Join Early Retirement Today

BJJ
Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BJJ

Did something that was pretty out of my element last night and took a Brazilian Jui Jitsu class. The class was free and I thought it would only be to observe, but they handed me a jacket/pants/belt (there is a term for this, but I do not know what it is) and I ended up doing everything the class did, but not too well compared to the 20-30 somethings who have been doing this for some time.

I must say it was a really good workout and I was wringing with sweat when done, and this morning I feel pretty sore. They told me it would probably take a month to get used to these workouts.

The reason I did this was because I was looking for something else to supplement my 3X weight lifting workouts that would help with my flexability. I think this might do it for me, but it too requires committing to 3-4 classes/workouts a week. The good news is that they agreed to extend the police/military discount to me since I am a local COPS volunteer. I'm going to chew on this for another day or so, but am leaning towards signing up for the program as it does provide structure and support system. If I was retired, the decision to sign up would be an easy one, but right now while I'm still working, I'm a little worried about biting off more than I can chew.

Claim is to earn a blue belt within a year. I have no idea about how these belts work progress wise, but moving up is not very important to me vs the health benefits of just taking the classes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Did something that was pretty out of my element last night and took a Brazilian Jui Jitsu class. The class was free and I thought it would only be to observe, but they handed me a jacket/pants/belt (there is a term for this, but I do not know what it is) and I ended up doing everything the class did, but not too well compared to the 20-30 somethings who have been doing this for some time.

I must say it was a really good workout and I was wringing with sweat when done, and this morning I feel pretty sore. They told me it would probably take a month to get used to these workouts.

The reason I did this was because I was looking for something else to supplement my 3X weight lifting workouts that would help with my flexability. I think this might do it for me, but it too requires committing to 3-4 classes/workouts a week. The good news is that they agreed to extend the police/military discount to me since I am a local COPS volunteer. I'm going to chew on this for another day or so, but am leaning towards signing up for the program as it does provide structure and support system. If I was retired, the decision to sign up would be an easy one, but right now while I'm still working, I'm a little worried about biting off more than I can chew.

Claim is to earn a blue belt within a year. I have no idea about how these belts work progress wise, but moving up is not very important to me vs the health benefits of just taking the classes.
Sounds exciting. I have seen these classes, and they look demanding.

Ha

Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #3

Congrats on signing up, and on making through your first class! I trained BJJ for about 10yrs, with some long breaks, and even spent a summer in Rio getting my butt kicked. I finally "retired" last year due to injuries and concern about further injuries.

You're embarking on a great journey. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Oh, sorry. Didn't notice the second J.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Sounds exciting. I have seen these classes, and they look demanding.

Ha
Demanding for old geezers for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Congrats on signing up, and on making through your first class! I trained BJJ for about 10yrs, with some long breaks, and even spent a summer in Rio getting my butt kicked. I finally "retired" last year due to injuries and concern about further injuries.

You're embarking on a great journey. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Wow Onward, sounds like you know your way around the mat or octagon. I was grappling last night with a Brazilian who was quite a bit bigger than me, and he was just toying with me. I can just imagine what would happen if he wanted to hurt me Also, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post

Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
You are quite a bad boy