Best Whole Bean Coffee?

Great thread. I've been grinding my own beans for quite some time now. Since my DW does not drink coffee (she's a tea drinker) and all of our kids are now out of the house and on their own, it's just me who drinks coffee on a regular basis.

Like a couple of early posters, I've tried a number of coffee brands, pretty much liked them all, but now keep coming back to Eight O'clock Coffee. I just like how they roast their beans. My favorite is the 50% Decaf - which used to be called Balanced Blend. Since I do like a lot of other brands as well, it really comes down to price for me. I can buy a 2-1/4 pound bag of Eight O'clock Coffee for $17.99 at the grocery store ($8.00/pound). But this store puts the coffee on sale about 5 to 6 times a year for $9.99 for the same 2-1/4 pound bag - that works out to be $4.44/pound. I picked up 4 bags last week at that price (2 bags of the 50% Decaf and one each of the Original and Columbian Peaks). That amount of coffee should last me for about 9 or 10 weeks - just in time to pick up some more at that price. :dance:

Try them

Google San Francisco Coffee Co. They have whole bean, ground, one cup servings, etc.
Out kids bought us a Keurig, and we use their one cups. Supposedly the best is Jamaican Blue Mountain, but unless you buy it there, it is terribly expensive.

Google San Francisco Coffee Co. They have whole bean, ground, one cup servings, etc.
Out kids bought us a Keurig, and we use their one cups. Supposedly the best is Jamaican Blue Mountain, but unless you buy it there, it is terribly expensive.

Do you mean San Francisco Bay Coffee Company?

I have had several Cuisanart Grind and Brew Coffeemakers through the years and have been happy using whole bean coffee with them. I don't have one favorite coffee. I continually try different regions, roasts and blends and have had many good cups of coffee. The search for a better cup is part of the fun.

Now that I am retired and have the time, I buy green coffee beans and roast them myself using my newly purchased Behmor 1600 Home Coffee Bean Roaster.

I buy my green beans online at Sweet Marias www.sweetmarias.com.

So far this freshly roasted coffee is far better than the store bought coffee (Starbucks from Costco) that we used to drink.

I started out roastting them in a Whirly Pop popcorn popper but recently upgraded to the Behmor 1600. It makes it easier to manage the roast.

I buy my whole beans at Costco since it's conveniently close to me, their turnover of stock is sufficiently high, and their price is good. I prefer the boldly roasted Peet's (Major Dickinson, aged Sumatra, Arabian Moka Java), except for French roast (too roasted for my tastes). Currently, Costco offers 100% Kona coffee, my favorite coffee, but even at Costco it's too expensive for daily use ($70 for 3 lbs).

Years ago, I was given what was rated the best coffee in the world, Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica, by a friend who travelled there and brought a pound of whole beans for me. I was mystified, it tasted like dirt. Could it have been counterfeit? It was selling for $80 a pound in the United States at the time.

Years ago, I was given what was rated the best coffee in the world, Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica, by a friend who travelled there and brought a pound of whole beans for me. I was mystified, it tasted like dirt. Could it have been counterfeit? It was selling for $80 a pound in the United States at the time.

I've had Blue Mountain in Jamaica and brought it home, great stuff. Now getting ripped off in Jamaica, that can happen.

I've had Blue Mountain in Jamaica and brought it home, great stuff. Now getting ripped off in Jamaica, that can happen.
+1. When I've bought Blue Mountain it has been excellent. But it's usually about double the cost of the next best choice - so I've only bought it twice as a splurge that I recall.

+1. When I've bought Blue Mountain it has been excellent. But it's usually about double the cost of the next best choice - so I've only bought it twice as a splurge that I recall.

I recall having some excellent Jamaican Blue Mountain as well. I think the best I've had was some stuff friends brought back as a gift from Hawaii, I forget the variety now, but I think it was some kind of volcano reference, and maybe peaberry? I really should remember, it was sooo good. It was also sooo $$$ (I looked up the exact gift package online), but probably cheaper if not purchased as a tourist.

-ERD50

My classmate family owns the parish where blue mountain is

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom