Join Early Retirement Today

BEER
Old 08-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BEER

Aw yes I am gluten free. Diagnosed a celiac 20 years ago. Finally a few years back gluten free beer introduced. Yuck. Now I find out that Coors Light and Corona Extra is so low in gluten that it actually lower parts per million than gluten free beer. Well, the purists say no to that because the aforementioned beers are still made with barley. Somehow though the gluten is extracted from the barley in some kind of process. So I go to my GI doctor and he looks it up and says well you still have limited damage in your intestines and you should go for it. Nothing like the taste again of real beer. Stay thirsty my friends.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Aw yes I am gluten free. Diagnosed a celiac 20 years ago. Finally a few years back gluten free beer introduced. Yuck. Now I find out that Coors Light and Corona Extra is so low in gluten that it actually lower parts per million than gluten free beer. Well, the purists say no to that because the aforementioned beers are still made with barley. Somehow though the gluten is extracted from the barley in some kind of process. So I go to my GI doctor and he looks it up and says well you still have limited damage in your intestines and you should go for it. Nothing like the taste again of real beer. Stay thirsty my friends.
I tried a couple of gluten free beers brewed in Belgium, and they weren't bad at all. I figured if anyone knew how to make them taste good the Belgians would.

But now I'm off barley/malt for six months, and this includes caramel food coloring which cuts out a lot of food including many beverages like cider that otherwise state gluten free.

Apparently I have a moderate intolerance for barley, so staying off it for six months may get me past that.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, decent gluten free beers are hard to find. And, when it tastes bad, it's really bad.

A couple of beers I really like are Omission (out of Oregon. It has less than 20ppm of gluten which is the standard for gluten free beer). They make a nice lager, pale ale, and IPA. If you want a truly GF beer, look for Gutenberg. Pricey, but really good.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

White Labs recently introduced something that removes gluten from beer. A lot of San Diego breweries are trying it out. There should be a lot more quality gluten free beers very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ripper, I am so glad you have found a beer that your body can tolerate, and that you like.

As for me, I stopped drinking alcoholic beverages entirely many years ago due to both the cost, and due to watching my weight. Oddly, I don't miss drinking at all - - so for me, that was the right choice.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

isn't Budweiser made with rice? may want to try bud light

I've got a 4% alch saison on tap right now - very tasty in the heat
Old 08-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

OP, with a thread title of "beer", there is no need to capitalize the title to get our attention.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
OP, with a thread title of "beer", there is no need to capitalize the title to get our attention.
Yes, it could have been written as beer and been noticed
Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

With beer all capitalized, I thought it was an acronym.

Something like "Benefit Estimate Earning Record".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
isn't Budweiser made with rice?
No, there is some rice used in the process, but mainly barley like most beers.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post
White Labs recently introduced something that removes gluten from beer. A lot of San Diego breweries are trying it out. There should be a lot more quality gluten free beers very soon.

Here's the link:

WLN4000 Clarity Ferm/Brewers Clarex | White Labs

It was introduced years ago to help break down the proteins that can make beer hazy when chilled, and they later found it also broke down gluten. Two Brothers Brewery has made a beer this way for years, and is now promoting it's low gluten content. So it is their regular, great tasting beer, not something specifically brewed to be low gluten, that was a by-product of the process.

Quote:
In addition to eliminating chill haze, Clarity Ferm significantly reduces the gluten content in beers made with barley and wheat. A Clarity-Ferm treated beer made from barley or wheat usually tests below 20 ppm of gluten, the current international standard for gluten free. White Labs offers gluten testing for beers, this test will allow brewers to know the gluten level of the beers it produces, but brewers are not allowed to use this value on their labels until the FDA completes its validation.

The TTB has issued interim labeling guidelines for beers made with gluten containing grains, and it states:

"TTB will allow use of the statement 'Processed or Treated or Crafted to remove gluten,' together with a qualifying statement to inform consumers that: (1) the product was made from a grain that contains gluten; (2) there is currently no valid test to verify the gluten content of fermented products; and (3) the finished product may contain gluten."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
A couple of beers I really like are Omission (out of Oregon. It has less than 20ppm of gluten which is the standard for gluten free beer). ...
Omission uses the White Labs product as well.

Quote:
How is the gluten removed from Omission beer?

Omission beers are brewed just like other great craft beers, with malted barley, hops, water, and yeast. Once the beers are ready for the fermentation tanks, we add a brewing enzyme called Brewers Clarex™ which breaks apart and detoxifies the gluten protein chains.

Omission beers are brewed with only barley malt, hops, water and yeast.
And from Two Brothers:

Quote:
What made you start using this enzyme?

We have been focusing on chill haze in the finished product for a while now. Chill haze is when the beer gets cloudy at cold temperatures and clears up as the beer warms up. It occurs when certain protein molecules bond together in cold conditions and release from each other as conditions warm up. We have tried a few different products, called “fining agents”, to try prevent the formation of chill haze. One very popular product is an electrically charged, inert, plastic. It tends to work very well. However, using a product like plastic in our beer, even if it is fully filtered out before packaging, does not fit with our business philosophy. Also, there are some animal derived products but again we do not want to use them and are proud to brew vegan friendly beers. So, we have been trying other, natural, plant derived products to get the job done. We found one that we liked best that denatures the specific protein molecule to the point where the protein can no longer bond together in cold conditions.

How did you find out what else the enzyme was doing in the beer?

... In our discussions with a couple labs about the enzyme and its usage, they mentioned it also was denaturing gluten in there research. So, we had Prairie Path tested for gluten and were excited about the results.

... We also asked a few of our gluten intolerant friends to “take one for the team” and drink a few beers for us. We have been very cautious about publishing this because we wanted all the information first. Our gluten intolerant friends had no negative reaction and said things like “this is life changing” and “I can finally drink a beer that tastes like beer”.
It's beer. Not a non-barley beer. They taste great (most non-barley beers aren't so great).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #12

You cannot drink Corona and have hope become the most interesting man in the world...but
it might work if the girl you are with drinks a bunch of it!
Old 08-17-2015, 10:07 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
If you ever make it to Seattle give this place a shot. It's good and all GF.

Ghostfish Brewing Company | Legendary Gluten-Free Beer
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #14

A while back, when I learned my BIL had an autoimmune issue, I suggested going gluten free, but beer got in the way. He drinks Bud Light. So I researched it, and found that in informal testing by some guy, Bud Light from Europe scored under 20ppm and Bud Light scored above, but not by much. My advice to my BIL is go on a GF + BL diet and see what happens.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #15

I have been brewing various beers and ales for my DW, who was diagnosed w/celiac in 1983. I use the Clarity Ferm product and it's sister product Gluten Ninja and it has been a godsend for her. I can brew just about anything under the sun but I do stay away from wheat beers. The FDA's rules are the only thing that prevents a full fledged approval because there is still so many parts/million so it's not totally gluten free.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Diagnosed with celiac two years ago. One of my first thoughts was " no beer 😔". I don't drink a lot of beer, but enjoy a nice cold beer after a long hike, bike ride or while watching the Seahawk games.
I've tried GF beers and decided they don't cut it (even the ones mentioned on this thread).
I'll be trying Corona Extra after my next hike/ride 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum