Join Early Retirement Today

BBC - Early retirement 'is good for us', research shows
Old 11-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

BBC - Early retirement 'is good for us', research shows

BBC News - Early retirement 'is good for us', research shows

Amusingly, they also quote a study that says full retirees die quickly or acquire diseases immediately after retirement.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Amusingly, they also quote a study that says full retirees die quickly or acquire diseases immediately after retirement.
Without a full picture of the retiree's willingness & readiness to retire, let alone their finances, it seems difficult to make blanket statements about survivability.

Having said that, Poland seems to be on to something...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, in all countries that are listed, the actual retirement age for women is lower than for men, although the official retirement age is always the same.

Yet, we all know women live longer than men, probably in nearly all countries. Is that fair?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hey, in all countries that are listed, the actual retirement age for women is lower than for men, although the official retirement age is always the same.

Yet, we all know women live longer than men, probably in nearly all countries. Is that fair?
Now, now, NW-Bound. I'm sure you must know by now that life isn't fair. . Besides, men don't have to go through labor and delivery so it all evens out.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Some men had to deliver big kidney stones. Does that not count?

PS. My wife got to ER before me. It's OK with me.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Administrator

My baby was 9.5 pounds. When you deliver a 9.5 pound kidney stone, that will count.

From your previous posts I think you could completely ER right now if you wanted to, but maybe you just aren't quite ready yet. Nothing wrong with that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well done W2R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My baby was 9.5 pounds. When you deliver a 9.5 pound kidney stone, that will count.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Surprise-surprise; the article seems to contradict the title for the most part. Publishers love to hook us with titles...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

From your previous posts I think you could completely ER right now if you wanted to, but maybe you just aren't quite ready yet. Nothing wrong with that.
Eh? Kidney stones and babies do not travel through the same path. On the other hand, to be fair, carrying a fetus in your tummy for several months is no fun.

But would you know, our first born was of the same size, and I was with my wife through her labor. When I took my baby girl home from the hospital, she looked like a mature month-old baby. Yet, my wife's delivery of our smaller 2nd child was much worse than that first one, and we had to ask for some epidural. Just joking about whose pain is worse, even though I doubt if many, men or women, could endure my 2 weeks of pain without begging for some pain killer.

Back to the OP, looking at the earlier retirement age for women vs. men, is it surprising to any of us that that is true? Men are still considered the breadwinner, and are generally expected to work longer.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:03 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I am impressed with your achievment. Still, I think we might have to compare the size of the vagina against the urethra before we can decide which hurts more.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well I am impressed with your achievment. Still, I think we might have to compare the size of the vagina against the urethra before we can decide which hurts more.
Yeah, and you don't really get the advantage of all those hormones that relax the birth canal tissues at childbirth. Still, childbirth is an amazing thing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #12

Quote:

Maybe this is a bit gross/rude/improper, but.......shouldn´t we take into account the dimensions of the exits in each case?

PS. I am one of many men that thinks that childbirth IS VERY VERY PAINFUL.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Besides, men don't have to go through labor and delivery
Neither do women.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Neither do women.
That's why I decided when I was 12 that I would never do such a thing.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I just learned that the fear of childbirth is called tokophobia. It is said that 1 in 7 women has it.

From a Web site:
Dame Helen Mirren admitted to suffering from the same fear. The Oscar-winning actress revealed her deeply held fear on an Australian television show, blaming a graphic video of childbirth shown to her as a 13-year-old schoolgirl for her childlessness ever since.
"'I swear it traumatised me to this day," she said. "I haven't had children and now I can't look at anything to do with childbirth. It absolutely disgusts me."
Old 11-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just learned that the fear of childbirth is called tokophobia. It is said that 1 in 7 women has it.

From a Web site:
Dame Helen Mirren admitted to suffering from the same fear. The Oscar-winning actress revealed her deeply held fear on an Australian television show, blaming a graphic video of childbirth shown to her as a 13-year-old schoolgirl for her childlessness ever since.
"'I swear it traumatised me to this day," she said. "I haven't had children and now I can't look at anything to do with childbirth. It absolutely disgusts me."
And wonderful that nowadays we can do something about it.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Early Retirement, Seventeen Years Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
BBC News - Early retirement 'is good for us', research shows

I went into full retirement at age 53 in 1993. Now, 17+ years later, both my physical and fiscal health continue to be good. Early retirement has certainly been generally good for me. My single example does not prove the study wrong of course. The 17 years have been severely damaged by the loss of people I loved. They would not want their deaths to ruin the rest of my life, though they understood the necessity of mourning.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #18

The article was very disappointing! It didn't say much about anything!