Join Early Retirement Today

Blood Pressure...arrrgh
Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Blood Pressure...arrrgh

So this morning I nearly swooned at work and was carted off to the medical department. (Yes, I said the "w' word.) They checked me out and shipped me to my physician...I left clutching a prescription for blood pressure meds and instructions to lay off the salt and learn coping mechanisms for stress.

NO SALT?? So this is hell.

I'm whiney.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sarah, no biggie. If this is the worst thing you have to worry about in life you'll be all set. There are other seasonings after all.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
After a while you won't miss the salt.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't add extra salt to my food - - never have. But once I tried living on a low salt diet, and it is very difficult to do! So many foods are naturally salty.

My sympathies.

Maybe once your BP is under control, you might be able to have something salty on rare occasions, at least.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
After a while you won't miss the salt.
not only that.........many foods will start tasting too salty ......which will help you keep control.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

What was the blood pressure?
flpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
So this morning I nearly swooned at work and was carted off to the medical department. (Yes, I said the "w' word.) They checked me out and shipped me to my physician...I left clutching a prescription for blood pressure meds and instructions to lay off the salt and learn coping mechanisms for stress.

NO SALT?? So this is hell.

I'm whiney.
Time to FIRE< remove the stress, and then eat all the pickles you want..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

There's a substantial population of people for whom eliminating salt
doesn't lower blood pressure. Do the experiment on yourself ... you
may not have any benefit from lowering salt. Not a physician, but
this is what I've read ...

Exercise, exercise, exercise ...
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

In my case cutting back on salt didn't make a lick of difference. Exercise and weight loss have made a huge difference though. I've dropped from the 140s over 90s to the 1teens over 70ish in a year or so. However, I don't eat that much salt anyway. It's not intentional, it's a side effect of eating healthier in general. Salad just isn't that salty. I get most of my salt from the rim of the glass.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #10

I went to see the doctor today myself, because I know my BP is higher than it oughta be. Also, my glucose is too high. He put me on Lisinopril 10mg for starters. Once my lab results are read, I'm pretty sure I'll be taking meds for that (sugar) as well. I haven't done a good job of taking care of myself, and now I'm hoping it's not too late.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

An anecdote to share: A close relative in his early 70's developed seriously elevated BP. Stress was blamed, since relative had been going through a rough patch. Age, of course, was also blamed, as tends to happen.

Doctor put him on BP medicine, which brought down the pressure, but relative was unhappy. Saw himself chained to BP meds for the rest of his life. He has always been the sort who hates taking medicine of any kind.

Bottom line, he got busy and lost 20 pounds (hadn't exactly been "fat," but didn't miss the 20, either); and the BP plummeted. He was taking his BP regularly, but neglected to take his medicine sometimes, and still the pressure came down. Finally, he stopped taking the medicine entirely, and still got good readings. The doctor did say there could be a connection between the weight loss and the BP reduction.

May not apply to OP's case - OP may have no extra weight to lose - YMMV, etc. etc. - just thought it was worth mentioning.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Also, have your thyroid checked. DH's blood pressure dropped into normal range when he was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and put on thyroid meds. He's always been thin, always exercised, but always had high-ish BP. Restricting salt had no effect on it.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
May not apply to OP's case - OP may have no extra weight to lose - YMMV, etc. etc. - just thought it was worth mentioning.
I suspect exercise is more important than weight loss. I know plenty of people who are "normal" weight but have high BP. But AFAIK none of the "in shape" people I know have it. Additionally, I know a few heavier people who are active and have normal BP. Of course, as everyone else says, YMMV.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm fairly active and not overweight...so I'll go with stress and maybe genetics. My mother hardly weighed 100 pounds her entire life but she had high BP and a Type A personality.

Wine. That's the ticket.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
I'm fairly active and not overweight...so I'll go with stress and maybe genetics. My mother hardly weighed 100 pounds her entire life but she had high BP and a Type A personality.

Wine. That's the ticket.
Whine while you wine and dine on a salt free diet - that's the way we do it

Seriously, we never add salt to anything and actively seek low salt foods and quickly got used to it a good few years ago. Plenty of excellent salt-free spices out there.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
From an evolutionary perspective: humans need (and crave) small amounts of fat and salt. They are rare in the diet of hunter-gatherers.

Now we can and do consume vast quantities.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #17

Quote:

Wine. That's the ticket.

I learned from Rich on this forum that for some of us, wine will raise the blood pressure. The day after having a glass or two of wine, my BP is elevated. If I lay off for about 3-4 days my BP is normal. Rich is the only Dr that I've heard mention this factor. It's even hard to find through an Internet search. But alcohol is definitely a factor for me as well as caffeine.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I learned from Rich on this forum that for some of us, wine will raise the blood pressure. The day after having a glass or two of wine, my BP is elevated. If I lay off for about 3-4 days my BP is normal. Rich is the only Dr that I've heard mention this factor.
This is interesting, since I have read and even heard from doctors, that a glass of wine per day (particularly red) is good for the heart.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They checked me out and shipped me to my physician...I left clutching a prescription for blood pressure meds and instructions to lay off the salt and learn coping mechanisms for stress.
This is reminiscent of Army medics slapping a gauze bandage on a flesh wound and wrapping the tape extra tight so that they can get you back into combat before the next quarter's financial results are due troops are slaughtered.

When I was working, even at the Navy's "low stress" submarine training commands, I'd routinely run 145/85 and get threatened with the whole high-BP regime. Today, nearly seven years into ER, my BP is 115/70. There was only one clinically-significant change to contributing factors over that period, and it wasn't salt or medications...

Spouse was usually around 110/70 during her working days, and now she's as low as 95/55.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
This is interesting, since I have read and even heard from doctors, that a glass of wine per day (particularly red) is good for the heart.
It would be uncommon for 1 drink per day to have a major effect on most people's blood pressure, but some are genetically more sensitive than others to the effects.

I'd suggest that you check your own BP in relationship to alcohol intake. I think most people won't notice much difference. Start getting up to 3 drinks a day or more and it's a different story. Over 10% of hypertensive men probably have it as a result of excess alcohol intake.

I do believe that 1-2 glasses of wine a day probably has more benefit than risk for people without other medical conditions such as liver or GI problems, alcoholism, etc.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote