Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But even more surprising was the fact that I preferred Dunkin Donuts pre-ground coffee to any of the home ground, whole bean coffees.

[...]

I don't suggest that you buy the brands I like - - instead, I suggest that you do your own coffee taste challenge like I did. You may be as surprised as I was!
Peet's French Roast (we'd buy beans & grind them) used to be our absolute favorite, but it went downhill over the last few years after it was acquired by ... I forget who, but Peet's is not what it used to be. Their French Roast is often over roasted & bitter.

We hunted around for a Peet's replacement, and to our surprise, we found we really enjoy Dunkin' Donuts pre-ground Dark Roast. So you're not alone, W2R!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Best Whole Bean Coffee?
Old 12-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Best Whole Bean Coffee?

I mounted a manual coffee grinder in our kitchen after considering and rejecting the purchase of a $300 electric grinder.

This article changed my mind:
http://www.home-barista.com/grinders...ry-t16165.html

I found a knock off Spong on eBay, a "Mimosa," manufactured in Brazil probably 30 years ago, for $50. Spong manufactured many different sized models, and the No. 3 seems to hit the sweet spot in terms of size and amount of time spent turning the crank. My Spong knock off has a thumb screw on the back to widen or narrow the space between the burr and inside surface, so the fineness of the grind is adjustable. We have used this for a few years now, and it works great!

Old 12-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I are particularly fond of Peet's "Major Dickason Blend" whole bean which we can get at the local Von's.

But, we do wait for it to go on sale - then it's like a treat. VG, imho.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
DW and I are particularly fond of Peet's "Major Dickason Blend" whole bean which we can get at the local Von's.

But, we do wait for it to go on sale - then it's like a treat. VG, imho.
That was our house brew several years ago, it was very good.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemlovers View Post
I mounted a manual coffee grinder in our kitchen after considering and rejecting the purchase of a $300 electric grinder.

This article changed my mind:
Spong Coffee Mills: A Grinder for the 23rd Century - Home-Barista.com
You can get quality electric burr grinders for under $100, I have an $80 burr grinder (Capresso) that's still working great after 10 years. And cleanup is a breeze even though the article would make you think otherwise.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #46

I can see the advantage of a mounted grinder. Maybe in the next house...

We are using this electric grinder, which looks fine out on the counter. Fill it with beans once a weak and go from there.

BISTRO | Electric coffee grinder Black | Bodum Online Shop | United Kingdom

http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/d...1US/?navid=618

I take it to the garage and blow it out with compressed air every month or so. It does get messy if you don't clean it regularly.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
You can get quality electric burr grinders for under $100, I have an $80 burr grinder (Capresso) that's still working great after 10 years. And cleanup is a breeze even though the article would make you think otherwise.
Based on brand and price, sounds like the same burr grinder we have. Friends of ours bought a $300 Baratza grinder and a $350 Technivorm Moccamaster coffeemaker. I assume they make better coffee than our setup, but I couldn't spend that much. Especially since we don't normally spring for expensive beans.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
With burr grinder I can get very different grinds, especially coarser for French press, and medium for filter drip.
The single best thing I ever did to get a good cup of coffee was to get a burr grinder. And, I use less coffee also!
Old 12-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #49

Best Whole Bean Coffee?

I have a daily espresso, and i am partial to gloria jeans roast.

Made at home, burr grind, americano style.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Now I feel like a rank amateur for not having a burr grinder.

Still I like the simplicity of using ground coffee from a well sealed container. Oh well, I also by wine under $10 a bottle.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Great thread. I've been grinding my own beans for quite some time now. Since my DW does not drink coffee (she's a tea drinker) and all of our kids are now out of the house and on their own, it's just me who drinks coffee on a regular basis.

Like a couple of early posters, I've tried a number of coffee brands, pretty much liked them all, but now keep coming back to Eight O'clock Coffee. I just like how they roast their beans. My favorite is the 50% Decaf - which used to be called Balanced Blend. Since I do like a lot of other brands as well, it really comes down to price for me. I can buy a 2-1/4 pound bag of Eight O'clock Coffee for $17.99 at the grocery store ($8.00/pound). But this store puts the coffee on sale about 5 to 6 times a year for $9.99 for the same 2-1/4 pound bag - that works out to be $4.44/pound. I picked up 4 bags last week at that price (2 bags of the 50% Decaf and one each of the Original and Columbian Peaks). That amount of coffee should last me for about 9 or 10 weeks - just in time to pick up some more at that price.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #52

Try them

Google San Francisco Coffee Co. They have whole bean, ground, one cup servings, etc.
Out kids bought us a Keurig, and we use their one cups. Supposedly the best is Jamaican Blue Mountain, but unless you buy it there, it is terribly expensive.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Google San Francisco Coffee Co. They have whole bean, ground, one cup servings, etc.
Out kids bought us a Keurig, and we use their one cups. Supposedly the best is Jamaican Blue Mountain, but unless you buy it there, it is terribly expensive.
Do you mean San Francisco Bay Coffee Company?
Old 12-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Do you mean San Francisco Bay Coffee Company?
Oops Sorry You are correct
Old 12-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had several Cuisanart Grind and Brew Coffeemakers through the years and have been happy using whole bean coffee with them. I don't have one favorite coffee. I continually try different regions, roasts and blends and have had many good cups of coffee. The search for a better cup is part of the fun.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Now that I am retired and have the time, I buy green coffee beans and roast them myself using my newly purchased Behmor 1600 Home Coffee Bean Roaster.

I buy my green beans online at Sweet Marias www.sweetmarias.com.

So far this freshly roasted coffee is far better than the store bought coffee (Starbucks from Costco) that we used to drink.

I started out roastting them in a Whirly Pop popcorn popper but recently upgraded to the Behmor 1600. It makes it easier to manage the roast.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy my whole beans at Costco since it's conveniently close to me, their turnover of stock is sufficiently high, and their price is good. I prefer the boldly roasted Peet's (Major Dickinson, aged Sumatra, Arabian Moka Java), except for French roast (too roasted for my tastes). Currently, Costco offers 100% Kona coffee, my favorite coffee, but even at Costco it's too expensive for daily use ($70 for 3 lbs).

Years ago, I was given what was rated the best coffee in the world, Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica, by a friend who travelled there and brought a pound of whole beans for me. I was mystified, it tasted like dirt. Could it have been counterfeit? It was selling for $80 a pound in the United States at the time.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post

Years ago, I was given what was rated the best coffee in the world, Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica, by a friend who travelled there and brought a pound of whole beans for me. I was mystified, it tasted like dirt. Could it have been counterfeit? It was selling for $80 a pound in the United States at the time.
I've had Blue Mountain in Jamaica and brought it home, great stuff. Now getting ripped off in Jamaica, that can happen.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I've had Blue Mountain in Jamaica and brought it home, great stuff. Now getting ripped off in Jamaica, that can happen.
+1. When I've bought Blue Mountain it has been excellent. But it's usually about double the cost of the next best choice - so I've only bought it twice as a splurge that I recall.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. When I've bought Blue Mountain it has been excellent. But it's usually about double the cost of the next best choice - so I've only bought it twice as a splurge that I recall.
I recall having some excellent Jamaican Blue Mountain as well. I think the best I've had was some stuff friends brought back as a gift from Hawaii, I forget the variety now, but I think it was some kind of volcano reference, and maybe peaberry? I really should remember, it was sooo good. It was also sooo $$$ (I looked up the exact gift package online), but probably cheaper if not purchased as a tourist.

-ERD50