Blood poisoning ...bacteria in your blood

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My relative, 66, a biking enthusiast and always active it was a surprise when a lower back budging disc suddenly had him in some nasty pain. I could see he was really uncomfortable. It wasn’t associated with any pop event like mine was. We live a few states away so I don’t get regular feedback. I heard subsequently he had some disc trimming done - it sounded like a laminectomy He said a helped a little. A day after I last saw him he was going in for a shot - cortisone i assume. Another day later pain flaired up in his shoulders and side- it must have been very bad they went to the emergency room. They couldn’t find anything -he asked if it could be the shot and they said no. The pain returned a day later and they admitted him. The wife said he looked awful, the verdict bacteria in his blood.. i looked it up: blood poisoning. Not good. The wife said today he is much improved but still had swelling in his chest on one side . They were in the queue for an MRI. I am clearly no doctor but I’d say odds are it was the shot. Anyway its all happened so incredibly fast.

Ever hear of anything like this?

Last edited:
My relative, 66, a biking enthusiast and always active it was a surprise when a lower back budging disc suddenly had him in some nasty pain. I could see he was really uncomfortable. It wasn’t associated with any pop event like mine was. We live a few states away so I don’t get regular feedback. I heard subsequently he had some disc trimming done - it sounded like a linectomy He said a helped a little. A day after I last saw him he was going in for a shot - cortisone i assume. Another day later pain flaired up in his shoulders and side- it must have been very bad they went to the emergency room. They couldn’t find anything -he asked if it could be the shot and they said no. The pain returned a day later and they admitted him. The wife said he looked awful, the verdict bacteria in his blood.. i looked it up blood poisoning. Not good. The wife said today he is much improved but still had swelling in his chest on one side . They were in the queue for an MRI. I am clearly no doctor but I’d say odds are it was the shot. Anyway its all happened so incredibly fast.

Could have been the shot or could been introduced during surgery. Possibly didn't give him a long enough run of antibiotics after the surgery

Just 2 or 3 weeks ago a famous opera singer died from sepsis following back surgery to correct a problem sustained in a fall a few yrs ago.

Bacteria in the blood = septicemia = not uncommon unfortunately for patients admitted into hospitals these days.
Has always occurred in small percentage of post surgical patients.
More recognized recently to the general population due to coverage of nosocomial MRSA infections.

Hopefully he will be given the correct antibiotic for an adequate length of time to eradicate the bacteria causing his infection.
(retired microbiologist here)

Bacteria in the blood = septicemia = not uncommon unfortunately for patients admitted into hospitals these days.

And, I believe, septicemia can lead to sepsis......which is something you do not want to get...been there, caught that.

Bacteria in the blood is called bacteremia. Sepsis refers to the injury and consequences in the body caused by the body's response to infection. If the bacteria were actually in the blood then this is still often referred to as septicemia although the usage is now discouraged as the bacteria does not have to be in the blood to cause sepsis. Infections restricted to a specific site such as the lung or kidney can lead to a response (started by the immune system) that gives one sepsis - poor organ perfusion, organ dysfunction, and possibly low blood pressure (septic shock).

Most of us will get a degree of bacteremia when we brush our teeth but the bacteria tend to be rather benign generally and the body quickly clears them from circulation without any issue.

Husband's closest friend lived an extremely "clean" life - never smoked, drank little, lean body, never had a health problem worth mentioning. In his early 70's he had gall bladder surgery, got septicemia, and nearly died. He didn't "recover," either. Lived several more years in great discomfort, declining cognition, 15 different medications a day...not what you'd call "living." He and his wife blamed the hospital, but couldn't prove anything.

Stay out of hospitals if you have any choice whatsoever.

I think everyone agrees, actually. It's just that sometimes you HAVE to have surgery, and then how can you control what goes on? You can't.

Twice I've had to have emergency surgery, or bleed to death (miscarriage). It is such a helpless feeling.

It's like how we all say we'll refuse to go to the old folks' home, but at some point we know we may have no choice.

+1, I started a thread awhile back about this very issue. A few posters on that thread found fault in my message.

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...rgery-and-constantly-wash-my-hands-92510.html

I probably wouldn’t have any voluntary surgery at this age. But when your gall bladder needs to go you don’t have a choice.

We get daily updates on his condition ... Based on what I’ve read here i suspect his lung is infected (thus the swelling) I hope to hear improving— MRA was scheduled for yesterday... pretty scary for the family....

M

i had it when i was 18, almost died - had to get a mainline shot of antibiotics from the dr

not sure how i got it but i had a pretty bad infection on my arm from football

Feedback is results from mri arent in yet... pain when meds wear off persist. Swelling on right side is now referred to as a ‘lump’... all 2nd hand info so we will see. Still we are worried.

I'm getting hip replaced next month. I really need to have it done in the hospital. :blush:

Ive done 2 knees, they are infection crazy... cleaning, fresh pajamas, scrubbing my knee pre operation, then theres the premeds before you hit the dentist. You’ll be fine..and you’ll be more mobile after... its been great for me.

Ive done 2 knees, they are infection crazy... cleaning, fresh pajamas, scrubbing my knee pre operation, then theres the premeds before you hit the dentist. You’ll be fine..and you’ll be more mobile after... its been great for me.

Knees are harder to install and get working right, I"m happy to hear you did well!

This is my second hip replacement. Four inch incision if the front, no muscle cut, no scheduled PT with this procedure (anterior procedure). But still the infection threat!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom