Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Blogging about Caveman Diet Causes Legal Woes
Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Blogging about Caveman Diet Causes Legal Woes

Seems you can run into trouble in North Carolina if you post nutritional viewpoints. Given this, we better look out


Reason Magazine - Hit & Run
__________________

__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Hey, we have to protect the fatherland. Remember, the Land of the Free..oh, well, never mind.
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,645
Summaries always help. Basically, a guy with diabetes went on a paleo diet and got his weight down and chemistry right in about 30 days. He was so impressed that he started blogging about his diet. After arguing with a doctor at a hospital diabetes meeting he came to the Attention of the State Nutrition Board. They looked at his site and charged him with dispensing advice which he can't do unless he gets a license. He can blog about his experience but not recommend that others do the same and he can't respond to questions from visitors asking for dietary recommendation.

The guy is at Diabetes Warrior if you want to follow what becomes of him.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,049
Eh, it makes sense to me. He has a personal story to tell. He's not qualified to give out advice on diabetes, especially for one-on-one counseling (!).

Since the blogger can still blog, Reason has little reason (har!) to gripe,
"But that someone should be able to describe his experiences with it and advocate for his own good results should go without saying".
__________________
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Summaries always help. Basically, a guy with diabetes went on a paleo diet and got his weight down and chemistry right in about 30 days. He was so impressed that he started blogging about his diet. After arguing with a doctor at a hospital diabetes meeting he came to the Attention of the State Nutrition Board. They looked at his site and charged him with dispensing advice which he can't do unless he gets a license. He can blog about his experience but not recommend that others do the same and he can't respond to questions from visitors asking for dietary recommendation.

The guy is at Diabetes Warrior if you want to follow what becomes of him.
Thanks for the summary.
__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
I can see both sides, but I think the blogger could easily win this.

If every response started with "I can't advise you, but here is what I'd do..." would that fix it?

There are of course thousands of blogs like that, and I'm sure there are a few more in NC.

I wonder whether they would bother if he were promoting a low fat diet?
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Wow, he posts about a continuous glucose monitor. If those things ever become consumer items, it will cause a revolution in diets.
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 643
I can see why he's having some trouble. The writing has a breezy, revival tent tone and he seems to brush off some basic disclosures. Instead of saying he's type 2, and giving a full history, he mentions insulin resistance at one point and gives no further history.

He may have luck with the regime for a while, but this is a progressive disease, and while his methods contribute to control significantly, a few people may take the plan too much to heart, and do something stupid. That said, laying off carbs and exercising are powerful when made part of a rational plan. I personally don't think his extreme diet is rational, ok for a test, but 30 days?

Better if he provided and A1c history and bloodwork to go with.
__________________
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Probably not surprising given how everything these days seems rise to viral level, is politically incorrect or someones going to get sued.

Boy do I ever yearn for life as it was back when I was a teen
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
This is how I interpret the tone of his blog: He's someone who got the standard diabetes advice: avoid fat, take medicine, and eat whole grains. After some reading, he saw that many people feel that that is very bad advice. So, he decided to experiment, and concluded that for him at least, the standard advice was wrong.

He was outraged that the ADA is giving bad advice, and feels that the advice might even be designed to increase drug consumption. It's that outrage that leads to the "warrior" type tone of his blog.
__________________
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
antmary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 542
Just follow the money...who may be threatened in some way? Dieticians? or....?
__________________
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
I personally don't think his extreme diet is rational
I think you mean "sensible" rather than "rational." It is based on reason and logic.

__________________
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 643
Yes, you are correct, sensible is what I meant.

What is your point in including the attachment [nmsociety]
__________________
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Yes, you are correct, sensible is what I meant.

What is your point in including the attachment [nmsociety]
I just wanted to show that there is logic involved in avoiding carbohydrates. Plus I think it is a fun poster, and illustrates the frustration with the ADA that the blogger feels. That is, a kind of "I don't get it!" feeling.
__________________
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,049
He also claims that his diet will control, "those who are diabetic or others who have inflammatory diseases like asthma, arthritis, Crohns or Celiacs etc etc." Any kook can claim anything on the internet but not when you hold yourself as an expert and start charging others for the advice.

I eat a LOT of whole grains and carbs and have almost exclusively for 15 years. Am I now an expert because I don't have diabetes? Can I start charging money to control your diabetes (because, well, I've never had it)?
__________________
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 643
I take your point. The" i don't get it feeling" can crop up frequently theses days for me as well, eg Harvard school of public health, american heart Assn, ADA, etc. Organizations like those suffer from enormous inertia for various reasons.

Care must also be taken with the revival tent over-reaction that we see in alot of diet based stuff as well. while it may seem obvious to you, and most others here, it is careful regulation of carb intake that diabetics must attempt to practice, not elimination; after all our brains require and all cells are fueled by glucose. And while it may be dramatic and fun to declare that "diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate intolerance" why not stick to the clinical facts and describe the actual mechanisms [ie no insulin in type ones, insulin resistance and undetermined pancreas output in type twos] ? If people are going to effectively grapple with this stuff, they need facts, not characterizations.

The nanny-state and free speech stuff, different issue.
__________________
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Quote:
Care must also be taken with the revival tent
I've recently realized how much this diet stuff is like religion. People get just as defensive and argumentative about it.

Quote:
...after all our brains require and all cells are fueled by glucose.
It's just not true that carbs are required for the brain.

It's a common misconception that carbs are needed for the brain.

From:

Your Brain On Ketones | Psychology Today
Fortunately, we have a terrific system of fuel for periods of fasting or low carbohydrate eating - our body (and brain) can readily shift from burning glucose to burning what are called ketone bodies.

It is true that some parts of some brain cells can only burn glucose, but fortunately our bodies can turn protein into glucose through a process known as gluconeogenesis. This fact means that while there are essential requirements for both fat or protein (meaning we would die without eating at least some fat and at least some protein), we can live quite happily while consuming no carbohydrate at all. That's not saying there aren't some disadvantages or side effects to a so-called "zero carb" diet, but it won't cause the massive health problems and death that consuming zero fat or zero protein would.

...

Ketosis for the body means fat-burning (hip hip hooray!). For the brain, it means a lower seizure risk and a better environment for neuronal recovery and repair.
__________________
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 643
So you are saying burn through all your fat, then begin to add carbohydrates to match your metabolism, or avoid carb entirely and ride the ragged edge of ketosis by sticking to protein meals?

BTW, are you a diabetic?
__________________
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
So you are saying burn through all your fat, then begin to add carbohydrates to match your metabolism, or avoid carb entirely and ride the ragged edge of ketosis by sticking to protein meals?

BTW, are you a diabetic?
Funny, I've been in "moderate"ketosis for almost 15 years and haven't noticed the ragged part yet.
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #20
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Seems you can run into trouble in North Carolina if you post nutritional viewpoints. Given this, we better look out


Reason Magazine - Hit & Run
If the authorities are going to require bloggers to have certain standards they should apply the same to other fields. Of course, I'm thinking finance and politics. Can you imagine what the internets would be like if blogging were limited to people that actually know what they were talking about?
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.