Best Approach for HI Search

oliverdickens

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,

Just looking for advice on best approach to find affordable health insurance.

Here is my situation:

I am 55 and DW is 58. We retired 20 months ago, house is paid for and we are currently covered by COBRA at $602 per month for both of us. We are in good shape but insurance companies pick at anything.

After COBRA, I can get group coverage as retireree from previous employer, but coverage is not that great and will cost about $725/month for both of us.

Here is the question: Is there any peril in applying for health insurance on website linked from this forum just to see if we can get accepted and at what cost. What are the downsides of doing that given my situation sinced I can get insurance after COBRA.

I ask as I have heard that if one applies and is denied, that can cause difficulty.

Appreciate any insights as I would like to see if we can get it cheaper.

Thanks

Might be a good idea to see if you can locate an independent agent who can prequalify you by running your situation through a number of companies. I've heard this can be done without formal application so that if you do run into problems (get denied, have exclusions, etc.) it won't show up if you decide to apply for insurance elsewhere.

Hi,
Here is the question: Is there any peril in applying for health insurance on website linked from this forum just to see if we can get accepted and at what cost. What are the downsides of doing that given my situation sinced I can get insurance after COBRA.

Have wondered the same thing myself... it seems too easy.

Best approach for HI Search

Hello,

I went directly from HI from my previous employer to independent insurance (now have a high deductible plan / HSA) back in Feb. For me, I went to sites like www.ehealthinsurance.com to get an idea of what was out there. But when I was ready, I worked with an independent insurance agent. You can find a local agent at http://www.nahu.org/. It doesn't cost anymore to use an agent then if you were to go it alone. Additionally, there's a good book out there called "The New Health Insurance Solution" by Paul Zane Pilzer that is about how to get individual coverage without your employer. One other thing worth mentioning, if you haven't already, you might want to get a copy of your medical records so you'd have that all ready when filling out the application and could refer to if needed during the underwriting process. Best of luck to you!

Yes, find an independent health insurance agent. I found the expertise invaluable. They can pre-screen you by calling the insurance companies with your medical histories and find out if you would be accepted or not and what would be excluded, without going through the process and possibly getting denied. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom