I'd say is, enjoy your hobby while its still legal. I suspect that the next election cycle won't yield good news for those in the shooting sports.
__________________
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
LeatherneckPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Williamsport
Posts: 489
FinanceGeek, they offer smaller exploding targets on the internet. I have shot the ones with 1" dot and they are great fun for the unsuspecting.
__________________
"Iron" Mike - Semper Fi
Jack of all trades; Master of none.
LeatherneckPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
lazygood4nothinbum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,895
oh this isn't at all what i thought it would be
__________________
"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Thanks - It make me feel happy.
__________________

__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
not with a bang but a whimper tozz Young Dreamers 18 10-04-2005 06:25 PM
Going out with a bang Hiss Other topics 16 02-15-2004 04:51 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.