Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Since retirement, my bicycle (now a semi-recumbent) has again become my "go to" vehicle for local errands. Whenever the wife decides to retire, and we (hopefully) move to a location with even more resources within bicycle range, I hope I'm still in condition to keep pedaling..
Way back, I used to do 100 mile days… recently, my top has been around 27…

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I mostly ride a Bike Friday New World Tourist, a high-quality folding bike which is designed to pack into a pullman-sized suitcase. This photo was taken 2 months ago in the French Alps. I was touring with a friend who also has a Bike Friday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140608_103950.jpg (904.4 KB, 23 views)

Old 08-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #23

I bike a couple of times a week. Trek hybrid about 15 miles with DW. Also have a Trek hybrid at the az condo. Also a Trek road bike for the occasional long rides. I'd like to bike more but don't have the time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
I find that there is a high correlation for professional level cycling gear and douche-baggery.
Hey now, I might resemble that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDSS14bike.jpg (37.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 364_36461515867_1234_n.jpg (59.0 KB, 21 views)
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I've ridden bikes on and off most of my life.

In the '70s, for a while I didn't have a car, and I biked everywhere, including to the nightclub. No, I wasn't dating much...

Current bike is a Specialized Hard Rock, circa 1987. More about it in a bit...

But, our most interesting bike experience was the two years we lived on Kwajalein Atoll. The only motor vehicles were gov't-owned; all residents got around by bike. It's a very corrosive environment, so many just buy the cheap green Huffy and expect it to be a pile of rust in six months. One of our acquaintences actually pitch-poled over his handle bars when his front-wheel spokes just disintegrated.

There were a few 'bicyclists' in the spandex sense, but most just purchased the 'wide-load' seat, raised their handlebars a couple of feet with a pipe extension, and practiced riding at a speed just faster than that needed to keep from falling over. A bike trailer or two was a must, for anything from schlepping groceries to hauling scuba tanks to the marina. You could arrange for motor transportation to and from the airport, but seeing people riding with their wheely luggage in tow was common.

This .pdf describes the situation quite well: http://www.shermiewiehe.com/kwaj/kwajbikes.pdf

Back in Colorado, I've already bought a sting-ray handlebar for the Hard Rock. Now, to find a wide-a** seat...
Old 08-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #26

I have ridden bicycles most of my life - paper routes as a child, commuting 27 years, and touring. My bikes of choice have been cross bikes for the last couple decades. They took the abuse of commuting well, and were fast enough for touring. In my 20s-30s heyday I road up to 14k+ miles/year. Now it is more like 3-4k.

Riding to work was always fun, since it was very early morning (leaving home at 4-6am).

Touring is great. Careful planning led to many almost empty roads or wide shoulders. Highlights were 1 x-country, 3 LosAngeles-Denver, PortlandOR-LosAngeles. Most rides were solo, although the x-country was with a friend.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband and I purchased a DaVinci tandem five years ago and have gone on many
self contained trips since then.
If all the stars align, we are planning to ride out of our driveway and circle Lake Michigan
this fall, camping along the way.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

I bought a Giant bike on April 1st of this year. I ride for exercise and fun. So far I have over 970 miles on the bike and I love it. I was riding more in the spring and early summer but doing more stuff like golf and pickleball now as well as sailing.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Biking has been a big part of my/DW life before and during retirement. For over 20 years, we would take a one week vacation credit card touring. We would also exercise and commute. After retirement, we have taken a few multi-month trips. We ride as much as we can. And, we are active in our local bicycling advocacy groups. I encourage bikers to support better bicycling for everyone. Most states have an advocacy organization and your town might have some people who are active. The bike store might know. One of the best national organizations is the League of American Bicyclists (LAB) who developed the Bicycle Friendly America program. If your town is not already a Bicycle Friendly Community, it might be worth your effort to make it one. By having the infrastructure and encouragement programs, it will add to your bicycling enjoyment. Also, here is a link to the National Bike Challenge where you can track your miles and simply see how you are doing for fun. You can participate as an individual or get a team together. Since May, I have ridden nearly 1500 miles with about half for commuting and half for exercise. https://nationalbikechallenge.org/
Old 08-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
I mostly ride a Bike Friday New World Tourist, a high-quality folding bike which is designed to pack into a pullman-sized suitcase. This photo was taken 2 months ago in the French Alps. I was touring with a friend who also has a Bike Friday.
Beautiful picture. I would love to do that one day but my wife is not much into the doing things vacation...riding up mountains would not be high on her list of priorities
Old 08-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
I'm thinking of getting Bike Fridays for my husband and I as a retirement gift to ourselves. How do you manage the travel logistically? Do you pack the bike in a suitcase and check it? What do you do with the suitcase at your destination? Also, are you happy with the NWT? That's what I think we would also get as we are big into bike touring.

To answer the thread question, yes, I am a cyclist. However since getting my Fitbit I have not been as motivated to bike, since the "steps" you get credit for in the Fitbit are much less than when walking. I still love it though.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Hey now, I might resemble that!
Since you are a respected member of the forum I will give you a pass! lol
Old 08-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
I'm thinking of getting Bike Fridays for my husband and I as a retirement gift to ourselves. How do you manage the travel logistically? Do you pack the bike in a suitcase and check it? What do you do with the suitcase at your destination? Also, are you happy with the NWT? That's what I think we would also get as we are big into bike touring.
Yes, I pack it in the suitcase, which is just under the airlines 62" cutoff dimension limit for not having to pay any oversize baggage fees. I bought the suitcase from the Bike Friday folks, but it is an off-the-shelf hard-sided plastic suitcase.

When I reach my flight destination, I have done all of the following: I left the suitcase with a friend in Paris; I have reserved the first and last night at either a hotel or guesthouse and they have agreed to store it for me while I'm biking. Only once was I charged to store the suitcase and I was told this beforehand. It was a miniscule fee (about 50 cents/day to store it at a guesthouse in Thailand). There was one time in Mexico when the hotel would not store the suitcase although they had told me beforehand when I made the reservation that they would. However, they suggested a shop nearby which did agree to store the suitcase (and my friend's bike box) and they didn't charge us a thing.

I also bought the hardware to convert the suitcase into a trailer, and I used it once when a friend & I were arriving in one town in Canada and flying home from another. He has a Bike Friday, too, and did the same thing. The suitcase conversion was easy and the trailer was stable while riding.

I've had my Bike Friday since 2000 and I love it. I think I've ridden well over 30,000 miles on it. It's my bike of choice, though I own 2 others. It rides like a conventional bike. I use it for running errands and riding with friends.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also bought the hardware to convert the suitcase into a trailer, and I used it once when a friend & I were arriving in one town in Canada and flying home from another. He has a Bike Friday, too, and did the same thing. The suitcase conversion was easy and the trailer was stable while riding.

I did not know about the suitcase conversion. Thanks!!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
Since you are a respected member of the forum I will give you a pass! lol
When did THAT happen?
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
When did THAT happen?

The bar isn't very high...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #37

I LOVE my bicycle. I've had one most of my life. In late 2000, I got a consulting assignment in NYC. I lived in a commuter town in NNJ, but the train station had gone inactive long ago and the one 2 towns over had parking only for residents. (The bus went into midtown and I needed lower Manhattan.) I still remember bicycling through the cold, dark mornings, motivated only by the knowledge that the nice lady at the train station would sell me a cup of hot coffee for $1 when I got there.

The bicycle I owned at the time was over 20 years old. For Christmas, DH gave me a Diamondback Wildwood model. It's a hybrid and I have no idea whether it is/was a prestigious name. I've taken good care of it and it's gone thousands of miles. I know I would have done better in sprint triathlons with a lighter bike but it's practically part of me now. I've branched out into 50K charity rides- a distance that leaves me a little worn out but still feeling good (and ravenously hungry for something to replace all the calories I burn up!). It's also a good errand bike- we have a lot of stores within a 5-mile radius and it's ridiculous to take the car unless we're buying a week's worth of groceries.

I suppose sometime I'll have to give it up but I'm 61 and I hope it's a long time from now.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I tend to prefer single track, or more formal bike paths and rail trails, paved or not. For the dirt I have a ten year old Santa Cruz Blur, and for pavement I have a Cannondale cross bike that I put road tires on. Of course with working, I don't get to use them as much as I would like.

After my soon approaching retirement, I plan to do more biking (and more of many other things too). After DW retires and we move to our retirement home, I'll probably get a cruiser bike for bumming around town rather than driving.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a Trek hybrid and I love it. I just had some high rise handlebars put on it because my hands would go numb and my back couldn't take the hunched over position anymore. I ride alone and just enjoy the leisurely pace. Our city manager claims there are more bike paths in the planning for our city, but I don't think they are coming in the next few years. Our city is NOT bicycle friendly. They have bike lanes on the side of the road that just end. There is even one drainage grate that has the slots parallel to the roadway, so unless you know it is there, your tires could get caught.

Our county, OTOH has a great rails-to-trails system of paved trails, but I have to drive ten mile to get to the trailhead.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #40

I ride the hills nearby nearly every day. I am lucky I can ride to a trailhead from my house in 20 minutes and I am gone. Hill system goes on to the east for miles with a lot of single track dropping off either side along the way.

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2. Also have a vintage, rigid, cromoly Schwinn Sierra for messing around old school.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schabarum_towers_11_6_13c.jpg (978.8 KB, 19 views)