Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I wrote out a whole reply and was about to post it, when I realized the subject of the thread was "Best Whole Bean Coffee". Being the contemptible individual that I am, I have settled on a cheap brand that comes pre-ground, so I will not be posting my reply in this thread.

Feel free to add me to your "ignore" lists
My SBUX coffee gets ground while I am there. If stored carefully, I can not notice a degradation in taste. I used to grind my coffee each morning, but got over that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I came across something called "Bulletproof Coffee" today. Need to research more, but has anyone tried it?

Wild Irish Rogue

Old 12-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Do you have a 'Cost Plus World Market' near you? I just picked up a Moka (Yemen)-Java(nese) blend. 12 Oz bag, ~ $6-$8 I think. Costco had some I'd like to try, but I don't want to buy that much, not knowing. I like that World Market had 12 oz sizes at reasonable prices. Trader Joes has some whole bean, but they seem high $.

World Market had a decent selection of regular whole bean, I just had to skip over all the flavored ones (I like my coffee black, no flavoring, no sugar).

I'm not very knowledgeable with coffee, but I do appreciate a good cup, medium roast mostly, and I thought this was pretty good. I plan to try some of their others.

-ERD50
Old 12-08-2015, 11:55 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I do not drink coffee.... but DW does... she loves the coffee from Kuai...

You can buy online and have it shipped... I have to buy her about 15 lbs a year...

100% Hawaiian Coffee | Kauai Coffee Company | Buy Coffee Online

I think her favorite is Blue Mountain..... but I know we buy others...
Old 12-09-2015, 12:14 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I do not drink coffee.... but DW does... she loves the coffee from Kuai...

You can buy online and have it shipped... I have to buy her about 15 lbs a year...

100% Hawaiian Coffee | Kauai Coffee Company | Buy Coffee Online

I think her favorite is Blue Mountain..... but I know we buy others...
wow... you can even buy green beans from them and roast them yourself !
Old 12-09-2015, 01:21 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We buy SBUX whole bead French Roast at Costco. Grind at home and prepare single servings in our 2.0 Kuerig set at 8 oz. / strong. Add a hefty squirt of Land o Lakes whipped cream.

Haven't found anything better and have looked long and hard.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I wrote out a whole reply and was about to post it, when I realized the subject of the thread was "Best Whole Bean Coffee". Being the contemptible individual that I am, I have settled on a cheap brand that comes pre-ground, so I will not be posting my reply in this thread.

Feel free to add me to your "ignore" lists
I will look away for a moment, but not ignore!

We always went for the Costco brand, Kirkland, and that was pre-ground. For an everyday coffee, it was the best. It's no longer convenient to go there, so we went for a grinder and try different beans and mixes.

What cheap brand?
Old 12-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I saw this piece from Chris Kimball today on The Rachel Ray Show that was a new one to me. He says that hot brewing coffee extracts too many of the more bitter compounds in coffee. He was advocating a cold brew approach where you steep coffee in water overnight to create a liquid concentrate that will store in the fridge for up to a week. You then dilute the concentrate 3:1 with water.

I may give it a try but not with the gadget. I'll just steep it in a container and then filter and then mix 1 part concentrate: 3 parts hot water.

4 Kitchen Gadgets That Will Save Your Life This Holiday Season

How To Make Coffee Concentrate to Serve Hot Coffee to a Crowd — Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn....
I mixed up a batch this cold brew concentrate last night, let it steep overnight and filtered it to concentrate and made a cup of hot coffee this morning (1 part concentrate to 3 parts hot water. It's good, but quite different from what I am used to... the jury is out.

But for those who are more extreme about LBYM than I am, it allegedly uses 30% less coffee than conventional how brewing.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I do think grinding whole beans before brewing makes a big difference. However, although the consensus is that expensive burr grinders are far superior to the cheaper blade ones, I can detect no difference in the result.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #30

Quote:
I mixed up a batch this cold brew concentrate last night, let it steep overnight and filtered it to concentrate and made a cup of hot coffee this morning (1 part concentrate to 3 parts hot water. It's good, but quite different from what I am used to... the jury is out.

But for those who are more extreme about LBYM than I am, it allegedly uses 30% less coffee than conventional how brewing.
This is how they always made coffee in Peru, at least where I worked. Definitely an acquired taste.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:05 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

The cold brew is less acidic, I believe, but I only make it in the summer when I drink iced coffee. MFK Fisher recommended it.

My twelve year old Capresso burr grinder cost $79 and I use it daily. I gave my parents one for Christmas last year and spent a whopping $89 on it.

Has anyone used Dean's Beans or another on-line source?
Old 12-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #32

I do Starbuck's French Roast. But I do remember the days when I could get 8-OClock (don't remember the blend) and I agree. It is amazingly good.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Having consumed instant coffee, vending machine coffee, warmed-over coffee, etc., just about anything is palatable...

But I get whole bean coffee from Costco.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I mixed up a batch this cold brew concentrate last night, let it steep overnight and filtered it to concentrate and made a cup of hot coffee this morning (1 part concentrate to 3 parts hot water. It's good, but quite different from what I am used to... the jury is out....
I had a few cups this morning. Jury is still out, but it is growing on me. Seems smoother and less bitter.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had a few cups this morning. Jury is still out, but it is growing on me. Seems smoother and less bitter.
I've done cold brew before, from what I recall it was 'smoother'. But maybe too smooth? I should try again.

I also thought it used more coffee, not less? Will need to check some recent recipes. DD (nurse) is on night shifts now (7PM-7AM 3x a wekk) , so maybe having some cold brew available for her to heat up when she wakes up late afternoon would be good. I always empty the pot, no matter how large, by then.

-ERD50
Old 12-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a fan of the flavored coffees and have been know to claim that there is a special place in Heck for people who make them. But, I do admit that I enjoy a cup of the New Mexico Piņon coffee. For some reason the roasted pine nuts augment the flavors of the coffee instead of masking it. As they say "Great coffee is a matter of oPiņon".

https://nmpinoncoffee.com/product-ca...-pinon-coffee/
Old 12-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

We tried many kinds of pre-roasted whole beans and usually liked them when we first opened the bag, then noticed that the flavor degraded over time. After learning about home roasting from a friend, we now roast about 3 different kinds of coffee every week, so we always have fresh beans. We grind them just before brewing.
For my birthday I got a Lido2 grinder which has greatly improved the flavor profile of the grind.
I know this is not what you are looking for but it's our experience.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #38

This is question that is similar to "what kind of car should I buy?" Coffee tastes are one of the most subjective things in the consumer world to have ever existed. My personal favorite is plain old Chock Full O' Nuts. We do have a local roaster here that I will frequent when he has a certain bean that is in. But even then, there are variations from batch to batch so it's never the same.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
I do think grinding whole beans before brewing makes a big difference. However, although the consensus is that expensive burr grinders are far superior to the cheaper blade ones, I can detect no difference in the result.
I agree the cheaper blade grinders can do a decent job, the problem with the blade grinder I had was that I could only grind a small quantity of beans at one time. Also with most burr grinders you can control how fine/course you want the coffee grounds, with the blade there's only one grind.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #40

With burr grinder I can get very different grinds, especially coarser for French press, and medium for filter drip.