Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnckpa View Post
Martha, you can fix this. Start by taking the dog out with you while you use an air pistol. Progress to .22's at about 100 yards or so while the other of you is playing with the dog. When the dog doesn't stop playing if the .22 cracks then use a slightly larger caliber every3rd or 4th shot. When he doesn't jump at the larger caliber you can progress to all shots from that gun. Then start sitting down with the dog at 75 yards, then 50 yards, then 25 yards, and finally just behind the shooting line. The dog lays next to you and is getting stroked continuously while shooting takes place. Pay lots of attention to the dog. He learns that you aren't going to let anything happen to him and becomes comfortable with the sound of the rifles. Anytime you increase caliber, or say you go to a shotgun, back off the distance again and work your way in. Shooting weekly this would take less than two months to acclimate your friend to the noise.
I saw one guy bring his dog to an outside gun range.
Doesn't the loudness of the gunshots hurt the dog's ears?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
but lately, i enjoy pellet guns the most! i can shoot them in my backyard, and within 45 yards, im deadly! theyre quiet, reallllllly cheap ammo, and the guns are cheap too. I bought a competition-grade rifle for 250 or so.
Now there's an idea I hadn't considered lately! Although I do have an old Crossman pump pellet pistol. I even own a set of the pellet gun silhouettes from IHMSA. Those can be QUITE challenging. Used to set them up on sawhorses in the backyard for DD to shoot at. She became quite good.

Well, Back in the '90s...
Old 09-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, Back in the '90s...

I do not kill things with my guns. I like shooting for the same reason I like fireworks: Wreckin' Stuff. I think it's a juvenile thing. I went with it.

I have a few machine guns that I used to take to organized machine gun shoots down south. I especially like shooting dynamite duct-taped to cars.

I don't do it so much any more.

The first picture is of me in Arkansas standing next to a pile of evidence of a good time. The second is what my wife and I did to an old K-car at a shoot.

All my hobbies are legal and often involve FBI investigations and ATF approvals.

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brasspile.jpg (95.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg mcar.jpg (43.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnckpa View Post
Martha, you can fix this. Start by taking the dog out with you while you use an air pistol. Progress to .22's at about 100 yards or so while the other of you is playing with the dog. When the dog doesn't stop playing if the .22 cracks then use a slightly larger caliber every3rd or 4th shot. When he doesn't jump at the larger caliber you can progress to all shots from that gun. Then start sitting down with the dog at 75 yards, then 50 yards, then 25 yards, and finally just behind the shooting line. The dog lays next to you and is getting stroked continuously while shooting takes place. Pay lots of attention to the dog. He learns that you aren't going to let anything happen to him and becomes comfortable with the sound of the rifles. Anytime you increase caliber, or say you go to a shotgun, back off the distance again and work your way in. Shooting weekly this would take less than two months to acclimate your friend to the noise.
Well, she is an old bitch now, so I don't know if it will work. Funny thing, the problem started when Greg killed a nuisance squirrel with a pellet gun in front of the dog. Ever since she witnessed the event she has been really frightened of gun shots of any sort. Firecrackers too.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Funny thing, the problem started when Greg killed a nuisance squirrel with a pellet gun in front of the dog. Ever since she witnessed the event she has been really frightened of gun shots of any sort. Firecrackers too.
Cause, effect. Smart dog!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
but lately, i enjoy pellet guns the most! i can shoot them in my backyard, and within 45 yards, im deadly! theyre quiet, reallllllly cheap ammo, and the guns are cheap too. I bought a competition-grade rifle for 250 or so.
I'd love to shoot pellet guns again. But I live in a state that basically regulates them as firearms, I've nowhere to shoot, I have small children in the house and a gun-shy wife... Some day.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:27 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I do not kill things with my guns. I like shooting for the same reason I like fireworks: Wreckin' Stuff. I think it's a juvenile thing. I went with it.

I have a few machine guns that I used to take to organized machine gun shoots down south. I especially like shooting dynamite duct-taped to cars.

I don't do it so much any more.

The first picture is of me in Arkansas standing next to a pile of evidence of a good time. The second is what my wife and I did to an old K-car at a shoot.

All my hobbies are legal and often involve FBI investigations and ATF approvals.

Mike D.
Hey Mike, with a little Bondo she will be just like new.

They used to have shoots close by in the Idaho panhandle where the single shot 50 cal guys used to place dynamite at long range. It took the guess work out and eliminated the BS whether you did or did not bring your round on target. Great fun for spectators too.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

A few years ago a friend brought me to an organized "machine gun shoot". Quite entertaining. I wasn't aware of anybody shooting at dynamite, at the shoot I went to they were shooting at blocks of a substance called "tannerite", which produced a nice flash and loud report when struck by bullets.

All I'd say is, enjoy your hobby while its still legal. I suspect that the next election cycle won't yield good news for those in the shooting sports.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

FinanceGeek, they offer smaller exploding targets on the internet. I have shot the ones with 1" dot and they are great fun for the unsuspecting.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

oh this isn't at all what i thought it would be

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Thanks - It make me feel happy.