Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Just because
http://http://online.wsj.com/article...der-1407970079
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I ride the hills nearby nearly every day. I am lucky I can ride to a trailhead from my house in 20 minutes and I am gone. Hill system goes on to the east for miles with a lot of single track dropping off either side along the way.

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2. Also have a vintage, rigid, cromoly Schwinn Sierra for messing around old school.

Is this in the Puente Hills with the San Gabriel Valley in the background?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've ridden bicycles all my life although there have been dry years. In '87 when DW and I married we bought matching hybrid bikes (Specialized Street Stomper). Later I bought a used road bike to participate in sprint triathlons. A couple of knee surgeries encouraged me to get a nice road bike as incentive for therapy so I bought a Klein Quantum frame in '90 and built a nice bike. A few years later wrist and back problems forced me to hang it up in the garage rafters where it remains. In '98 DW heard about recumbents and we bought a couple of Trice (now Ice) recumbent trikes that we still ride on occasion.

These posts have encouraged me to get down the old Specialized hybrid to see if I could still ride it after a lumbar fusion a few years ago. I was a little shaky but with a good cleaning, a few adjustments, and a little lube it may be alright for around the neighborhood. The front wheel was a little "wonky" and kept rubbing against the brake pad on one side so I bought some spoke wrenches to try my hand at truing a wheel. An hour later it seems to be good so we'll see if it holds up.

Thank you all for the posts. I missed riding and they gave me encouragement to get back in the saddle even if just for short rides around the neighborhood.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #44

I understand the Schwinn Passage was only made for a couple of years and is considered collectible nowadays.

I ride a 2 year old Gunnar Sport - made in S.W. Wisconsin by Waterford bicycles that was part of Schwinn back in the day. Richard Schwinn continues to operate Waterford bikes.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
Is this in the Puente Hills with the San Gabriel Valley in the background?
Good eye.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes I do enjoy cycling. I've been riding bicycles since I was a kid. Back then it was our only source of traveling since we lived out of town and had to keep in touch with our friends who lived miles apart.
When I served in the US Navy, I did not like driving into any of the bases so I would simply bicycle into the base and park right in front of the ship. The commute by bicycle reduced my times by quite a bit.
Now my wife and I each have hybrid bicycles that we use to recreation ride when we get a chance.
I also have a Specialized Secteur Elite road bike that I take out every other day for a spin through the back roads for enjoyment and to stay in shape.
I agree that the motor is the key to cycling.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #47

Cycling has been the main sport all of my adult life with no significant gaps. Staying in shape is much easier than getting into shape is a lesson I needed to learn just once.
My heart is with touring, although fast pace-line riding is the best aerobic rush.
If I ever settle down and get a shop again, I plan to design and build from scratch a new fleet bikes for DW and I - currently six bikes.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I ride a Rans Stratus XP Aluminum (Recumbent bike) on the 13 mile round trip George Bush Park trail behind my townhouse in Houston, Tx. I see deer, snakes, and wild pigs. The recumbent bike is really what my body likes now at age 59; no more holding my head up, neck pain, numb hands, or numb crotch. Only thing is that the bike is slower because of 26" wheels. I switched to it two years ago after riding diamond frames (Cannondale Touring bike) for 25 years.

When I FIRE at the end of December, I look forward to longer (20 miles) leisurely rides, and sitting at the coffee shop and library.

I would really like to do some long distance touring with some FIRE'd people. I've solo toured in Italy, and group toured in France, but it's 20 years ago.
Grigori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #49

I passed a guy riding one of these contraptions on my Sunday ride.
I guess it would be a good solution for someone with back/seat problems and more scenic than the gym with that missing ingredient - momentum.

bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #50

Just checked on cruise critic and there are a few posts about bike friday's on cruise ships. Apparently not a problem if you check in advance and find a way to keep it in your cabin. But when the port times can are typically so short, motorized transportation will get you more places faster (i.e. rent a scooter for two for $50/day).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
I guess it would be a good solution for someone with back/seat problems and more scenic than the gym with that missing ingredient - momentum.

I see these all the time on Coronado. They sell them at one of the bike shops here. Too goofy for my taste.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #52

Even goofier are the 3-wheelers that generate momentum by pumping side to side on the steering. To each his own.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post

I'm probably a little more "over the top" than most here as a competitive triathlete:

Cervelo P3C (carbon TT bike) w/ DuraAce drive train
Cannondale Super Six (carbon road bike) w/ DuraAce drive train... full carbon all the way down to the bottle holders.
Race wheels are Zipp 606; Road race wheels are Ksyrium ES Special Edition (with the super cool red hubs!)
I train with a PowerTap on my Mavic OpenPros.

Clipless pedals - Speedplay Zeros on both bikes. Set of Sidi T2 tri shoes and Shimano 330 road shoes. Two helmets (aero and regular).

Yeah, I'm over the top... but, this past weekend, I qualified for Team USA for the World Triathlon Championships in Chicago next September. Spend your money on experiences, right?

Considering working as a wrench at a local shop in retirement. I do love tinkering with bikes!
Huge congrats!!! I've done a number of tri's over past several years (inc an IM 3 yrs ago) but I swim like a rock. I've only had one AG podium finish- 3rd at a local sprint.
My tri bike is 'only' a Cdale Slice with old HED Jet 6 wheels. I'm sure investing in a P3 would get me back on the podium
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Yeah, I'm over the top... but, this past weekend, I qualified for Team USA for the World Triathlon Championships in Chicago next September. Spend your money on experiences, right?....
Wow I didn't see this post earlier - Congrats!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post

I've seen someone using one of these around town. He was going at a pretty fast clip. I'd much rather have a bike that has a seat though.

During my morning bike ride on my small folding Dahon, an elderly woman almost took me out with her car by not stopping at a stop sign. Well, I wasn't in danger, she was probably about 15 ft away from me when I crossed the intersection but still a bit too close for comfort. She probably just wasn't paying attention and didn't see me.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #56

I think the new "give bikers 3 ft." law takes effect next week in CA, for whatever that'll be worth. Anyway 3 ft is too dang close in my book.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #57

I was in Breckenridge CO last week for a vacation and it sure is a great place for biking. Nice paved multiuse (no motor vehicles) paths that go on for miles. From downtown Breckenridge did a 35 mile bike ride to Copper Mtn. one day and a 32 mile ride around Dillon Reservoir another day and there was maybe just a one mile section of road that you had to ride on to complete the loop around the reservoir, everything else was on a paved multiuse path.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #58
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I think the new "give bikers 3 ft." law takes effect next week in CA, for whatever that'll be worth. Anyway 3 ft is too dang close in my book.
+1
Terrifying... Inexperienced driver, two lane road, rough shoulder, speed limit of 35 MPH = instant death for a bicyclist.

Apologies don't help.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #59

About 20 years ago I was in Anchorage, Alaska and was amazed at the extensive city-wide bicycle/jogging path grid. They were wide enough to allow joggers and bicycles to easily pass each other. You could go just about anywhere in the city without crossing a street. The paths went under the roads through large culverts so you were never on the road with cars. There were even paved bike paths about 10 feet or more from the roads leading to nearby towns.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I sold all my bikes and now have a folding bike and a carrying soft case. It is great. I can fold it up and go anywhere with it. It has 20" wheels and 6 speeds so it is pretty functional. Their are several companies out their but you can buy them used for less. I purchased mine used from FBike in Waltham MA for $200 + free shipping. You get better components and that, in the long run, increases the enjoyment for me.

In New England their is a current expansion of bike ways and rail trails. They have become a real community. This is great because the roads are becoming pretty unsafe with all the distracted drivers.