Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Bidet? Have one, used one, want one or not?
I've used one. 24 33.33%
I'm going to get one. 10 13.89%
I have one or more. 20 27.78%
OMG, gross. I'm sorry I read this. 24 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
That's why you shake hands with the right hand, not the left.
And why ambidextrous people are so tricky to meet.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2016, 12:51 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've used the Japanese style toilets on my trips to Thailand. I love them. At home I have a standard American toilet by Toto. I've found out that I can convert this to a bidet style for about $400. It's basically just replacing the seat. However, I also have to install an electric outlet nearby. DW isn't interested in this at all. Maybe I'll get around to the conversion after the New Year.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

When we rebuilt our bathroom (that was destroyed by an ice dam), I put in an additional outlet next to the toilet, about 12 inches from the floor. Before that I had run a short extension cord to an outlet that was further up the wall. In Japan you'll see floor-level outlets by the toilets everywhere.

Yes, Toto sells "Washlet" bidet seats, but they tend to be higher priced. The Swash models fit most Toto toilets (ours is a Toto) - some don't.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

At present only 33% of respondents to the poll (21/63) have ever even USED a bidet. One of those 21 was me; although I don't travel any more, of course I used them abroad when I was a kid and spent so much time overseas. Haven't encountered any lately, but wouldn't be totally floored if I did.

What's the deal? I thought this was the forum where "experiences, not things" was the mantra. Are you all not encountering bidets? Bidets are one of those experiences, although more common in certain countries than in others. Are they out of vogue these days? This just does not make sense, especially given the extensive traveling that so many here seem to do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
At present only 33% of respondents to the poll (21/63) have ever even USED a bidet. One of those 21 was me; although I don't travel any more, of course I used them abroad when I was a kid and spent so much time overseas. Haven't encountered any lately, but wouldn't be totally floored if I did.

What's the deal? I thought this was the forum where "experiences, not things" was the mantra. Are you all not encountering bidets? Bidets are one of those experiences, although more common in certain countries than in others. Are they out of vogue these days? This just does not make sense, especially given the extensive traveling that so many here seem to do.
I've traveled in SE Asia a lot this past year. Mostly what you see in the developed areas are the hose adjacent to the toilet. You will see the bidet/toilet seats in the higher end hotels. The modern malls will definitely have hoses and maybe bidets or a combination. Out in the country you will see a combination of squat and toilets/hoses. Hotels owned by westerners will have western toilets with toilet paper. Occasionally in a less developed area I will see a toilet and a bucket and ladle.

The hose is fine with me. The toilet seat bidet is a much appreciated luxury.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Indeed it is!

I live in a 1400 sq-ft tract (cookie cutter) house built by America's leading econo home builder, Kaufman & Broad.

But I have 2 bidet seats -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I've traveled in SE Asia a lot this past year. Mostly what you see in the developed areas are the hose adjacent to the toilet. You will see the bidet/toilet seats in the higher end hotels. The modern malls will definitely have hoses and maybe bidets or a combination. Out in the country you will see a combination of squat and toilets/hoses. Hotels owned by westerners will have western toilets with toilet paper. Occasionally in a less developed area I will see a toilet and a bucket and ladle.

The hose is fine with me. The toilet seat bidet is a much appreciated luxury.
But as you point out, you have seen and I presume used a bidet. I mean seriously, 2/3 of respondents NEVER used a bidet? Not in Europe, even? Among these extensive world travelers? What a mystery.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #68

Quote:

I sure hope you didn't do statistics for a living.
21 have used one.
Another 19 have one or more bidets so we can assume they have used one.
And another 8 are getting one so maybe can assumed to have used one.
So seems to me 48 of 63 have used a bidet.

So 2/3 have.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:31 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Maybe some didn't see that it was a multiple choice poll?
Old 11-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I sure hope you didn't do statistics for a living.
21 have used one.
Another 19 have one or more bidets so we can assume they have used one.
And another 8 are getting one so maybe can assumed to have used one.
So seems to me 48 of 63 have used a bidet.

So 2/3 have.
This was a multiple choice poll. It even repeats that fact on the reported results of the poll. So hopefully, those who checked that they own a bidet, also checked off that they had used one? I hope you didn't do statistics for a living! So only 1/3 have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Maybe some didn't see that it was a multiple choice poll?
Maybe not, but I can't imagine anybody not seeing that. Oh well.

And even if everybody was PUI, so that somehow nobody saw that it was multiple choice, still, that would mean that maybe 1/3 of our well traveled membership has never seen a bidet (instead of the actual 2/3 that apparently haven't). Either way it's shocking. I really didn't think that many would be blowing smoke.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #71

No stats for my living thankfully.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:29 PM   #72

Quote:
But as you point out, you have seen and I presume used a bidet. I mean seriously, 2/3 of respondents NEVER used a bidet? Not in Europe, even? Among these extensive world travelers? What a mystery.
I will admit that, until a year ago, I hadn't used one either. Before my first trip to Thailand I researched squat toilets on the internet and practiced in the back yard with a bucket and ladle.

I'm sure that is TMI for most people but I believe in being prepared.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I will admit that, until a year ago, I hadn't used one either. Before my first trip to Thailand I researched squat toilets on the internet and practiced in the back yard with a bucket and ladle.

I'm sure that is TMI for most people but I believe in being prepared.
You were definitely well prepared!

Old 11-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't answer the poll. But as I said earlier, I think traditionally the bidet was not an appliance to use everytime one relieved himself, but part of one's morning cleansing routine, in lieu of the full daily bath. Those bidets are the porcelain stand-alones, and I haven't seen one in a European or Central American hotel room for decades, never mind North America (because now there are full baths "en suite" in newer hotel rooms, vs a sink and bidet in the room and the bath down the hall we used to encounter). I don't consider the personal cleansing features of Japanese-style electric plumbed toilet seats to be the same as the traditional old-school bidet (and I have seen the Japanese "bidets" only in Japan--always with plenty of toilet tissue to finish the cleansing, btw), and wouldn't really want either of them. I think they are somewhat faddish, like the whirlpool Jacuzzis that used to be must-haves but now are being replaced by walk-in showers. But what ever floats your boat!

Ps: Here Crocodile Dundee encounters a traditional bidet:
Old 11-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #75

Having never used a bidet I can only surmise, perhaps incorrectly, that an issue is the duration of the drying process sans toilet paper. It makes me wonder if in general bidets are more often found where the local populace tends to have less body hair, especially in the body region being water sprayed.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Having never used a bidet I can only surmise, perhaps incorrectly, that an issue is the duration of the drying process sans toilet paper. It makes me wonder if in general bidets are more often found where the local populace tends to have less body hair, especially in the body region being water sprayed.
The fancy Japanese bidets have air driers. However, I've found that residual wetness is very quickly not a problem. The toilet paper can be used to blot dry but very minimal is needed. I've been using them in Thailand which is always hot and sweaty. The residual turns out not to be much more than sweating.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I use the paper to "blot" once. I look at it after.

If any "brown" is seen I push the button again and sit a while more.

After no brown is found I flush it all down.

Fini.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:31 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I didn't answer the poll since I felt no answers fit. That is, I haven't used one, don't have one, don't currently plan to get one, but don't find them gross. I just hadn't really thought it before. This thread makes me interested I guess.

One question I do have: How do you make sure the water, umm, hits the right place. Do you have to angle it each time you use the toilet or what?

W2R - I haven't come across a bidet. I've traveled quite a bit in the US and never saw one. When I was in high school (early 1970s) I went on a trip to Europe and have a very vague recollection of seeing one maybe at one of the hotels. But, if I did, I didn't use it (and I may be remembering something from a movie).

I did spend a few weeks in Vietnam some years ago, but the hotels I stayed in had regular toilets and no bidet.

I've been to England a few times as an adult and didn't see one there either....
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I didn't answer the poll since I felt no answers fit. That is, I haven't used one, don't have one, don't currently plan to get one, but don't find them gross......
+1 And I have never seen one anywhere but in pictures.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:46 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
One question I do have: How do you make sure the water, umm, hits the right place. Do you have to angle it each time you use the toilet or what?
For the Washlet-style bidet seats, or toilets with built-in bidets, the controls usually include "front" and "back" buttons (the "front" button would be more typically used by women), and buttons to adjust the position back and forth. Some have oscillating action back and forth, and you can adjust spray width, water pressure and temperature.