Join Early Retirement Today

Bedtime Night Guard
Old 06-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bedtime Night Guard

After some resistance, I gave in and pledged my loyalty to my dentist, and got a custom night guard made to wear at night to prevent wear on my teeth.

Just got the night guard today.

Cleaning instructions just say to use soap (dishwashing soap is fine) and water. I never had a night guard before but did have a retainer during the wait for an implant.

The guard looks pretty cool all new and clear. But like a retainer, should I expect to see cloudy deposits after some months of use?

I hope not as that was a part of the "eeew factor" which had me wanting to resist in the first place.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I rinse mine thoroughly every morning and periodically soak it in denture cleaner (dentist recommended that). It does discolor, but no yucky deposits if you keep it clean. I think the cleaner I used is StainAway.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if the material of your night guard is different than mine. For mine directions said to not use denture cleaner, just soap and warm water. I don't mind discoloration as long as no yucky deposits.

Now has me wondering, since the night guard is only worn on top, why did the dentist also do an impression on my bottom teeth.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I wonder if the material of your night guard is different than mine. For mine directions said to not use denture cleaner, just soap and warm water. I don't mind discoloration as long as no yucky deposits.

Now has me wondering, since the night guard is only worn on top, why did the dentist also do an impression on my bottom teeth.
Many call for different care, read and follow your instructions.

I thought they always did a upper and lower mold. I recall once the dentist said it was an upper and the lab added a lower "slider". They had to have my lower impression to do that.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an upper. Was told only to use soap & water with a soft denture brush daily, which they gave me. And to keep in water with a little mouthwash added.
texcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcurtis View Post
I have an upper. Was told only to use soap & water with a soft denture brush daily, which they gave me. And to keep in water with a little mouthwash added.
My one says to not use any denture cleaner or mouthwash and to keep dry after washing with soap and water only.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the science on this is still being developed, not the actual need for it but the best care and maintenance of it.

One bit of advice. If you find yourself wearing through these suckers faster than you think you should, and especially if that wear starts out as pinholes, consider a top and bottom guard for your replacement. I was wearing through my top only guard every few years for the last 15. I'm only two years into this latest set of guards, which is a top and bottom set, and other than a hairline crack there is very little wear on the guards themselves.

As you can well imagine if you wearing these guards due to bruxism your sharp bottom teeth are going to grind down the top only guard. With the top and bottom guard it's smooth rubbing against smooth.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

It's been years ago, but I brushed mine with toothpaste, then rinsed with water after each use. Mine was opaque so never noticed any color change or clouding. I also recall that it took some getting used to comfort wise.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #9

my night guard product says no denture cleaner, to use OTC guard cleaner available at the drug store. I need to do that every other use, as I'm too lazy to do every day but they get too gross to go more than that.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have an upper. Use a denture cleaner in the am, but do not let it soak. I take it out as soon as the bubbles disappear, rinse and air dry. No discoloring so far.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #11

Since I'm a grinder, I've worn an upper for at least 20 years now, if not more. They last a long time; I honestly think I'm only on my second one. So the initial expense was well worth it since it has saved my teeth. I wear it every night. I brush it with toothpaste to clean each day. It does get discolored over time from some deposits, so I bring it to the dentist twice a year on my teeth cleaning day and they clean it in their machine. Comes out looking like new.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I got no instructions with mine so just use warm water and tooth brush before and after. Let it sit dry during the day. A bit yucky looking, but never had any issues with it. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm considered a heavy grinder. If it weren't for the appliances I'd have no teeth. Worn them nightly since ~1980.

I used to eat appliances every 2 years, not the cheap ones the $400-$800 dentist variety.

My data was used in a test of a different type of appliance, harder and "virtually indestructible". Instead of eating a hole through it I split it lengthwise around the horseshoe. It looked good it was just spilt in half.

I do believe my grinding is less after retirement! Actually much less according to my jaw. I have a year on my last appliance from my old dentist, hopefully it lasts another year or more.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #14

I'm a grinder and wear nothing to sleep. I still have all my teeth except one.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I'm a grinder and wear nothing to sleep. I still have all my teeth except one.
I'm a grinder and in spite of wearing a mouthguard to sleep for 35+ years, I've worn my front teeth at an angle such that the the tips of my teeth are thin and recently a corner broke off on a front tooth. So, it isn't necessarily a matter of the tooth falling out, it is damage where the uppers and lowers meet.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #16

And age definitely matters. I didn't wear a guard for many years and had no problems. It's cumulative.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm a grinder and in spite of wearing a mouthguard to sleep for 35+ years, I've worn my front teeth at an angle such that the the tips of my teeth are thin and recently a corner broke off on a front tooth. So, it isn't necessarily a matter of the tooth falling out, it is damage where the uppers and lowers meet.
I have small chip in the left front corner. Very slight chip on the lower left, not enough to be a bother. I'm not sure I want to wear a guard. My husband wore a guard for many years and now he doesn't. I think it pulls his teeth so much that he prefers to sleep without.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:52 AM   #18

Has anyone bought one on Amazon instead of dentist. My dental insurance does not cover, $450 and what if I hate it? I've recently found I have headaches when I wake up. No tooth damage so far, but I'm pretty sure I grind at night. Safe to try an over the counter first?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Has anyone bought one on Amazon instead of dentist. My dental insurance does not cover, $450 and what if I hate it? I've recently found I have headaches when I wake up. No tooth damage so far, but I'm pretty sure I grind at night. Safe to try an over the counter first?
I haven't but I know people who did. Go ahead, it's probably not as comfortable as the $450 model but a good way to see if it helps you.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I haven't but I know people who did. Go ahead, it's probably not as comfortable as the $450 model but a good way to see if it helps you.
Few years ago, I spent $300 and my dentist made one for me (for upper teeth). It was a tight fit. But, since I did not wear it every night and my teeth started to shift, it becomes painful to wear.

Few months ago, I bought one box from Amazon: Wunderdent, Made in Germany for maybe $20 dollars. It comes with 4 sets (2 larger and 2 smaller size). I used their instruction and molded one for my upper teeth. It is kind of loose but I can now wear it every night without pain. I first worried that I might swallow it or it might fall out, but it hasn't happened yet. I will keep using it or make a new one when this one becomes too loose.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote